Intel Loses Chipset Market Share

Old October 30th 04, 12:20 AM
Yousuf Khan

Default Intel Loses Chipset Market Share

Positions of Smaller Chipset Makers Strengthening, Says Report
by Anton Shilov
10/29/2004 | 03:21 PM

Intel Corp. lost 6.7% of the chipset market to companies like VIA
Technologies, SiS and ATI, who produce chipsets, during the third quarter of
the year according to a report from Merril Lynch analyst cited by DigiTimes
web-site in Taiwan.

During the Q3 2004 Intel Corp. supplied 62.1% of all chipsets shipped
worldwide, VIA Technologies commanded 18.5% of the market, Silicon
Integrated Systems Corp. shipped 9.9% of core-logic products in Q3 2004,
while ATI Technologies and NVIDIA Corp. only occupied 4.5% and 4.2% of the
market.

According to Merrill Lynch analyst Den Heyler VIA's third-quarter 3.6%
market share gains become possible as shipments of core-logic chipsets
supporting Intel and Advanced Micro Devices microprocessors rose 17% and
67%, respectively, from the second quarter of 2004. Shares of ATI, NVIDIA
and SiS also increase 1% each in Q3. Still, chipset business of companies
like VIA, SiS and ATI, who supply the majority of their core-logic products
for PCs running Intel Pentium 4 processors, is under fire, as Intel Corp.
competes fiercely in the entry-level and mainstream chipset market segments,
which puts pricing pressure on third-party core-logic makers.

ATI, SiS and VIA supply chipsets designed for both widely available
platforms: Intel and AMD. In contrast, NVIDIA Corp. ships chipsets only for
AMD-based computers, as it does not have license to make core-logic for
Intel's central processing units. Intel only makes chipsets for its own
processors.

This quarter ATI, NVIDIA and VIA are expected to initiate commercial
shipments of the first breed of PCI Express chipsets targeted at AMD64
infrastructure. SiS and VIA are also expected to begin volume supplies of
PCI Express and DDR2 products designed for Intel's Pentium 4 processors in
weeks."

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipset...029152027.html

Kinda surprising considering Intel makes the overwhelming majority of
chipsets for its own platforms. I didn't think there was much of a market
for Intel chipsets for VIA, SIS, or ATI.

Yousuf Khan

--
Sending me email: if you can reply to this newsgroup posting, you will have
to go through an identity challenge-response system. Alternatively, you can

Old October 30th 04, 03:32 AM
The little lost angel

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:20:07 -0400, "Yousuf Khan"
wrote:

Kinda surprising considering Intel makes the overwhelming majority of
chipsets for its own platforms. I didn't think there was much of a market
for Intel chipsets for VIA, SIS, or ATI.

Most of the cheap all in one boards are using VIA or SIS chipsets. My
guess is the sheer volume of cheap board sales is what props up
VIA/SIS. Ppp

If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me
Old October 30th 04, 08:28 AM
Yousuf Khan

wrote:

Kinda surprising considering Intel makes the overwhelming majority of
chipsets for its own platforms. I didn't think there was much of a
market for Intel chipsets for VIA, SIS, or ATI.

Most of the cheap all in one boards are using VIA or SIS chipsets. My
guess is the sheer volume of cheap board sales is what props up
VIA/SIS. Ppp

But who sells these cheap Intel systems? I don't seem to see them when I go
to various home electronics retailers here in town. Nor do you see them from
mom'n'pop computer stores either. Are these like really cheap Celeron
systems that can only be bought in a market in Thailand or something?

Yousuf Khan

Old October 30th 04, 08:59 PM
Klaus Fehrle

"Yousuf Khan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
[...]

An xbitlabs-article from a Digitimes-report from a Merril-estimate should
probably be taken with three grains of salt, to begin with.
Having said that, it's nothing short of a landslide.

