Remote power control of PC, on/off, by dial-up modem or by IP

Old March 9th 08, 10:54 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
James Harris

Default Remote power control of PC, on/off, by dial-up modem or by IP

I'd like to be able to leave a PC in a remote location knowing I can
get back control if the worst happens and it locks up. Basically I may
want to power cycle the PC so am looking for a device which

* Can turn 13A mains sockets on and off
* Can be accessed remotely
- by phone line or modem
- by IP address
* Is secure - password for phone line, more for IP-based (to stop
someone else getting access)

I also want to tie the PC to a UPS. Not sure if the two functions can
be combined.

Anyone else been down this road or have some ideas?

--
TIA,
James
Old March 9th 08, 11:07 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Timothy Drouillard

Just one example.
http://www.digital-loggers.com/EPCR2...FSgsIgodVXlCjw

DAGS on remote controlled power strip

Old March 10th 08, 01:01 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Palindrome

James Harris wrote:
I'd like to be able to leave a PC in a remote location knowing I can
get back control if the worst happens and it locks up. Basically I may
want to power cycle the PC so am looking for a device which

* Can turn 13A mains sockets on and off
* Can be accessed remotely
- by phone line or modem
- by IP address
* Is secure - password for phone line, more for IP-based (to stop
someone else getting access)

I also want to tie the PC to a UPS. Not sure if the two functions can
be combined.

Anyone else been down this road or have some ideas?

I use these:

http://www.quasarelectronics.com/3140.htm

If one of the things you might want to restart is the router, using IP
addresses *after* the router is not that good an idea.

Note that the unit has 4 independent, isolated, relay contact changeover
sets. So you can use one to switch the supply going from UPS to computer
and others to switch normal mains (non-ups) supplies.The relays are
rated at 5A, so one can switch the supply to a fair few
routers/switches/modems/etc.

Alternatively, you can use one relay contact set to operate the computer
"reset button" (eg switch 5v) - leaving the computer normally on and
running. with maybe a different relay doing the "BRS" job and switching
the computer supply - if the reset didn't do the job..

--
Sue
Old March 10th 08, 07:42 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Tomlinson

In article
s.com, James Harris writes

Anyone else been down this road or have some ideas?

Dataprobe iBoot.

--
(\__/) Bunny says NO to Windows Vista!
(='.'=) http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

Old March 11th 08, 01:36 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
James Harris

On 10 Mar, 01:01, Palindrome wrote:
James Harris wrote:
[...]

These look great - especially being much less costly than the Web ones
- but I've just realised I'll need and don't have a way for them to
share a phone line. The other device on the line should answer first
to take normal calls so I guess that means I need a way to tell the
other device not to answer for 20 seconds or so....

Thanks for the pointer.

--
James
Old March 11th 08, 03:05 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Palindrome

James Harris wrote:
[...]

I had a similar problem - in wanting to control more than 4 switches
with one phone line. I went for a cheap pabx on the line. Although the
one I got was second hand, even new ones are pretty cheap (eg ebay item
230228084074 20GBP, delivered*).

*I don't know if that one will do the job, btw - it is just an example.

Mine allows me to dial the main number followed by the extension number,
then send commands to and from that particular controller.

Using a small pabx would also allow a fax, a modem, whatever, to sit on
different extensions...

--
Sue

Old March 12th 08, 01:01 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
James Harris

James Harris wrote:
[...]

The web page for the 4-channel switcher does say "This product is
_not_ compatible with PABX systems, digital phone systems or phone
systems outside the UK." but it sounds like you have one or more units
working as extensions off a PABX. Is that right? Maybe it's just
extension-to-extension calls that fail to control the switcher.

Old March 12th 08, 01:52 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On 9 Mar, 22:54, James Harris wrote:
I'd like to be able to leave a PC in a remote location knowing I can
get back control if the worst happens and it locks up. Basically I may
want to power cycle the PC so am looking for a device which

* Can turn 13A mains sockets on and off
* Can be accessed remotely
* - by phone line or modem
* - by IP address
* Is secure - password for phone line, more for IP-based (to stop
someone else getting access)

I also want to tie the PC to a UPS. Not sure if the two functions can
be combined.

Anyone else been down this road or have some ideas?

--
TIA,
James

a technotrend phoneswitch ? designed by a british geezer.
http://www.technotrend.co.uk/
Never used it but it.. but you could contact them/him.

Have you considered turning it on with a magic packet? Wake On LAN?
But turning it off may be an issue. You can boot into the OS and
access it remotely from there and shut it down, but if you cannot get
that far in, then that is not an option.. . OTOH, if things are "that
bad" that you cannot get that far in, then there may not be much you
can do from it remotely anyway.
Old March 12th 08, 08:08 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Palindrome

James Harris wrote:
[...]

Read this:

http://www.crosbycomms.co.uk/technic...pbxsystems.php

The unit's interface is that of a standard 2 wire POTS telephone. Any
PABX that won't accept POTS phones as extensions won't work with it.
They also won't work with standard fax machines or standard modems.

However, most SBHO PABX *do* work with standard POTS phones and will be
fine.

The ebay item I quoted *should* be fine. It passes DTMF signals through
to the extensions and takes standard POTS phones as extensions.

However, I don't now either that particular model and have never bought
from that particular seller - so hence the *should* and my reservation
about it working in my PP. Just as the web site put in the PABX warnings.

I bought second hand Panasonic equipment - basically becuase I tend to
think a second-hand unit from a recognised manufacturer is going to be
more reliable than a new unit from an unkonwn supplier..

--
Sue

Old March 12th 08, 09:05 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
James Harris

http://www.crosbycomms.co.uk/technic...itworks_pbxsys...

The unit's interface is that of a standard 2 wire POTS telephone. Any
PABX that won't accept POTS phones as extensions won't work with it.
They also won't work with standard fax machines or standard modems.

However, most SBHO PABX *do* work with standard POTS phones and will be
fine.

The ebay item I quoted *should* be fine. It passes DTMF signals through
to the extensions and takes standard POTS phones as extensions.

However, I don't now either that particular model and have never bought
from that particular seller - so hence the *should* and my reservation
about it working in my PP. Just as the web site put in the PABX warnings.

I bought second hand Panasonic equipment - basically becuase I tend to
think a second-hand unit from a recognised manufacturer is going to be
more reliable than a new unit from an unkonwn supplier..

Thanks, Sue, I'll give it a go. At the price it's not much of a risk,
after all.

--
James