Help: Fastest AMD for Via KT266A

Old April 2nd 04, 01:37 PM
sooky grumper

Default Help: Fastest AMD for Via KT266A

Piotr Makley wrote:
I am running a Duron in a Syntax mobo with a Via KT266A chipset.
http://tinyurl.com/yt2an

I want to upgrade to an Athlon but the vendor site has no info on
the fastest cpu I can run.

Am I limited to Palomino's?

---

I can't afford to upgrade my PSU. My PSU can deliver the
following. Is this enough power for a low-end Athlon? Which speed
cpu would be the best?

+12V 13A
+5V 27A
+3.3V 20A
Max for +5v and +3.3V combined is 175W.

http://tinyurl.com/3c4ht

Thanks for any help.

I read in a recent issue of Australian PC User a table with the maximum
CPUs that different chipsets can take. The KT266a, according to that
table, can take up to a XP 2400+. Palominos stopped at XP 2100+, so I
can only assume that Tbreds are supported (perhaps with a BIOS upgrade,
perhaps not). I downloaded the manual for that motherboard and it isn't
very helpful.

Old April 2nd 04, 03:09 PM
Cuzman

"sooky grumper" wrote in message

" I read in a recent issue of Australian PC User a table with the maximum
CPUs that different chipsets can take. The KT266a, according to that table,
can take up to a XP 2400+. Palominos stopped at XP 2100+, so I can only
assume that Tbreds are supported (perhaps with a BIOS upgrade, perhaps not).
I downloaded the manual for that motherboard and it isn't very helpful. "

On the manufacturers website, there isn't a detailed list of BIOS updates
for that motherboard. All it has is a download link for one BIOS, so you
might be running that one already. I recently helped someone with a similar
query, and they had an Acorp motherboard with the same chipset (KT266A).
The Acorp BIOS update page had a BIOS update for that motherboard which
supported the 266FSB 2400+ and 2600+.

The Acorp motherboard with KT266A chipset:
http://www.acorp.com.tw/Products_inf...lt/7KT266A.htm

The Acorp BIOS update page:
http://www.acorp.com.tw/BIOS/BIOS%20...os-via-462.htm

The 2600+ Thoroughbred is difficult to get hold of, as production was halted
shortly after release. You'd do better to find a (much cheaper) 266FSB
2400+ as they are more easily available. The 2400+ was first designed with
a Thorougbred core, but on release of the 333FSB Barton (2500+ and above),
AMD re-designed its 266FSB range of Athlons with the Thorton core (2400+ and
below). This was purely down to manufacturing costs, as this site explains.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...022184805.html

Old April 2nd 04, 03:41 PM
kony

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 20:37:17 +0800, sooky grumper
wrote:

Piotr Makley wrote:
[...]

In addition to the chipset there's also the issue of signal strength on
some lines to the processor. In other words, Australian PC User assumed
only the FSB mattered, but I've had at least one KT266a that wouldn't
accept anything faster than a Palomino, and lesser KT133 boards that
wouldn't run anything faster even at 100MHz FSB. Best course of action is
to hunt down users of that particular board and see what they're running,
or update bios to latest and just buy the CPU from someplace with a good
return policy.
Old April 2nd 04, 08:38 PM
sooky grumper

Piotr Makley wrote:
kony wrote:

In addition to the chipset there's also the issue of signal
strength on some lines to the processor. In other words,
Australian PC User assumed only the FSB mattered, but I've had
at least one KT266a that wouldn't accept anything faster than
a Palomino, and lesser KT133 boards that wouldn't run anything
faster even at 100MHz FSB. Best course of action is to hunt
down users of that particular board and see what they're
running, or update bios to latest and just buy the CPU from
someplace with a good return policy.

What is the speed of the FSB for the Palomino?

266mhz

What is the fastest processor in the Palomino range?

XP 2100+

Do you know where I can find power consumption figures for the
Palomino's?

www.google.com

Old April 2nd 04, 09:13 PM
kony

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 23:23:18 +0100, Piotr Makley wrote:

kony wrote:

In addition to the chipset there's also the issue of signal
strength on some lines to the processor. In other words,
Australian PC User assumed only the FSB mattered, but I've had
at least one KT266a that wouldn't accept anything faster than
a Palomino, and lesser KT133 boards that wouldn't run anything
faster even at 100MHz FSB. Best course of action is to hunt
down users of that particular board and see what they're
running, or update bios to latest and just buy the CPU from
someplace with a good return policy.

What is the speed of the FSB for the Palomino?

133MHz FSB clock rate, often called DDR266.

What is the fastest processor in the Palomino range?

