Control PC by remote control / video sending

Old February 12th 08, 02:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jethro[_2_]

Default Control PC by remote control / video sending

Hi guys ...

if I wanted to use my PC in the front room, to download streaming
video (e.g. 4OD, or BBC iPlayer content [I'm UK based]), but had a
wife who forbids cables, then what would be the best way of achieving
it ? (Short of upgrading the wife, but you know how buggy new systems
are).

My PC has an nVidia GE440MX graphics card which has an s-video out. I
was thinking of connecting this to a TV sender box, and beaming the
picture wirelessly.

Sofar so good.

However, how would I control the PC from the next room. (At present
it's got a wireless k/b and mouse, but I think 4-5m and 2 brick walls
is stretching the range).

Comments and advice welcome
Old February 12th 08, 03:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Brian Cryer

"Jethro" wrote in message
Hi guys ...

if I wanted to use my PC in the front room, to download streaming
video (e.g. 4OD, or BBC iPlayer content [I'm UK based]), but had a
wife who forbids cables, then what would be the best way of achieving
it ? (Short of upgrading the wife, but you know how buggy new systems
are).

Go wireless. Personally I'd recommend a wireless pc card, but USB is just as
good. (I prefer a card because it can't fall out.)

My PC has an nVidia GE440MX graphics card which has an s-video out. I
was thinking of connecting this to a TV sender box, and beaming the
picture wirelessly.

Sofar so good.

However, how would I control the PC from the next room. (At present
it's got a wireless k/b and mouse, but I think 4-5m and 2 brick walls
is stretching the range).

There are a number of products out there that will let you control one pc
from another. Personally I'd use vnc, but I gather it has problems on Vista
so it may depend on your operating system. A while back I started pulling
together a list of remote-control applications, and whilst I haven't had
time to finish it you can see my list as it is at
http://www.cryer.co.uk/resources/rem...trol/index.htm.

Hope this helps.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Old February 12th 08, 09:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Jethro wrote:
Hi guys ...

if I wanted to use my PC in the front room, to download streaming
video (e.g. 4OD, or BBC iPlayer content [I'm UK based]), but had a
wife who forbids cables, then what would be the best way of achieving
it ? (Short of upgrading the wife, but you know how buggy new systems
are).

My PC has an nVidia GE440MX graphics card which has an s-video out. I
was thinking of connecting this to a TV sender box, and beaming the
picture wirelessly.

Sofar so good.

However, how would I control the PC from the next room. (At present
it's got a wireless k/b and mouse, but I think 4-5m and 2 brick walls
is stretching the range).

Comments and advice welcome

One general concept, is the "media extender". That is a box that sits
next to the remote television, and delivers content. Some boxes are
wireless. Now, whether there is a way to handle the BBC that way,
I don't know.

This article, is just to illustrate the concept. The Apple TV appears
to need too much hacking, to consider this a "consumer" item. But
there are other media extenders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_tv
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Remote

In terms of your concept of "TV sender boxes", I'd want to see a demo
of one actually working, before buying it. I was reading some reviews
of a unit on Amazon, and every reviewer said it was "snowy". So if a
unit has a low price, there is probably a catch to it.

If you wanted to extend the reach of a mouse and keyboard, there
are several classes of Bluetooth transmitters. But somehow, I doubt
your average keyboard and mouse would have Class 1 transmitters - it
would shorten battery life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823126176 (Bluetooth KB/Mouse)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823126176 (reviews)
http://www.logitech.com/lang/pdf/blu...etooth-faq.pdf (battery life)

For transmission of video, this technology looks promising.

http://www.pulse-link.com/assets/pdf...ort_121307.pdf

Apparently, something based on the PulseLink CWave chipset, was
demonstrated at CES. The blurb here, describes it as "wireless HDMI ...
equivalent", which means what is transmitted is not bit perfect,
and may use compression or whatever, to give decent transmission
distance.

http://www.digitalhomeonline.com/ind...sectionID=1124

It might take a bit of time yet, before that Westinghouse demo
is available for purchase.

The trick with the wireless stuff, is getting all your toys
(WiFi, portable phone, microwave, UWB USB, wireless video) to all play nicely
together. It wouldn't be much fun, if every time you microwaved
a snack, the TV picture disappeared :-)

Paul
Old February 14th 08, 08:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:
Jethro wrote in news:be656411-e810-4240-8e59-
:

Hi guys ...

if I wanted to use my PC in the front room, to download streaming
video (e.g. 4OD, or BBC iPlayer content [I'm UK based]), but had a
wife who forbids cables, then what would be the best way of achieving
it ? (Short of upgrading the wife, but you know how buggy new systems
are).

My PC has an nVidia GE440MX graphics card which has an s-video out. I
was thinking of connecting this to a TV sender box, and beaming the
picture wirelessly.

Sofar so good.

However, how would I control the PC from the next room. (At present
it's got a wireless k/b and mouse, but I think 4-5m and 2 brick walls
is stretching the range).

Comments and advice welcome

This Bluetooth Logitech keyboard & mouse has a 60' range:
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/S...roductID=12265

This Bluetooth Audio/Video Transmitter/Receiver has a 300' range
(NTSC/PAL):
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/S...=9764&ta=prod_
info

I have had good results with this vendor and their products.

You can find reviews for some of those A/V transmitters on Amazon.
The 5.8GHz one apparently works, but can fail days after you get it.

http://www.amazon.com/RF-Link-AVS-58...19984&sr =8-3

Paul
Old February 14th 08, 08:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
pcbldrNinetyEight

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/S...uctID=9764&ta=
prod_ info

I have had good results with this vendor and their products.

You can find reviews for some of those A/V transmitters on Amazon.
The 5.8GHz one apparently works, but can fail days after you get it.

http://www.amazon.com/RF-Link-AVS-58...dp/B0002EXJ98/
ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1203019984&sr =8-3

I've had good results with Cyberguys and the products I've bought from
them. I don't have any personal experience with these particular
products though. I do know that Cyberguys offers a 90 day money back no
questions asked guarantee. They also have a very interesting catalog
that I always look for forwarding to receiving.

--
pcbldrNinetyEight
Old February 15th 08, 09:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Plato

http://www.bootdisk.com/housecall/0027.htm#4

PC remote control? Christo General 0 December 17th 04 02:02 PM
Remote control... Alan Fiddis General 5 December 7th 04 08:19 AM
Remote control Lostfrogg Creative Sound Blaster Cards 1 November 27th 04 05:07 AM
Sending printer control codes to ImageWriter in WindowsXP windsurferLA Printers 4 June 5th 04 06:39 PM
TV Wonder USB Remote Control Shmuel Ati Videocards 0 July 14th 03 07:20 PM