Anyway, couple of factors played against Intel in Chipsets last quarter
indeed: Grantsdale's slip of six weeks, huge mobo-inventories of imbalanced
structure (reported shortages of 8xx-boards) and as well mss gains of AMDs
platforms. Hard to extract the dimension of PA* contributing to the number.

K.

*Prescott Avoidance

Old October 31st 04, 12:14 AM

wrote:

Positions of Smaller Chipset Makers Strengthening, Says Report
by Anton Shilov
10/29/2004 | 03:21 PM

Intel Corp. lost 6.7% of the chipset market to companies like VIA
Technologies, SiS and ATI, who produce chipsets, during the third quarter of
the year according to a report from Merril Lynch analyst cited by DigiTimes
web-site in Taiwan.

....snip...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipset...029152027.html

Kinda surprising considering Intel makes the overwhelming majority of
chipsets for its own platforms. I didn't think there was much of a market
for Intel chipsets for VIA, SIS, or ATI.

Yousuf Khan

Not exactly surprising considering AMD market share growth. I have no
knowledge of Intel chipset supporting AMD processor beyond socket7
;-)

Old October 31st 04, 01:48 AM

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 19:51:58 -0400, "Yousuf Khan"

Not exactly surprising considering AMD market share growth. I have no
knowledge of Intel chipset supporting AMD processor beyond socket7
;-)

No, but the article indicated that the biggest chipset makers behind Intel
were VIA, SIS, and ATI, followed by Nvidia. Nvidia is the only one
exclusively focused on AMD chipsets, so it is limited by that single market.
The other three have chipsets for both Intel and AMD, so their overall
marketshares are larger than Nvidia's.

Yousuf Khan

NVDA is limited not simply to AMD-based systems, but mostly to higher
end of the segment. While not sure about the statistics, I am under
impression that for each Athlon64 or high-end XP (Nforce targeted
segment) there is a number of Duron/Sempron/low-end XP sold, and these
tend to be paired with cheaper VIA/SIS chipsets.
Old October 31st 04, 04:46 PM
The little lost angel

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 03:28:37 -0400, "Yousuf Khan"
wrote:
Most of the cheap all in one boards are using VIA or SIS chipsets. My
guess is the sheer volume of cheap board sales is what props up
VIA/SIS. Ppp

But who sells these cheap Intel systems? I don't seem to see them when I go
to various home electronics retailers here in town. Nor do you see them from
mom'n'pop computer stores either. Are these like really cheap Celeron
systems that can only be bought in a market in Thailand or something?

They didn't say it was only Intel did they?

quote
ATI, SiS and VIA supply chipsets designed for both widely available
platforms: Intel and AMD
/quote

So given that AMD has been slowly upping their market share and
generally system prices have been falling, it goes to reason that
VIA/SIS would be taking more of the market. Especially when there ARE
cheap Intel based systems being sold by the busier shops here. Which
are also shops I wouldn't go shopping at simply because of the cheap
crap stuff. Ppp

If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me
Old November 1st 04, 06:02 AM
Tony Hill

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 00:48:31 GMT, "
wrote:

NVDA is limited not simply to AMD-based systems, but mostly to higher
end of the segment. While not sure about the statistics, I am under
impression that for each Athlon64 or high-end XP (Nforce targeted
segment) there is a number of Duron/Sempron/low-end XP sold, and these
tend to be paired with cheaper VIA/SIS chipsets.

Note that Intel's market share of chipsets was only a bit over 60%,
while their market share of processors is up around 85%, so obviously
there is a lot more at work here than simply VIA/SiS et al. making
AMD-supporting chipsets.

Of course, the question does remain, just where are these systems with
Intel processors and non-Intel chipsets? After a quick look through
HP and Dell's site I couldn't find a single desktop system with such a
setup (servers were a different story, but they used almost all
Serverworks stuff). Laptops might be one explanation, HP doesn't seem
to list what chipset their laptops use. For ATI, at least, I suspect
that a lot of their chipset market share came from laptop chipsets.

Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca