DreamPC 2006 ready for it's grave...

Old October 22nd 11, 04:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck

Default DreamPC 2006 ready for it's grave...

Hmmm...

I just realized something, those guys running those data centers were
way ahead of their time.

I think I am going to adept to their method of operating and it makes
sense I just thought about it, here is there system/method from what I
can remember, I shall dive into my report later on to see more
details, but there method from what I can remember was basically this:

Three systems are needed for reliable operating:

1. A test system, to test hardware and software changes.
2. A production system.
3. A backup system.

When you think about it it makes sense, two systems are simply not
enough, because testing should not be done on the production system
which should be reliable, if a test fails the production system is
fokked, and the backup system might be a bit old, and the production
system goes down.

They probably had even a fourth system, which was a duplication of the
production system, to more easily do maintaince and switch easily, I
shall consult my report to see what the hell they were doing, but this
idea of "tripple redundancy" is kinda interesting:

1. Use test system to test new software and new patches.
2. Incoorporate those into production system if ok.
3. Make regular backup of production system to backup system.

This way if any system fails, it's not a problem, and use other
systems to get backup quickly.

So maybe it's better if I buy 3 cheap PC's and apply extra work and
time, just to make sure I always have a reliable system to work and
test out... but if all die rapidly after each other then that's bit of
a ****.

I see one little "problem/expense" with this idea: having to have 3
hardware systems, while that's nice it also seems a bit excessive but
then again not really...

Where my pain is mostly feld is with software system... setting up
software systems requires a lot of time... many months really.

Though selecting hardware can also take one or two months.

Also software systems go lost forever, and hardware systems are not
produced anymore.

But software systems can be saved by virtualization and if preserved
properly could last a long time.

So perhaps a single computer with three harddisks might do... but not
really if memory corruption happens.

So perhaps 3 seperate PC's still best, but then how to know if all 3
hardware systems are working properly ?!? This does require some more
testing ! LOL

All in all not a too bad idea, but if all three systems on my table
and I smacked my table, all three could have bad sectors.

Oh by the way... Knoppix has something interesting, it has a tool
which can read "SMART" info from harddisk.

It can show how many bad sectors there are... and it did show that one
of the 2 TB drives had 300+ bad sectors.

I wonder about the other two disconnected drives, so I will connect
those and use Knoppix to look at those drives, that will be most
interesting to see if one or both of them bad too... most
interesting !

I do wonder if perhaps smart data could be wrong though because of
motherboard/bios bugs but perhaps not ?!?

Perhaps "three seperate tables too" !

Anyway these data centers had 3 bunkers seperated across the land !
=D (- fiber optics connected I think it was ! )

Maybe I should do that too ! LOL.

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Old October 22nd 11, 05:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck

Hmm that's funny they had 5 systems: 2 for production, 1 for
development, 1 for installation, 1 for acceptance.

Each system had it's own virtualization stuff on it, so these seem to
be 5 different hardware systems ?! hmm...

Oh well,

I kinda like my "tripple redundancy" idea/system it should be
enough.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 22nd 11, 10:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Thank god,

The soundblaster is alive and well.

My DreamPC is one bad fighting machine !

It's fighting against it's own DEATH !

It has resurrected itself !

I connected all 4 harddisks, I also ran some Microsoft Repair tool from the
harddisk itself.

It mentioned it did not ran completely successfull it mentioned it did not
find a boot manager, it mentioned an OSFailOver or something.

I send the report data to Microsoft for further improvement.

Today I boot the computer and I forgot to press F11 to boot from Knoppix
DVD... and amazingly Windows 7 came back alive !

Apperently enough bad sectors have been repaired so it can now function
properly.

It's pretty damn amazing.

However I have experiences with machine deaths lol... and I know it could be
a fluke of luck ! =D

So I am enjoying my music to the max at the moment ! LOL.

Me so happy that the soundblaster still alive and kicking ! =D

I am also convinced Hitachi harddisks are pretty good, they managed to
recover from death ! =D

The first thing I am going to do now that my Windows 7 has come back alive
is to burn more Linux Distro so I can enjoy my Creative X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1
Soundblaster from Linux Distro's like Ubuntu and Linux Mint. (both debian
based.)

After having used Knoppix 6.7.1 for a few days I am now convinced that Linux
is pretty usuable, stable and has valuable tools which I don't know if
Window's world has an equivalent.

For example Linux has "disk management tool" which can read "S.M.A.R.T."
data from harddisks... I would not be surprised if there are perhaps windows
tools which can do this, so I will have to google that sometime.

However the nice thing about Linux Distro is I don't have to search and find
it... it's already there... However by burning a couple of Linux Distro's to
DVD you can't go wrong.

I think "LIVE CD's and DVD's is the best way for Linux to make inroads into
Windows world and try to lure away windows users". At least people can run
Linux from DVD and don't have to worry about it.

Maybe I will even install linux on a harddisk, but with Live DVD's there
might be no need to do that and simply continue using DVD's. So Linux could
be a second-hand/second-option operating system and I am perfectly fine with
that ! =D

I also tell you the reason why I am going to burn more Linux Distro from
Windows 7 now that it has come back alive:

I CANNOT BURN DISTROS from KNOPPIX ?!? (Because knoppix probably needs the
DVD to remain inside... and I only have one DVD drive).

Perhaps running a virtual machine inside knoppix might make burning possible
but I don't count on that ! =D

Today is a happy day ! I do feel my Dad felt sorry for me and shine some
light from heaven on me and make my computer work again ! LOL.

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Old October 23rd 11, 01:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

The cause of this near death of the system (harddisk failing/bad sectors) is
probably:

Physical shocks.

