The time for CDRs is running out ........

Old November 14th 04, 07:06 AM
Hans-Marc Olsen

Default The time for CDRs is running out ........

They will lose their data after 5 years and soon everybody will throw
them away and buy cassette recorders again.

CDRs are rubbish, but cassette recorders rule!
Old November 14th 04, 08:55 AM
SleeperMan

Hans-Marc Olsen wrote:
They will lose their data after 5 years and soon everybody will throw
them away and buy cassette recorders again.

CDRs are rubbish, but cassette recorders rule!

Yeah, right. I guess you don't have any 10 or more old cassettes at home, or
you don't listen to them...or... there's a third option - you're partially
death, so you don't hear that all treble (high tones) are gone in that time.
And don't mix CDR's with CD. All payed music is on printed CD's, which don't
go bad. But if you record and CDR is of good brand, it can be good way more
than 5 years. It's just if you save your money and buy the cheapest ones,
they will go bad after a few years or even sooner. Did you ever read CDR
info with some programs, like CD/DVD speed from Nero etc...they will show
something like "dye type 0 or 1, long strategy" for TY CDR, of "dye type 8
or 9, short strategy" for some no-name cheapy ones. For archiving, you
should use type 0 or 1, not worse.
And not at the end, all important data should always be on 2 or 3 CDR's.
Making one single copy is stupid. And at those low prices of blanks...really
stupid. I think you can make a few copies of CDR for the price of one single
blank cassette, in fact. And i don't have to mention that CDR is recorded in
some 5 mintues (audio should be recorded with lower speed), while it takes
80 minutes for cassette to be recorded, so you can record over 10 copies in
that time.

Old November 14th 04, 12:03 PM
Eric McG

"SleeperMan" wrote in message
Hans-Marc Olsen wrote:

[snipped all garbage]

You shouldn't feed the trolls.....

---
Eric

Old November 14th 04, 01:16 PM
SleeperMan

Hans-Marc Olsen wrote:

[snipped all garbage]

You shouldn't feed the trolls.....

---
Eric

You're right...

Old November 14th 04, 05:50 PM
half_pint

"Hans-Marc Olsen" wrote in message
m...
They will lose their data after 5 years and soon everybody will throw
them away and buy cassette recorders again.

CDRs are rubbish, but cassette recorders rule!

Yes you are correct, they are inherently unreliable in many ways,
prone to failure, scratches, rot or whatever, if you had to have a
back-up to save you life you would not put it on CDR.

Large large hard drives are now a better back option,
given their reliability they actually work out cheaper.
They are also more convienient and easier to use.

Old November 14th 04, 06:35 PM
SleeperMan

half_pint wrote:
"Hans-Marc Olsen" wrote in message
m...
They will lose their data after 5 years and soon everybody will throw
them away and buy cassette recorders again.

CDRs are rubbish, but cassette recorders rule!

Yes you are correct, they are inherently unreliable in many ways,
prone to failure, scratches, rot or whatever, if you had to have a
back-up to save you life you would not put it on CDR.

Large large hard drives are now a better back option,
given their reliability they actually work out cheaper.
They are also more convienient and easier to use.

HDD's more reliable? Oh, man...it took 10 minutes before i stopped
laughing...

I've had 2 (two!!) HDD's that died on me in a period of 1 year and no
(NONE!!!) CDR that would die in more than twice longer period. And i don't
have to mention that a friend of mine sells these devices for long period
and had quite some failures. Note that manufacturer guarantees that drive
WILL WORK , but doesn't guarantee any DATA LOST! Now go and speak again
about RELIABLE hard drive...remember, having large hard drive fail you
loose - let's say 1000 times more information AT ONCE if they die than if
one single CDR dies...
Of course, having RAID 1 is somewhat different. But then again, you can't
just pick up two RAID 1 configured drives, take it to other computer and
run...can ya?

Damn, what do you guys do with CDR's? Slide on them downhill?

But, as Eric said, i really shouldn't feed the trolls...i guess i just can't
help myself...

Old November 14th 04, 07:40 PM
Willy Nilly

half_pint wrote:

Large large hard drives are now a better back option,
given their reliability they actually work out cheaper.
They are also more convienient and easier to use.

How do I put my hard drive in my DVD player to watch a
movie that I authored? Hard drives are great, but they
do not have the convenience of discs.

Old November 14th 04, 08:06 PM
half_pint

"Willy Nilly" wrote in message
half_pint wrote:

Large large hard drives are now a better back option,
given their reliability they actually work out cheaper.
They are also more convienient and easier to use.

How do I put my hard drive in my DVD player to watch a
movie that I authored? Hard drives are great, but they
do not have the convenience of discs.

Obviously you don't need a DVD player do you, so the saving
you make on not buying a DVD player will pay for a 160 Gig
hard drive. You already have a software DVD player on your PC
and no doubt a PC monitor to watch it on.

If you must play it on your (inferior in quality) TV screen I am sure
you can buy a card to do that on Ebay for a couple of quid.
Plus when you play the software DVD it will play, it won't
come back with some error message such as:-
"The drive is not ready"
"No disc in drive"
"Media not recognised" etc.........

Old November 14th 04, 08:17 PM
SleeperMan

half_pint wrote:
"Willy Nilly" wrote in message
half_pint wrote:

Hmmm...guys...we're talking about CDR's here...
remember?