CD / DVD don't recognize CDs

Old February 12th 04, 07:24 PM
©¿©¬

Default CD / DVD don't recognize CDs

Hi Tim,

This is not the first time I delete the drive and reboot.
You're right on, the first thing I did was just that in the Device Manager.
The drive was re detected, but no change. Only this time I stumbled on this
and found each drive was listed twice : Available and Not Available.

I'm desperate to get at least one drive working to reinstall clean W2K. At
this stage I appreciate any help I can get.

So please HELP.

PS : I also hate defamation and try to SNIP it out.
This NG is for the exchange of W2K tips ONLY.
Mind you there is plenty of SMHs in every NG.

Thanks again
Tommy

"Tim Kroesen" wrote in message
ink.net...
Simply deleting any references in 'device manager' Win systems causes CD
hardware to be redetected and associated with the correct drivers again
when you reboot. It is one of the *usual* first basic steps to repair
CD device trouble; before you start screwing around with the registry
and tearing your hair out and all...

I'd have helped you out earlier if you hadn't been quoting all that SMH
psychosis, propagating the defamation of MR, for everyone to read who
has that a'hole killfiled too. Thanks for not including it here.

Tim K

"©¿©¬" wrote in message
. ..
Hi SMH,

Right after my detailed posting, I tried something esle that made my

DVD
works couple of times. This is how:

- My Computer
- Manage
- Storage
- Removable Storage
- Physical Locations

There I found my two drives each listed two times, once with with a

RED
button and white X on it (Not available), and the second time normal.

They
all showed "Empty" even if I have CD inside.

I deleted the RED entries, Reboot, Retry Encyclopedia CD, Refresh

Drives...
BINGO it works.
Had harder time to get it to read the second original CD "Age of

Mythology",
but it recongnized the title at least which is improvement over

nothing. The
two week old burner didn't work at all !!!

If anything this proves to me it is Software not Hardware.

Back to my question if I format the HD to do clean install.

What is the risk it will/won't recognize W2K install CD ?

PS: Have Win98 startup and W2K 4 floppies

TIA

Old February 12th 04, 09:00 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes!!! )

Hi Tim,

=======================
From: Mike DHaire
Date: 3/29/03

Timmy Kroesen ("Net-Trash") wrote:

How 'bout I nab your penis and smash it with a hammer, mother****er!
LOL !!! LOL !!! LOL !!!
=======================

Feeling no pain, Timmy?
Old February 12th 04, 09:01 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes!!! )

"©¿©¬" wrote:

Hi Tim,

PS : I also hate defamation and try to SNIP it out.
This NG is for the exchange of W2K tips ONLY.
Mind you there is plenty of SMHs in every NG.

( No pipsqueaks have been able to PROVE ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes!!! )

Complete Asshole Timmy Kroesen Flames an Innocent

=====================================
Subject: Complete asshole Tim Kroesen flames an innocent
From: Generic Poster
Date: 6/16/02

Timmy Kroesen ("Net-Kook") wrote:

To bad you're not comfortable posting with a real identity; as to add
some real credibility to your comments... Now join the rest of the
nameless and faceless flies come round to lay their eggs in this load...
You certainly were looking for a convention; you got one; so what.

The real shame is that you're just another whiner who could not, for
whatever reason;

Could not do what, asshole? Run buggy trash on his box?

therefore you proclaim to all your woe.

Why not? It's buggy, it don't work; he's ****ed. So what?

Rather than
come here seeking solutions and info,

Which do not exist, since EZCD will probably never work on his box.

you flame,

Why is that a flame? Buggy SW tends to produce irate users, asshole.
Can you figure that out yet?

then anticipating
rebuttal, proclaim yourself a public service message... g You even
invent a derisive little handle to call yourself; cute; but you should
be as ashamed of yourself as anyone you claim should be selling the
public junk;

Why the **** should he, asshole? The SW is buggy on his box; it doesn't
work; he's ****ed. So?

in this case your anon ill conceived and mostly unfounded
statements.

You ****ing asshole liar. Ample evidence has been produced over years
that EZCD is erratic, and pukes on a large # of systems. Get used to
it!

Hey ****wad! EZCD doesn't work on his system! It may be the SW's
fault! Can you accept that, asshole?
=====================================
Old February 12th 04, 09:02 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes!!! )

"©¿©¬" wrote:

Hi Tim,

PS : I also hate defamation and try to SNIP it out.
This NG is for the exchange of W2K tips ONLY.
Mind you there is plenty of SMHs in every NG.

( No pipsqueaks have been able to PROVE ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes!!! )

===========================
Timmy Kroesen - The Buffoon
===========================

Why is Timmy Kroesen the Buffoon?

Timmy cannot prove ANY of the following is a libel -- despite Mikey's
supposed to have examples of misquotes!

Who Is Mike Richter and
Why Are They Saying All These Horrible Things About Him?

