Power supply at the bottom of the computer chassis?

Old March 14th 10, 09:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps)

Default Power supply at the bottom of the computer chassis?

Would it suck a lot of dust like a vacuum cleaner?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.33
Old March 14th 10, 09:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
SteveH

Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) wrote:
Would it suck a lot of dust like a vacuum cleaner?

Do you just get bored easy or something, what with this constant stream of
crap questions?

No, a PSU in the bottom of the case doesn't vacuum up anything, unless the
case designer was stupid enough to put holes in the case directly under the
PSU fan, which certainly isn't the case in my Antec P180.

And shorten yer oversized sig line.

--
SteveH

Old March 14th 10, 12:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps)

No, a PSU in the bottom of the case doesn't vacuum up anything, unless the
case designer was stupid enough to put holes in the case directly under the
PSU fan, which certainly isn't the case in my Antec P180.

You talking about a dust filter? I was talking about a regular hole!
The old design (power supply at the top) should be more tolerant to dust.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.33
^ ^ 20:03:01 up 6 days 4:24 0 users load average: 0.00 0.00 0.00
Old March 14th 10, 12:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
TVeblen

On 3/14/2010 5:29 AM, Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) wrote:

Would it suck a lot of dust like a vacuum cleaner?

Most power supplies suck air in through the bottom (or top) of the unit
and exhaust it out the back as their cooling strategy. If the air is
dusty it will suck in the dust also. Most time the air comes from inside
the case, so the air comes through the case intakes. Most cases have a
screen on the intakes. Short answer: it probably doesn't matter where in
the case it is, but if you keep your case on the floor and never clean
your screens or blow out the case then it might see a greater than
average flow of dust.
Old March 14th 10, 12:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
TVeblen

On 3/14/2010 5:56 AM, SteveH wrote:
Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) wrote:
Would it suck a lot of dust like a vacuum cleaner?

Do you just get bored easy or something, what with this constant stream of
crap questions?

No, a PSU in the bottom of the case doesn't vacuum up anything, unless the
case designer was stupid enough to put holes in the case directly under the
PSU fan, which certainly isn't the case in my Antec P180.

And shorten yer oversized sig line.

Is this a newsgroup or a tree fort?
Old March 14th 10, 03:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
SteveH

TVeblen wrote:
On 3/14/2010 5:56 AM, SteveH wrote:
Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) wrote:
Would it suck a lot of dust like a vacuum cleaner?

Do you just get bored easy or something, what with this constant
stream of crap questions?

No, a PSU in the bottom of the case doesn't vacuum up anything,
unless the case designer was stupid enough to put holes in the case
directly under the PSU fan, which certainly isn't the case in my
Antec P180. And shorten yer oversized sig line.

Is this a newsgroup or a tree fort?

No, theres not tree forts, just the one.

--
SteveH

Old March 14th 10, 03:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
SteveH

Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) wrote:
No, a PSU in the bottom of the case doesn't vacuum up anything,
unless the case designer was stupid enough to put holes in the case
directly under the PSU fan, which certainly isn't the case in my
Antec P180.

You talking about a dust filter? I was talking about a regular hole!
The old design (power supply at the top) should be more tolerant to
dust.

I'm talking about no hole at all. The PSU in my P180 gets its air from the
front of the case, the same as if it was at the top, except its /nearer/ to
the source of incoming cool air, which should be better for it.

--
SteveH

Old March 14th 10, 09:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
ToolPackinMama

On 3/14/2010 5:56 AM, SteveH wrote:
Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) wrote:
Would it suck a lot of dust like a vacuum cleaner?

Do you just get bored easy or something, what with this constant stream of
crap questions?

No, a PSU in the bottom of the case doesn't vacuum up anything, unless the
case designer was stupid enough to put holes in the case directly under the
PSU fan, which certainly isn't the case in my Antec P180.

And shorten yer oversized sig line.

What he said, and...

If you keep your computer elevated (on your desk, for example) instead
of on or near the floor, it might be better, generally.

I say might, because that is not the answer for everybody. For example
if keeping the computer cool is a top priority the 'puter might stay
cooler if it stays near the floor - as long as it's not by a heating
vent or radiator.

I have pets, and they shed a lot, and so I don't just have dust to deal
with but pet hair and dander to be aware of as well. I keep my computer
on my desk, and that seems to keep it fairly dust-free.
Old March 14th 10, 09:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
ToolPackinMama

On 3/14/2010 8:03 AM, Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) wrote:
No, a PSU in the bottom of the case doesn't vacuum up anything, unless
the
case designer was stupid enough to put holes in the case directly
under the
PSU fan, which certainly isn't the case in my Antec P180.

You talking about a dust filter? I was talking about a regular hole!
The old design (power supply at the top) should be more tolerant to dust.

Just keep your local area free of dust. If you don't like
housecleaning, hire somebody.

Old March 14th 10, 09:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
ToolPackinMama

On 3/14/2010 8:19 AM, TVeblen wrote:
On 3/14/2010 5:29 AM, Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) wrote:

Would it suck a lot of dust like a vacuum cleaner?

Most power supplies suck air in through the bottom (or top) of the unit
and exhaust it out the back as their cooling strategy. If the air is
dusty it will suck in the dust also. Most time the air comes from inside
the case, so the air comes through the case intakes. Most cases have a
screen on the intakes. Short answer: it probably doesn't matter where in
the case it is, but if you keep your case on the floor and never clean
your screens or blow out the case then it might see a greater than
average flow of dust

It seems to me that, if the intake areas become choked with dust,
overheating will become a problem before PSU sucking dust will become a
problem.