New build questions

Old March 18th 14, 03:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Default New build questions

Yousuf Khan bbbl67 spammenot.yahoo.com wrote:

Mark wrote:

Just in case anyone's interested here is the final parts list:

CoolerMaster Silencio 650 case AMD A10-7850K CPU Gigabyte
GA-G1.Sniper A88X motherboard Kingston HyperX 2*8GB DDR3-2133
RAM Hitachi Ultrastar 7K4000 2TB HDD BeQuiet L8 CM 430W PSU
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD Pioneer BDR-209DBK BD/DVD/CD Burner

Interesting! So you totally did away with a separate GPU, then?
It's like a few years ago when people stopped buying home
phones, and just made do with cell phones. People from earlier
times would go, how can do that?

Looks like the motherboard does not have built in video.

Probably just an omission.
Old March 18th 14, 03:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Mark wrote:

Just in case anyone's interested here is the final parts list:

CoolerMaster Silencio 650 case AMD A10-7850K CPU Gigabyte
GA-G1.Sniper A88X motherboard Kingston HyperX 2*8GB DDR3-2133
RAM Hitachi Ultrastar 7K4000 2TB HDD BeQuiet L8 CM 430W PSU
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD Pioneer BDR-209DBK BD/DVD/CD Burner

Interesting! So you totally did away with a separate GPU, then?
It's like a few years ago when people stopped buying home
phones, and just made do with cell phones. People from earlier
times would go, how can do that?

Looks like the motherboard does not have built in video.

Probably just an omission.

It's an APU.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldo...A10-7850K.html

Integrated graphics

GPU Type: Radeon R7 series
Shader cores: 512
Base frequency (MHz): 720

The rear of the motherboard has VGA/DVI/HDMI.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-128-653-Z02?$S640$

Paul
Old March 18th 14, 04:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldo...ies%20A10-7850
K.html

Integrated graphics

GPU Type: Radeon R7 series Shader cores: 512 Base frequency
(MHz): 720

The rear of the motherboard has VGA/DVI/HDMI.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-128-653-Z02?$S640$

Yeah, I should have wondered about those outputs when looking at
the motherboard. So this is a recent configuration from AMD that
includes graphics processing in the CPU. I wonder if it's better
than integrated motherboard graphics. Or maybe cheaper. And if
it's good technology, Intel should follow suit.
Old March 18th 14, 05:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Mark wrote:
[...]

There are benchmarks here.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

It's better than the old motherboard video. By quite a bit.
(Say, something like a 945G.)

The trick, is tracking down an identifier for each internal
video, so you can find it in the chart. Apparently, both the
Intel high end internal one (Iris), and the AMD one in the 7850,
are stronger than my current plugin video card. So they're
no longer scraping the bottom of the barrel. Maybe they're
equivalent to about $100 worth of video card now.

You still won't be playing Crysis on them, at 30FPS, but
your SimCity will scream :-)

One of the Wikipedia charts claims some line of Intel
CPUs have "eDRAM". Meaning, graphics RAM chips were
added inside the CPU packaging. Perhaps that's some
mobile version of their processors or something. That must
be a tight fit, to put that and the CPU in the same package.
As Intel now puts a power converter thin film circuit in
there too (Haswell).

They can never get too powerful, for thermal reasons.
If a high end video card draws 200W, you can't do that
with an APU design. It'll cook. And you also wouldn't have
the RAM bandwidth to do that. The discrete video card
eventually wins, because it's covered with GDDR5.

I saw mention of using GDDR5 with a CPU, so you never
know how crazy this AMD idea will eventually get. Maybe
instead of DDR4, they'll go with GDDR5 instead. (And
solder it down to the motherboard.) Many things are possible
in the SOC era. The only thing really constraining the fun,
is not enough pins on the IC packages.

Paul
Old March 18th 14, 09:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mark[_20_]

Mark wrote:
[...]

IIRC The A10-7850K APU is "equivalent" to an R7.

You still won't be playing Crysis on them, at 30FPS, but
your SimCity will scream :-)

I could play Crysis on my old PC with a 7600GT.

And if you see my other thread it doesn't work :-(

Old March 18th 14, 01:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
PAS

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
On 14/03/2014 1:25 PM, Mark wrote:
Just in case anyone's interested here is the final parts list:

CoolerMaster Silencio 650 case
AMD A10-7850K CPU
Gigabyte GA-G1.Sniper A88X motherboard
Kingston HyperX 2*8GB DDR3-2133 RAM
Hitachi Ultrastar 7K4000 2TB HDD
BeQuiet L8 CM 430W PSU
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
Pioneer BDR-209DBK BD/DVD/CD Burner

Interesting! So you totally did away with a separate GPU, then? It's like
a few years ago when people stopped buying home phones, and just made do
with cell phones. People from earlier times would go, how can do that?

Yousuf Khan

I can't imagine life without a home phone but I'm a 54 years old - when I
was young we didn't have cell phones. I recently replaced the wireless
phones in my house. The new system allows for a bluetooth connection with
our cell phones so we can use the home phone to answer calls to our cell
phones.

Old March 18th 14, 01:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 18/03/2014 12:46 AM, John Doe wrote:
Yeah, I should have wondered about those outputs when looking at
the motherboard. So this is a recent configuration from AMD that
includes graphics processing in the CPU. I wonder if it's better
than integrated motherboard graphics. Or maybe cheaper. And if
it's good technology, Intel should follow suit.

It's not that recent, I've got a laptop processor, released back in
2011, that also has a GPU built into the CPU. Intel's processors are all
like this, although their GPU's are very basic, not capable of gaming much.

And yes, these GPU's are much better than the old integrated GPU's
inside motherboards.

Yousuf Khan
Old March 18th 14, 01:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 18/03/2014 1:26 AM, Paul wrote:
You still won't be playing Crysis on them, at 30FPS, but
your SimCity will scream :-)

Actually, you *can* play Crysis at 30FPS on the Kaveri processors. Just
dial down the details a bit.

http://youtu.be/RjqtJatYv4Q

Yousuf Khan
Old March 18th 14, 01:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 18/03/2014 9:07 AM, PAS wrote:
I can't imagine life without a home phone but I'm a 54 years old - when I
was young we didn't have cell phones. I recently replaced the wireless
phones in my house. The new system allows for a bluetooth connection with
our cell phones so we can use the home phone to answer calls to our cell
phones.

I'm 46, and we've gotten rid of our home phones. Has nothing to do with
age, just a willingness to get out of the past thinking patterns.

Yousuf Khan
Old March 18th 14, 04:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

It's recent if you weren't born yesterday...