Probably caused when I opened and closed the doors of the antec 1200 case
while the computer was running.

Especially closing the door leads to a little physical shock, to jam it
shut.

Other possible causes: bumping the table, or perhaps speaker vibrations,
speaker on tables.

I will have to be a bit more carefull in the future !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old October 23rd 11, 01:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
FatBytestard[_2_]

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 02:17:58 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

Probably caused when I opened and closed the doors of the antec 1200 case
while the computer was running.

You are an idiot. A running hard drive can handle several Gs of force.
You closing a ****ing door doesn't even generate a half a G, you stupid
putz!
Stop making excuses for YOUR **** ups.
Old October 23rd 11, 02:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck

wrote:
Probably caused when I opened and closed the doors of the antec 1200 case
while the computer was running.

* You are an idiot. *A running hard drive can handle several Gs of force.
You closing a ****ing door doesn't even generate a half a G, you stupid
putz!
* Stop making excuses for YOUR **** ups.

What does a side-ways shock have to do with g-forces ?

You should probably be looking at some other figures !

None the less, softly kicking a PC case gives about the same force/
effect: bad sectors.

You probably already know that and being an ass, but in case you
don't, do try it out ! LOL.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old October 23rd 11, 02:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
FatBytestard[_2_]

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 06:34:27 -0700 (PDT), Skybuck
wrote:

wrote:
Probably caused when I opened and closed the doors of the antec 1200 case
while the computer was running.

* You are an idiot. *A running hard drive can handle several Gs of force.
You closing a ****ing door doesn't even generate a half a G, you stupid
putz!
* Stop making excuses for YOUR **** ups.

What does a side-ways shock have to do with g-forces ?

More proof that you are clueless.

You should probably be looking at some other figures !

You not only know nothing about computers, you also know nothing about
the world as well. You should go back to coloring books.

None the less, softly kicking a PC case gives about the same force/
effect: bad sectors.

You're an idiot.
Old October 23rd 11, 04:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
FatBytestard[_2_]

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 06:34:27 -0700 (PDT), Skybuck
wrote:

wrote:
Probably caused when I opened and closed the doors of the antec 1200 case
while the computer was running.

* You are an idiot. *A running hard drive can handle several Gs of force.
You closing a ****ing door doesn't even generate a half a G, you stupid
putz!
* Stop making excuses for YOUR **** ups.

What does a side-ways shock have to do with g-forces ?

You are an idiot. The term is a measure of acceleration rate, idiot.
Do a bit of research on vibrational shock and testing.

You should probably be looking at some other figures !

You should probably actually know even basic physics before you go
'round in public attempting to expound on physics. That is the exact
term used by the industry, it does not have a directional vector.
Regardless of the angle you strike your machine, idiot, the force you
apply to the parts inside are measured as and referred to as Gs of force.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...Specifications

Note that it can handle more Gs than you could give it, even if you
used a hammer to close the door. Other drives have similar specs.

None the less, softly kicking a PC case gives about the same force/
effect: bad sectors.

You are an idiot. Someone should have kicked your mother... some many
months before you were conceived.

You probably already know that

I know that you are an abject idiot.

and being an ass,

I cannot help you with your personal identity problems.

but in case you
don't, do try it out ! LOL.

The only "case" I want to kick right now is the bone case that
encapsulates the three neurons between your ears.

In your case, however, it would probably FIX many broken and mutated
sectors. You would emerge better off, as impossible as that usually is.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old October 23rd 11, 11:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Fierce Guppy[_4_]

"Skybuck" wrote in message
Hello,

My experiment with building a DreamPC has pretty much come to an end.

I am now fed up with it's problems.

The top 5 problems/killers a

1. Dust
2. Overheat
3. Electric shocks
4. Physical shocks
5. Insects

For some reason the brand new hitachi 2 TB drive has failed according
to Microsoft Windows 7, it is supposed to have bad sectors.

Which is kinda strange...

Perhaps the motherboard is malfunctioning again and is cause of
problems. Perhaps it's windows 7 corruption but it also seems hardware
wise problem.

Knoppix live does work somewhat with the drives, Google Chrome is
weird and cannot post. Conquerer webbrowser can post, it warns about
invalid security certificates which is kinda weird.

The antec 1200 is bad case, the scythe zipang cooler was way too big,
the gtx 7900 overheated, the amd x2 cpu ran way too hot, some of these
components were on cutting edge, and some just bad.

Conclusion is:

Building PC is not as easy as one would think, there are dangers some
up above in short, many things can cause those dangers.

My entire PC building experience couldn't fill a thimble, yet things still
fit, are cutting edge, don't overheat ( http://tinyurl.com/3ca3fme ) and the
building process for me is straightforward but slow. Oh, so slow... I do
do quite a bit of reading about a component in order to evaluate its form,
fit and function. This is maybe the area where you need to put more effort
into, aside from cleaning out the debris from your PC more often. But
electric shocks??? Really? You shouldn't be fiddling with the internals
that are not meant to be fiddled with when the power is on.

Tony.

Old October 24th 11, 03:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Nobody > (Revisited)

On 10/23/2011 3:37 PM, Fierce Guppy wrote:
This is maybe the area where you need to put more effort
into, aside from cleaning out the debris from your PC more often. But
electric shocks??? Really? You shouldn't be fiddling with the internals
that are not meant to be fiddled with when the power is on.

The rest of us wish StyFart wouldn't even touch his computer.

He's been breaking things continuously since about 2003, then coming
into forums and newsgroups *everywhere* to complain and/or come up with
bizarre theories on why stuff breaks.

--
"**** this is it, all the pieces do fit.
We're like that crazy old man jumping