high pitched noise after computer runs for 20 mins.

Old July 3rd 03, 09:15 PM
jbclem

Default high pitched noise after computer runs for 20 mins.

My Asus TX7 based computer has just started emitting a high pitched noise.
If I reboot the noise goes away just before the screen blacks out(that's
after Win2000 has closed down I assume) and the computer will run quietly
for 10-20 minutes before the noise starts up again. The noise seems to come
from the vicinity of the computer speaker but turning down the vol control
doesn't make any difference. Also I have external speakers hooked up and
the nose is not coming through them.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

John

Old July 3rd 03, 09:36 PM
John Smith

Either you HD whines or it is one of the fans such as the CPU fan. Go on
over to http://www.silentpcreview.com/ and askin the forums for some expert
advice.

J.

rthlink.net...

Old July 3rd 03, 11:41 PM
Vic Baron

Well, I'd first check the bearings on any of the fans in the case or the ps.
If you think it's coming from the computer speaker, disconnect the lead from
the mobo and try again. My bets are the fan bearings

HTH,

vgb

rthlink.net...

Old July 3rd 03, 11:58 PM
jbclem

Hi John,

I don't think it's either as the noise stops when I pull the speak
connection off the motherboard. Also, at the same time the noise is going
on there is a light flashing on the front of the computer. It's not the
hard drive light but a light with a lightbulb icon next to it. Any idea
what that means?

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

John

"John Smith" wrote in message
Either you HD whines or it is one of the fans such as the CPU fan. Go on
over to http://www.silentpcreview.com/ and askin the forums for some

expert
advice.

J.

rthlink.net...

Old July 4th 03, 12:07 AM
John Smith

Sorry, I don't know enough about your board to help you out more. Try some
of the overclocking NGs as they have links to Asus forums where you might
find people with your board.

J.

rthlink.net...

"John Smith" wrote in message
Either you HD whines or it is one of the fans such as the CPU fan. Go on
over to http://www.silentpcreview.com/ and askin the forums for some

expert
advice.

J.

rthlink.net...

Old July 4th 03, 01:04 AM
Paul

In article ink.net,
"jbclem" wrote:

Hi John,

I don't think it's either as the noise stops when I pull the speak
connection off the motherboard. Also, at the same time the noise is going
on there is a light flashing on the front of the computer. It's not the
hard drive light but a light with a lightbulb icon next to it. Any idea
what that means?

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

John

I cannot seem to find TX7 as a model number. Is it a TX97 ? The
PDF manual I have here, mentions three LEDs - Power LED, IDE (HDD)
activity LED, and Message LED.

This post in Google suggests the motherboard has detected the CPU
is overtemperature. This gives a high pitched tone and flashes the
power LED.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...1%40news2-hme0

Paul

"John Smith" wrote in message
Either you HD whines or it is one of the fans such as the CPU fan. Go on
over to http://www.silentpcreview.com/ and askin the forums for some

expert
advice.

J.

rthlink.net...

Old July 4th 03, 01:51 AM
The Cybrow

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 20:15:59 GMT, "jbclem"
wrote:

My Asus TX7 based computer has just started emitting a high pitched noise.
If I reboot the noise goes away just before the screen blacks out(that's
after Win2000 has closed down I assume) and the computer will run quietly
for 10-20 minutes before the noise starts up again. The noise seems to come
from the vicinity of the computer speaker but turning down the vol control
doesn't make any difference. Also I have external speakers hooked up and
the nose is not coming through them.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Try unplugging the internal speaker. I'm not savvy enough to speculate
on how or if it might be picking up spurious noise but it might be
worth a shot. Do you have any USB devices? Sometimes a USB mouse
will cause strange noises to come through the speakers.
Old July 6th 03, 04:18 PM
SteveH

"jbclem" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
My Asus TX7 based computer has just started emitting a high pitched noise.
If I reboot the noise goes away just before the screen blacks out(that's
after Win2000 has closed down I assume) and the computer will run quietly
for 10-20 minutes before the noise starts up again. The noise seems to

come
from the vicinity of the computer speaker but turning down the vol control
doesn't make any difference. Also I have external speakers hooked up and
the nose is not coming through them.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

John

Do you still get this noise if you turn the monitor off with the PC still
running? I've heard of monitors doing this, I think it's to do with it's
power supply going flaky (could be wrong there tho).

SteveH

Old July 7th 03, 12:47 AM
bp

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 22:41:34 GMT, "Vic Baron"
wrote:

Well, I'd first check the bearings on any of the fans in the case or the ps.
If you think it's coming from the computer speaker, disconnect the lead from
the mobo and try again. My bets are the fan bearings

Bad bet
Sounds like you CPU is over heating/ All the Asus boards I've own have
a overheating warning . The reason it runs for 10 to 20 minutes is
because it takes that long to heat up enough to set off the alarm.
HTH,

vgb

"jbclem" wrote in message
arthlink.net...
My Asus TX7 based computer has just started emitting a high pitched noise.
If I reboot the noise goes away just before the screen blacks out(that's
after Win2000 has closed down I assume) and the computer will run quietly
for 10-20 minutes before the noise starts up again. The noise seems to

come
from the vicinity of the computer speaker but turning down the vol control
doesn't make any difference. Also I have external speakers hooked up and
the nose is not coming through them.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

John

psychological and extra David Taylor General 5 October 3rd 03 07:25 AM
Power Surge David LeBrun General 44 September 12th 03 02:35 AM
high pitched noise of HD David Cleland Homebuilt PC's 7 August 4th 03 02:23 AM
Leadtek Geforce 5 5900 Ultra TDH - High pitch noise ! Richard General 0 July 30th 03 02:07 PM