XP2100, but that model comes in both Palomino and Thoroughbred, if you saw
no mention of it being a Palomino it probably isn't.

Do you know where I can find power consumption figures for the
Palomino's?

AMD's website? They have spec sheets listing that, or a Google search
might find it.

Offhand I'm guessing an XP2100 is about 70W max, typical closer to 50W,
which at one point was looked upon by Intel fanatics as really hot
running, but now that Intel has 100W+ chips the perspective is a little
different. If anything Palominos are easier to cool now than previously
due to more large 'sinks in the market, and the larger core area of a
Palomino reduces the need for highest efficiency heatsink base... you
might have problems with a $8 'sink but certainy for under $25 there's a
few choices.

Then again a Thoroughbred or newer might work on your motherboard, I just
don't know. The faster the chip the less likely it is to work from an
amperage perspective too, that board was designed around older CPUs that
used less current. It could run for awhile then fail prematurely. If it
were me at this point I'd be thinking about upgrading the motherboard and
memory, then whichever CPU fits the budget, many people feel a Barton
XP2500 is a good choice.

Old April 2nd 04, 10:09 PM
sooky grumper

sooky grumper wrote:
Piotr Makley wrote:

kony wrote:

In addition to the chipset there's also the issue of signal
strength on some lines to the processor. In other words,
Australian PC User assumed only the FSB mattered, but I've had
at least one KT266a that wouldn't accept anything faster than
a Palomino, and lesser KT133 boards that wouldn't run anything
faster even at 100MHz FSB. Best course of action is to hunt
down users of that particular board and see what they're
running, or update bios to latest and just buy the CPU from
someplace with a good return policy.

What is the speed of the FSB for the Palomino?

266mhz

Was thinking double pumped...it's actually only 133, as kony pointed out

Old April 2nd 04, 11:42 PM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 13:21:58 +0100, Piotr Makley wrote:

I am running a Duron in a Syntax mobo with a Via KT266A chipset.
http://tinyurl.com/yt2an

I want to upgrade to an Athlon but the vendor site has no info on
the fastest cpu I can run.

Am I limited to Palomino's?

No, as long as you replace the PSU. You'll may even have problems with a
Palomino with that PSU. Replace the PSU and you should be able to run any
133MHz (/266) FSB cpu. Best buy would probably be the 2400+, but you
should also be able to use the /266 MP's like the 2800+.

I can't afford to upgrade my PSU. My PSU can deliver the following. Is
this enough power for a low-end Athlon? Which speed cpu would be the
best?

Surely you can afford this. Got one. Works well even with Athlon 64 power
hungry cpu.

http://www.amamax.com/psspecial2fnlp6100e.html

Old April 2nd 04, 11:48 PM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 23:23:18 +0100, Piotr Makley wrote:

What is the speed of the FSB for the Palomino?

Officially 50-133MHz, but will go higher.

What is the fastest processor in the Palomino range?

2100+

Do you know where I can find power consumption figures for the
Palomino's?

www.amd.com, but it draws considerably more power than the newer cores,
and it won't clock near as high, about 1800MHz tops. IOW's, you don't want
one. Get a Tbred B core or a barton core.

Old April 3rd 04, 01:25 PM

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 05:09:06 +0800, sooky grumper
wrote:

sooky grumper wrote:
Piotr Makley wrote:

kony wrote:

In addition to the chipset there's also the issue of signal
strength on some lines to the processor. In other words,
Australian PC User assumed only the FSB mattered, but I've had
at least one KT266a that wouldn't accept anything faster than
a Palomino, and lesser KT133 boards that wouldn't run anything
faster even at 100MHz FSB. Best course of action is to hunt
down users of that particular board and see what they're
running, or update bios to latest and just buy the CPU from
someplace with a good return policy.

What is the speed of the FSB for the Palomino?

266mhz

Was thinking double pumped...it's actually only 133, as kony pointed out

That's Intel lingo. AthlonXPs uses the DEC Alpha EV6 bus for FSB. And
it's 266MHz (or 200/333/400). More specifically, it runs on a 2X
multiplier on the (FSB-) clock that also controls cpu-speed via
another multiplier. The FSB is not the memory bus. The FSB connects
the cpu to the Northbridge.
The memorybus is between the Northbridge and ram. And DDR266 (double
data transfer rate) runs on 133MHz.

ancra

Old April 3rd 04, 09:39 PM
Lee

Piotr Makley wrote:

Do you know where I can find power consumption figures for the
Palomino's?

http://www.sandpile.org/

XP2100 Palomino is listed at 64W typ 74W peak.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.