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (wife beating)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (critical bugs)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (major bug)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda limit)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (dae)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no enhanced cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd/cdr-faq)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/cd-text)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/sao/tao)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/single-session)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iv)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/plextor)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(8a)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(9a)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (viii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ix)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (x)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (supplied cd)

What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (i)
What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (ii)

Mike Richter Wow! Wow! Wow!

Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (i)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (ii)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (iii)

Mike Richter & "Looooooooonng" Time for Nothing
Old February 12th 04, 11:43 PM
Tim Kroesen

Firstly; thanks for the sensitivity; not to me; to MR...

I think the key in what you said was you still found Two drive instances
in device manager. Try deleting *all* the drive references; shutdown;
remove drive data and power cables; reboot then note that no CD devices
are presently installed; reboot again and note the same but check
applicable BIOS options first; shutdown and hook the cables back up
noting that the dip switches on drive are set as you need for
channel/DMA/master/slave; reboot; you hopefully will only have one
occurrence of the device...

Tim K

"©¿©¬" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

. ..

Old February 13th 04, 12:00 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes!!! )

"©¿©¬" wrote:

Hi Tim,

PS : I also hate defamation and try to SNIP it out.
This NG is for the exchange of W2K tips ONLY.
Mind you there is plenty of SMHs in every NG.

( No pipsqueaks have been able to PROVE ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes!!! )

====================================
Timmy Kroesen's Calendar Backpedals!
====================================

Timmy Kroesen (the "Net-Kook") wrote:

[Mike Richter (3/18/01)]

2) Specific inconveniences and stupidities on a relatively minor level

The Joe Pyle report you continually quote was nearly a month AFTER this
statement; Mike was quite correct at the time;

Does your calendar backpedal, Timmy boy?

-----------------
From: Joe Pyles
Date: 3/1/01 === (3/1) comes nearly a month AFTER (3/18)
in Timmy's calendar!
-------------------
From: Mike Richter
Date: 3/18/01 === (3/18)

Old February 13th 04, 12:01 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes!!! )

"©¿©¬" wrote:

Hi Tim,

PS : I also hate defamation and try to SNIP it out.
This NG is for the exchange of W2K tips ONLY.
Mind you there is plenty of SMHs in every NG.

( No pipsqueaks have been able to PROVE ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes!!! )

=======================================
Timmy Kroesen's Exquisite Sense of Time
=======================================

Timmy Kroesen (the "Net-Kook") wrote:

Did you enjoy the Federal 'interview' they said was coming;

Enjoyed something that is coming in the future, Timmy boy?

You always had exquisite sense of time:

------------------------------------

From: Joe Pyles
Date: 3/1/01 === (3/1) comes nearly a month AFTER (3/18)
in Timmy's calendar!
-------------------
From: Mike Richter
Date: 3/18/01 === (3/18)

Old February 13th 04, 09:40 AM
©¿©¬

Gone through the painstaking procedure step by step.
The net results is the same as yesterday.
The secondary Master CD/DVD player recognizes the CD tiltle and the list of
contents - That's all. But it takes extremely long time to do so !!!
The secondary Slave CD Burner - Nothing (Same as before).

PS: BIOS/DMA/DIP SWITCHES are correctly set.

Back to square one

Rgds
Tommy

"Tim Kroesen" wrote in message
nk.net...
Firstly; thanks for the sensitivity; not to me; to MR...

I think the key in what you said was you still found Two drive instances
in device manager. Try deleting *all* the drive references; shutdown;
remove drive data and power cables; reboot then note that no CD devices
are presently installed; reboot again and note the same but check
applicable BIOS options first; shutdown and hook the cables back up
noting that the dip switches on drive are set as you need for
channel/DMA/master/slave; reboot; you hopefully will only have one
occurrence of the device...

Tim K

"©¿©¬" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

. ..

Old February 13th 04, 10:57 PM
Tim Kroesen

Are you by any chance using some weird aux IDE controller add on or
right off the MB?

You have confirmed that the drives are ID'd correctly now in device
manager? You're not doing anything strange like reassigning drive
letters or reserving resources?

Have you poked around in
Devicemgr/performance/Filesystems/CD-ROM-Troubleshoot and tried
temporarily disabling some options?

Tim K

"©¿©¬" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"©¿©¬" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

. ..

Old February 14th 04, 07:04 PM
©¿©¬

"Tim Kroesen" wrote in message
ink.net...
Are you by any chance using some weird aux IDE controller add on or
right off the MB?

A1) Right off the MB, as it arrived from Compaq

You have confirmed that the drives are ID'd correctly now in device
manager?

A2) Yes

You're not doing anything strange like reassigning drive
letters or reserving resources?

A3) Never touched those

Have you poked around in
Devicemgr/performance/Filesystems/CD-ROM-Troubleshoot and tried
temporarily disabling some options?

A4) No

It is worth re-mentioning that few months ago, I had Blaster Worm attack.
The best thing was to clean install W2K, but it failed several times. What I
did then is reinstall Win me (which came with the PC) then reinstalled W2K.
Ever since my PC acts up weird at times. Have to do more reboots to clean
hiccups that I never saw in the first 18 months of its life under Win me &
W2K.

Tommy