Memory and new Mobo Question for beginner

Old June 30th 04, 08:50 PM
Spencer

Default Memory and new Mobo Question for beginner

Hi,

I am about to get a new Mobo and ram to go with other bits I have managed to
get together to make a half decent system.

To get either an MSI 865pe neo 2 800mhz fsb or Abit IC7 Max 3

What would be the best memory to get for this.
What is the difference about "Low Latency memory"?

I have heard that some memory won't work on Intel chipsets!! Is this
correct?

I have not a clue about mem and don't want to buy and get it wrong.

System consists of so far.

P4 2.8c (not 800mhz or HT)
MSI 845pe Max 2 533mhz fsb
768MB DDR PC 2100 ram 266mhz (can this be clocked?)
Sapphire x800 pro 256mb
2 x 80GB Seagate Barracuda 2mb cache
DVD
CD-RW
Q-tec 550W power
Thermaltake Xaser3 Super Tower
Zalman Reserator 1 with VGA Block running @25 degrees CPU Temp

Any advice would be greatly appreciated with a beer

Spence

Old June 30th 04, 11:02 PM
David Besack

I am about to get a new Mobo and ram to go with other bits I have managed to
get together to make a half decent system.

To get either an MSI 865pe neo 2 800mhz fsb or Abit IC7 Max 3

Memory will match the FSB speed at some multiple. So if your FSB is 800
MHz get 400 MHz RAM, which is PC3200. Your mobo will say if it needs to
be buffered, ECC, etc., but for most people they want unbuffered non-ECC.

If you get the 533 FSB mobo, get PC2100 RAM, which is 266 MHz.

You can mismatch to an extent - i.e. put 266 MHz RAM into a mobo with
400 FSB, but some mobos reject it. So just decide which mobo you are
getting then get the corresponding RAM.

What is the difference about "Low Latency memory"?

It runs faster. Some people won't ever notice. 3D gamers might notice.
I honestly can't tell sometimes. But if you have an extra $20-30 per
stick to spend, the low latency might make you happier.

P4 2.8c (not 800mhz or HT)
MSI 845pe Max 2 533mhz fsb
768MB DDR PC 2100 ram 266mhz (can this be clocked?)

Do you mean OVERclocked?
Old June 30th 04, 11:46 PM
Spencer

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply it clears up a few things before I go out and spend. I
am aiming toward the MSI 865pe due to never having any problems with any of
the MSI boards I have had in the past.

And yes, I do mean overclocked for the 2100 ram.

Spencer

Old July 1st 04, 12:40 AM
Courseyauto

Theres no reason to not buy the 800 fsb motherbord,they can be found for less
than $100 a 865 chipset board. The 800 FSB makes for a much faster system than
a 533 FSB. Also i would get some PC 433 3500mhz ram, KINGSTON HYPER X or
Corsair the 800 FSB MB will easily overclock to 225 FSB. DOUG
Old July 1st 04, 02:29 AM
David Besack

Thanks for the reply it clears up a few things before I go out and spend. I
am aiming toward the MSI 865pe due to never having any problems with any of
the MSI boards I have had in the past.

And yes, I do mean overclocked for the 2100 ram.

Well, the best thing you can do with RAM is buy faster RAM and clock to
THAT speed. There's almost NO difference in price between 512MB of
PC2100 and PC3200. Though - if you get the 800 FSB board, and would
normally get PC3200 RAM (400 MHz), you could always get PC3500 RAM for
future overclockability.
Old July 10th 04, 03:20 PM
Stormgiant

Ya, but you are all forgetting that he does not have any 800fsb CPU.
He has a 2.8NW 533. So, getting to 225fsb is tricky

I would suggest buy the best mobo you can with the 865PE chipset, then
buying some real nice memory.. Don't buy Kingston HyperX if you plan
to overclock. Buy some GEIL or OCZ PC3500/3700 memory.

Then, exchange that 533 cpu with a really faster 800 HT one

Stormgiant

Asus P4P800-Deluxe
NW3000@3915 FSB261 on WC
512MB OCZ BH-5 @DDR522 2-2-2-5