The time for CDRs is running out ........

Old November 15th 04, 10:03 AM
Willy Nilly

half_pint wrote:

How do I put my hard drive in my DVD player to watch a
movie that I authored? Hard drives are great, but they
do not have the convenience of discs.

Obviously you don't need a DVD player do you, so the saving
you make on not buying a DVD player will pay for a 160 Gig
hard drive. You already have a software DVD player on your PC
and no doubt a PC monitor to watch it on.

All I'm saying is you need discs (CD/DVD) to play back a movie
in a DVD player, so a hard drive is not an option. I never
said I was watching the movies myself -- I may be authoring
things for family/friends to watch on their players. A hard
drive will not help in such cases. Thus, the subject of this
thread does NOT hold true.

Old November 15th 04, 02:55 PM
SleeperMan

dekka wrote:
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:55:38 +0100, "SleeperMan"
wrote:

Did you ever read CDR
info with some programs, like CD/DVD speed from Nero etc...they will
show something like "dye type 0 or 1, long strategy" for TY CDR, of
"dye type 8 or 9, short strategy" for some no-name cheapy ones. For
archiving, you should use type 0 or 1, not worse.

Please explain.

Which part ?
Simple...you run CD/DVD speed.
You insert CDR.
You click extra/disc info
You get disc info, like manufacturer, Dye type, capacity.
Now, if you insert TY CDR (like Plextor), you get dye type 1 (long
strategy), which means exactly what it says - it's meant for long term data
storage. If it says short strategy, it's meant for short time data carrying.
As simple as that.

Old November 15th 04, 07:19 PM
half_pint

"Willy Nilly" wrote in message
half_pint wrote:

How do I put my hard drive in my DVD player to watch a
movie that I authored? Hard drives are great, but they
do not have the convenience of discs.

Obviously you don't need a DVD player do you, so the saving
you make on not buying a DVD player will pay for a 160 Gig
hard drive. You already have a software DVD player on your PC
and no doubt a PC monitor to watch it on.

All I'm saying is you need discs (CD/DVD) to play back a movie
in a DVD player, so a hard drive is not an option. I never
said I was watching the movies myself -- I may be authoring
things for family/friends to watch on their players. A hard
drive will not help in such cases. Thus, the subject of this
thread does NOT hold true.

However you aremissing the point, you don't need a DVD
player, and if your f/f have a computer, neither do they, plus
you won't be getting calls saying that disc you sent me wont load etc,
plus you will find it far easier and cheaper to email the movie
to them or whatever.

Old November 15th 04, 07:24 PM
half_pint

"ned ludd" wrote in message

"Mike Richter" wrote in message
Hans-Marc Olsen wrote:

They will lose their data after 5 years and soon everybody will throw
them away and buy cassette recorders again.

CDRs are rubbish, but cassette recorders rule!

Aren't such decalarations inspriring?

How is this different to your claims about RW?

Please don't tell my nine-year-old CD recordings that they've expired.

As
long as they remain ignorant, they will continue to play without trouble
for decades more.

And my 4-5 year old RWs remain blissfully ignorant of your claims and

refuse
to fade despite being written in allegedly mismatched burners and

sometimes
even packet written. Even if they don't last as long as CDR I suspect they
will long outlive this newsgroup.

I recently tried to use some CDRW which were several years old,
I could not read any of them, or even format the blank ones, so maybe
I was unlucky, but if I were you I would be making fresh copies of the discs
while you can.
Finding ten dead discs is not a very happy experience, fortunately
the data on them was dispensible.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old November 15th 04, 07:27 PM
half_pint

My 8-Track and BetaMax tapes still work just fine. Cassettes, CDs,
and DVDs will never be a viable market, nor will VHS or TiVO. I am a
political strategist for John Kerry.

So what would your stratigy be if you were working for Mr Bush, now
Iraq is 'pacified'?

Old November 15th 04, 08:08 PM
SleeperMan

half_pint wrote:

[...]

Email the movie? well, not all of people are so lucky to have broadband,
remember?
And even with broadband it takes ages for 5G to transfer, not to mention
that email servers hold 10 or 25 M max...i really don't know how do you see
5G movie in email box...

Old November 15th 04, 08:10 PM
SleeperMan

Hans-Marc Olsen wrote:

[...]

The whole point was (and still is) about CDR!!!!! and not CDRW!!! These are
two VERY DIFFERENT THINGS!!!
Don't mix them! Noone said that CDRW can last 5 or more years...
If you (or anyone else) would talk about CDRW, then story would be
waaaaaaaay different.

Old November 15th 04, 09:05 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

half_pint wrote:
"ned ludd" wrote:

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB) splattered:

Hans-Marc Olsen wrote:
They will lose their data after 5 years and soon everybody will throw
them away and buy cassette recorders again.

CDRs are rubbish, but cassette recorders rule!

Aren't such decalarations inspriring?

How is this different to your claims about RW?

Please don't tell my nine-year-old CD recordings that they've expired. As
long as they remain ignorant, they will continue to play without trouble
for decades more.

And my 4-5 year old RWs remain blissfully ignorant of your claims and refuse
to fade despite being written in allegedly mismatched burners and sometimes
even packet written. Even if they don't last as long as CDR I suspect they
will long outlive this newsgroup.

I recently tried to use some CDRW which were several years old,
I could not read any of them, or even format the blank ones

Several years?

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB)
Date: 8/17/04

I want to know if I use a blank CD-RW to burn an exact copy
of the CD-ROM disc, will that CD-RW be able to be erased in
the future and re-used?

You can erase it. If you wait long enough (some months),
it will begin to erase itself.

Mikey, you are a Friggin SOB!