A7N8X-E Deluxe high pitched noise

Old February 22nd 06, 12:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default A7N8X-E Deluxe high pitched noise

Hi, im wondering if anyone has this board and hears a high pitched
screetching on the motherboard, it only happens at certain temps now i
think, as i changed a setting with wpcredit and wpcrset.

Its pretty much the same with all A7N8X motherboard or so i hear, but with
no clear solutions.

Old February 22nd 06, 02:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

In article , "Tony" wrote:

Hi, im wondering if anyone has this board and hears a high pitched
screetching on the motherboard, it only happens at certain temps now i
think, as i changed a setting with wpcredit and wpcrset.

Its pretty much the same with all A7N8X motherboard or so i hear, but with
no clear solutions.

Maybe the frequency of the Vcore regulator has dropped into the
audible frequency range, due to the lack of load from the
idling CPU ?

Paul
Old February 22nd 06, 02:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

with my motherboard it is the opposite, when in high load like when playing
Battlefield 2 it will sometimes start.

Doesnt wpcrset set it so that the cpu is idle more also? as my idle temp is
now 30~ degrees, before it was hardly any different from load

Old February 22nd 06, 07:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Tony wrote:
with my motherboard it is the opposite, when in high load like when
playing Battlefield 2 it will sometimes start.

Doesnt wpcrset set it so that the cpu is idle more also? as my idle
temp is now 30~ degrees, before it was hardly any different from load

My experience from setting wpcredit register so that FSB can disconnect, and
CPU can enter lower power state was crackling sound from soundcard and I
think I remember a hum like you describe.
I did this on two mobos, one with VIAKT266A and one with nforce2. The VIA
machine didn't like it at all.

I think it's not worth it. If it was, the register would have been set up
by BIOS by default.

The registerchange does not make the CPU idle more often, if it was, you
would effectively reduce the performance of your CPU. Downclocking and
undervolting will be a better way to achieve that.
With that in mind, issuing the bus disconnect signal and coming in and out
of different powerstates take time, and you will take a performance hit. If
it's enough to notice, I don't know.

Old February 22nd 06, 10:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Hi, im wondering if anyone has this board and hears a high pitched
screetching on the motherboard, it only happens at certain temps now i

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetostriction

Sometimes the toroid cores of the onboard voltage converters
make an audible high frequency noise
when the wires are not wound really tight onto them.

Try to find the source with a tube at your ear.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stethoscope

You can fix the cores with some glue.

Old February 23rd 06, 07:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

wrote:

| Hi, im wondering if anyone has this board and hears a high pitched
| screetching on the motherboard, it only happens at certain temps
now i
| think, as i changed a setting with wpcredit and wpcrset.
|
| Its pretty much the same with all A7N8X motherboard or so i hear,
but with
| no clear solutions.
|
| Maybe the frequency of the Vcore regulator has dropped into the
| audible frequency range, due to the lack of load from the
| idling CPU ?
|
| Paul

I believe the frequency of the switched mode PS circuit is fixed, but
the loading by the CPU on the circuit can change the PCM waveform
driving the mosfets and subsequently the coils. Specific PCM
waveforms may create suitable harmonics that match up or are near
mechanical harmonics of the toroidal coils causing audible vibrations
and high pitched noise. Just a swag on my part.
--
Best regards,
Kyle

Old March 4th 06, 08:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

I noted a high pitched noise that comes and goes after I tried
unsuccessfully to o/c my XP2500+.

"Stephen" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:35:33 -0000, "Tony" wrote:

Hi, im wondering if anyone has this board and hears a high pitched
screetching on the motherboard, it only happens at certain temps now i
think, as i changed a setting with wpcredit and wpcrset.

I have heard that after the CPU was pedalling very hard for a while.

I assumed it was an inbuilt temperature alarm. However I'd like to be

able
to get it to turn off without need to reboot.