P4C800 Deluxe Rear audio problems when enabling the front panel audio

Old October 15th 03, 09:39 AM
Bernd Stoeckl

Default P4C800 Deluxe Rear audio problems when enabling the front panel audio

Unfortunately I bought a I-Panel deluxe and guess what:

-The display does not work with one of their latest mobos I have P4C800
deluxe as their is not SM Bus connector
-The USB connecting cable is so short that even in the lowest bay of 5.25
slot it won't connect.
-So whats left are the Audio connectors for 25 bucks

What a fabulous device.

Bernd Stoeckl

"Lazer" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
The case that I installed my MB in has front audio connectors along
with front USB connectors. I have no problem with the USB, but as soon
as I hook up the front audio cables to the front audio connector on
the motherboard, the rear speakers go out. I'm using the Creative
Inspire 6600 6.1 surround sound speaker system hooked to the rear
onboard audio jacks. The subwoofer/center channel has to be hooked to
the microphone jack in order to work correctly which is the way the
manual for the speakers says to hook it up. When I remove the 2
jumpers on the front panel audio connectors that are jumpered by
default I lose my speakers hooked up to the rear onboard jacks. I was
told to purchase an Asus J-Panel to cure this problem. The only thing
is, I like the looks of the I-Panel better. I have been told that the
I-Panel is a piece of junk and not to bother with it. Can someone tell
me any problems they have experienced with the I-Panel. I sure would
like to add one to dress up my case and to correct the audio problems
that I'm experiencing. If the J-Panel is superior then I will have to
settle for that instead of the I-Panel.

Thanks,
Tom Means

Old October 15th 03, 03:21 PM
Lazer

Thanks for the useful information. I really appreciate it.

Tom

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:39:26 +0200, "Bernd Stoeckl"
wrote:

Unfortunately I bought a I-Panel deluxe and guess what:

-The display does not work with one of their latest mobos I have P4C800
deluxe as their is not SM Bus connector
-The USB connecting cable is so short that even in the lowest bay of 5.25
slot it won't connect.
-So whats left are the Audio connectors for 25 bucks

What a fabulous device.

Bernd Stoeckl

.. .

Old October 15th 03, 03:31 PM
Lazer

Thanks for you help. I really appreciate it. I'm goin to go with the
J-Panel due to the bad responses about the I-Panel.

Thanks again,
Tom

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:55:25 -0400, (Paul) wrote:

In article , Lazer
wrote:

[...]

The problem with the I-Panel had to do with the connection to the
SMBUS and every time the I-Panel goes to update its display,
your computer will freeze for a fraction of a second. Asus used the
SMI pin, and the signal is asserted for too long. The SMBUS also
has very low thruput, and is not intended for carrying a lot of
data. If they had used a USB interface to drive the display,
things might have been different.

One cure is to disable the display (only do manual updates), but
I think you end up with a device that is perilously close in
functionality to the J-Panel. Based on complains from I-Panel users,
my conclusion is, it is effectively junk if it cannot be made to
work properly.

Tech info on both of these products is hard to find. I cannot find
a manual for either product, so maybe someone who owns an I-Panel
can verify that the audio interface is "Intel Compatible" for you.

HTH,
Paul