Video/TV on secondary screen

Old October 26th 03, 04:44 PM
Willem-Jan Markerink

Default Video/TV on secondary screen

Being annoyed with the fact that I can't move a streaming video window to the
secondary screen (without it going black), and after some googling, I found
that none of the G400/550 cards can do video on the secondary screen, is that
correct?

Therefor the question:
Which of the later/newer Matrox cards can show video/TV on the secondary
screen?
Or perhaps one of the older quad-cards?
Were these not used also as multi-camera monitors in industrial settings?

(yes, I have been pondering about reversing primary to secondary and vice
versa, but I have the nasty feeling that I can't move the default XP taskbar
to the secondary monitor, and that would throw a lot of ergonomy out of the
window)
(wouldn't mind expanding the taskbar over both monitors either! (can't be
done I guess?))
(I even thought about using two ordinary video cards, but with AGP there is
only one slot....or would running a second on PCI not matter much, not more
than it would matter in the past with PCI-only slots, using two PCI-cards?)

Thanx for any solutions!

--
Bye,

Willem-Jan Markerink

The desire to understand
is sometimes far less intelligent than
the inability to understand

[note: 'a-one' & 'en-el'!]
Old October 28th 03, 07:07 AM
Niko Salminen

"Willem-Jan Markerink" wrote:
Being annoyed with the fact that I can't move a streaming video window to

the
secondary screen (without it going black), and after some googling, I

found
that none of the G400/550 cards can do video on the secondary screen, is

that
correct?

Nope. I currently have set up a G400 with my TV as a secondary monitor. I
can play videos fine on both primary and secondary monitors while windowed,
except for some strange freeze in playback when I drag the window from one
monitor to the other, which can get pretty annoying and at first convinced
me for a moment that video playback on the secondary can't be done.

The way I'm using my system at the moment is DVDMax. I'm not sure if you've
tried it, but I definately suggest giving it a go. It works by zooming a
windowed overlay video on the primary display to the secondary monitor and
playing it full-screen. At least on my 24" TV, I can't tell the difference
between a DVD and a ripped DivX.

(yes, I have been pondering about reversing primary to secondary and vice
versa, but I have the nasty feeling that I can't move the default XP

taskbar
to the secondary monitor, and that would throw a lot of ergonomy out of

the
window)

I also tried this at first (though on 2k, not XP). The taskbar seems to open
on the currently defined primary monitor when windows starts up, but doesn't
change it's place when switching primary and secondary monitors. However,
most (all) new windows open in the secondary monitor, which can be a pain.

(wouldn't mind expanding the taskbar over both monitors either! (can't be
done I guess?))

Not in my experience.

(I even thought about using two ordinary video cards, but with AGP there

is
only one slot....or would running a second on PCI not matter much, not

more
than it would matter in the past with PCI-only slots, using two

PCI-cards?)

Stick with your current card, it will work fine once we get you set up...

-Niko

Old October 29th 03, 01:47 AM
Willem-Jan Markerink

"Niko Salminen" wrote in
:

"Willem-Jan Markerink" wrote:
[...]

Perhaps I should have mentioned my card, G550/dual-DVI, 2x analog PC-
monitor connected, not monitor+TV (that's also the context of the further
questions about taskbars moving/reversing and/or expanding to the other
monitor).
Or are you saying that PC vs TV shouldn't matter for your solution?

Only used the rather default RealMedia and WindowsMedia viewers/windows, no
fancy software yet....is that really the solution?

Old October 30th 03, 08:15 AM
R.Roth

Hi group,
and WJ,

I have the G400 and you're right,
the second monitor will not play video content.

I have not tried this - hook the secondary monitor connection to a TV
set. Let us know what heppens.

ray