My computer's internal speaker doesn't work.

Old March 3rd 09, 06:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
dos-man

Default My computer's internal speaker doesn't work.

This doesn't work at all. I can't even drop down into real-mode and
beep the damn thing with a qbasic program.

Does anybody know if this has anything to do with the sound card, or
is the internal speaker on motherboard??
Old March 3rd 09, 06:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

dos-man wrote:
This doesn't work at all. I can't even drop down into real-mode and
beep the damn thing with a qbasic program.

Does anybody know if this has anything to do with the sound card, or
is the internal speaker on motherboard??

Are you sure that it ever worked? Some PCs no longer have an internal
speaker.
Old March 3rd 09, 06:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
PS[_2_]

dos-man wrote:
This doesn't work at all. I can't even drop down into real-mode and
beep the damn thing with a qbasic program.

Does anybody know if this has anything to do with the sound card, or
is the internal speaker on motherboard??

the speaker is fed from the motherboard.
Old March 3rd 09, 06:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Steve

"dos-man" wrote in message
This doesn't work at all. I can't even drop down into real-mode and
beep the damn thing with a qbasic program.

Does anybody know if this has anything to do with the sound card, or
is the internal speaker on motherboard??

It's nothing to do with the sound card. You should get one short beep
during the initial part of bootup, so it's nothing to do with operating
systems either, just the motherboard and speaker.

Old March 3rd 09, 06:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
dos-man 64

On Mar 3, 1:23*pm, Grinder wrote:
dos-man wrote:
This doesn't work at all. *I can't even drop down into real-mode and
beep the damn thing with a qbasic program.

Does anybody know if this has anything to do with the sound card, or
is the internal speaker on motherboard??

Are you sure that it ever worked? *Some PCs no longer have an internal
speaker.

No, not really. I got this motherboard about six months ago. It's an
older board, as I use windows 98 and need compatible hardware.
Old March 3rd 09, 06:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
dos-man 64

On Mar 3, 1:41*pm, "Steve" wrote:
"dos-man" wrote in message

This doesn't work at all. *I can't even drop down into real-mode and
beep the damn thing with a qbasic program.

Does anybody know if this has anything to do with the sound card, or
is the internal speaker on motherboard??

It's nothing to do with the sound card. *You should get one short beep
during the initial part of bootup, so it's nothing to do with operating
systems either, just the motherboard and speaker.

No, I don't get a beep at startup. I'm going to check the CMOS to see
if there is any type of option to shut it off. It doesn't look good.
As a last chance resort, I'll see if I can whip up a TSR to beep the
sound card instead. Sounds like fun
Old March 3rd 09, 07:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

dos-man 64 wrote:

Grinder wrote:

dos-man wrote:

This doesn't work at all. *I can't even drop down into real-mode and
beep the damn thing with a qbasic program. Does anybody know if
this has anything to do with the sound card, or is the internal
speaker on motherboard??

Are you sure that it ever worked? *Some PCs no longer have an internal
speaker.

No, not really. I got this motherboard about six months ago. It's an
older board, as I use windows 98 and need compatible hardware.

Um, so you built this home-brew box. So why wouldn't you know if you
installed a speaker inside the box? Why not reopen the box and look
inside for a speaker? Or just look at the mobo to see if there is a
piezo speaker soldered onto it?

Of course, telling others the actual brand and model of the motherboard
would do wonders in helping those others to go lookup the same data that
you could find via Google or going to the mobo maker's web site. Or was
this a hypothetical question?
Old March 3rd 09, 07:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

dos-man 64 wrote:
On Mar 3, 1:41 pm, "Steve" wrote:
"dos-man" wrote in message

This doesn't work at all. I can't even drop down into real-mode and
beep the damn thing with a qbasic program.
Does anybody know if this has anything to do with the sound card, or
is the internal speaker on motherboard??

It's nothing to do with the sound card. You should get one short beep
during the initial part of bootup, so it's nothing to do with operating
systems either, just the motherboard and speaker.

No, I don't get a beep at startup. I'm going to check the CMOS to see
if there is any type of option to shut it off. It doesn't look good.
As a last chance resort, I'll see if I can whip up a TSR to beep the
sound card instead. Sounds like fun

The computer case speaker doesn't come from the sound card.

Download a copy of 25281202 from this page. This is a reference
schematic for an 875 board (S478,DDR,AGP) motherboard.

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets...ics/252812.htm

First, go to PDF page 74. There, you'll find a case speaker
driver circuit. It uses a single transistor in emitter follower
mode. (I've seen other circuit implementations for the speaker
driver, so that isn't the only one.)

Then, head over to PDF page 34. The SPKR signal comes from ICH5,
the Southbridge on that motherboard.

Note that, on at least one board, when the "USB detect" function
had a beep sound added in the BIOS, it drove people bonkers.
There were people thinking the added sound meant their motherboard
was busted. The BIOS mod people, in a bid to quickly stop the
madness, disabled the SPKR drive completely at the BIOS level.
Whether that technique also causes plug and play enumeration
to ignore it as well, I don't know. If the BIOS people had
source, they could have removed the beep references in the
USB module, but apparently they didn't have access to that,
so they shut off beeps entirely. But that was only
done on a limited few board models, until the BIOS
geniuses at Award or AMI were told to stop doing it.
If two USB devices were detected at POST, users reported
hearing two "boop" sounds (as the sound created wasn't
at the same frequency as beep error codes).

Presumably, the SPKR output on the Southbridge, is tied to
the timer structure in the Southbridge, so that a timer can
be used to create the tone.

I understand that other devices on the motherboard can be
used for the "PC speaker" function, but on that Intel
reference schematic, they're using a pin labeled as such
on the Southbridge.

Paul
Old March 3rd 09, 10:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
dos-man 64

On Mar 3, 2:13*pm, VanguardLH wrote:
dos-man 64 wrote:
Grinder wrote:

dos-man wrote:

[...]

Honestly, I never realized that the speaker was on the motherboard. I
guess I never gave it that much thought.
Anyway, I guess it's not that big of a deal. It's just that I wanted
to write a game that runs under dos, and this is a bit of a setback. I
was all set too. I'm just finishing up work on a sprite and level
editor, now. Oh, well. I suppose that this pc will be gone by the
time I finish up the graphics and logic for the game. I'll put in the
sound later

I found my motherboard manual. It's one of the via km400a/km266 pro +
8237 chipset based. am4am-v / km4m-v /km3m-v. Not sure which of
these mine is. Doesn't say anything in this guide about a speaker.
And I couldn't find anything in the CMOS (although there is some
cryptic stuff in there that I don't know what it does)

I tried running some qbasic code to play sound on the soundcard and I
made sure that the dos drivers were installed. That doesn't work
either. I only get black and white screen from dos with this PNY pci
video card I put in and now I have no sound either. Freak!
Old March 4th 09, 12:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

dos-man 64 wrote:
I found my motherboard manual. It's one of the via km400a/km266 pro +
8237 chipset based. am4am-v / km4m-v /km3m-v. Not sure which of
these mine is. Doesn't say anything in this guide about a speaker.

The manual for the KM4M-V/KM3M-V over at MSI identifies a speaker header
that's a part of JFP2. You can download the manual he

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?f...54&type=manual

Here's one for $8 at eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Internal-PC-Spea...3286.m20.l1116

Here's a picture that better shows the connector:

http://www.coolermaster.nl/shop/imag...pear%20(2).jpg

Here's a piezo version:

http://store.cwc-group.com/8ohm.html

If you find a discarded PC case, you can probably scavenge one for free.
Or, given that your PC is a bit of a mystery to you, you might even
have one mounted that is simply not connected.