What are the best brands to get dual-layer DVDRWs (+ and -)?

Old December 31st 08, 10:22 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
Ant

Default What are the best brands to get dual-layer DVDRWs (+ and -)?

On 12/31/2008 7:42 AM PT, Vic Hyu Garcia typed:

Yes, RW since I will be reusing them.

Is it me or are DVD+/-RW discs rare?

Just you. Not as common as DVD+/-R but nothing even remotely
resembling anything like rare.

But maybe you left out the dual layer in the body of this post.

DL DVD+/-RWs arent very common at all.

Sorry, I meant dual layer/DL RWs not the cheaper smaller capability ones.

Oh well, those are definitely in the rare to never seen one category, it
most be the price question.

The problems with RW (SL) are mostly in the compatibility path, while
they work in computer readers, most give errors when used in a normal
consumer DVD.
I had use 3 different brands, none has played OK neither on my players
(Phillips) or my cousin one (Samsung), so for me they are very expensive
coasters.

Wow, I thought this issue would resolved by now. Hence, why I stuck with
CD burners for many years and finally decided to get a DVD burner drive.
I remember this problem with CDRWs back in the old days. That was quite
annoying. Things got a lot better now. I just hated making coasters with
CDRs and DVDRs. And I do like to erase RW medias and reuse them. I guess
I should not bother with DVD RW medias then.
--
"He who storms in like a whirlwind returns like an ant." --Borneo
/\___/\
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Old December 31st 08, 11:06 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
Paul Heslop

Ant wrote:

On 12/31/2008 12:11 AM PT, Paul Heslop typed:

Ant wrote:
On 12/30/2008 9:49 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

Ant wrote
Ant wrote
Yes, RW since I will be reusing them.
Is it me or are DVD+/-RW discs rare?
Just you. Not as common as DVD+/-R but nothing even remotely resembling anything like rare.

But maybe you left out the dual layer in the body of this post.

DL DVD+/-RWs arent very common at all.
Sorry, I meant dual layer/DL RWs not the cheaper smaller capability ones.

well I just did some hunting and they do seem to be impossible to
find. even though the JVC brand seem to have been developed and
created I found none. Are you sure your machine would actually be
capable of recording on them? Someone suggested that the panasonic
recorders which have DL capability will write to them but that's all
I've seen.

Hmm, you're right and I didn't even notice. I thought all today's DVD
burner drives had that support by now!

http://www.sonynec-optiarc.com/produ...rw/ad7220.html I only
see DVD+/-R DL. Nero's InfoTool 5 doesn't show it either:
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/442...fotool5lc3.gif (only -R and
+R DL).

What SATA DVD burner drives come with them these days?

dunno mate, I'm still stuck in the dark ages :O)

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look
Old December 31st 08, 11:06 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
Paul Heslop

Ant wrote:

[...]

DVD ram is the most stable.

Old December 31st 08, 11:12 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
Ant

On 12/31/2008 2:06 PM PT, Paul Heslop typed:

[...]

LOL. CD burner only? I was like that before I got this drive!
Apparently, I am still early for it. ;P
--
"PLEASE tell your aardvark that I'm NOT an anthill!" --unknown
/\___/\

Old December 31st 08, 11:15 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
Ant

[...]

And least compatiblity: http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3.1
.... Ugh.
--
"Number fourteen. The naughty bits of an ant." --Monty Python's Flying
Circus

Old January 1st 09, 03:05 AM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
Rod Speed

Ant wrote:
[...]

Not if you only need SL DVD+/-RW

Old January 1st 09, 03:06 AM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
Rod Speed

Ant wrote:
[...]

SL DVD+/-RW is very readily available and the better DVD players handle them fine.

Old January 1st 09, 10:53 AM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
Ant

[...]

Ah, I want a DVD burner including DL RW. I guess I won't bother now
after reading bad things about it.
--
"Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
/\___/\

Old January 1st 09, 10:57 AM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
Ant

On 12/31/2008 6:06 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

[...]

Yeah, it looks like I will have to do that. I was hoping for more disc
space with DL.
--
"As when death smites the swollen brooding thing that inhabits their
crawling hill and holds them all in sway, ants will wander witless and

Old January 1st 09, 11:33 AM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
Paul Heslop

Ant wrote:

[...]

no, I have a dvd burner, it's external and works well, but I have no
idea about SATA and etc at all, they're just words to me.

dual layer for dvd-rw Tomo Cdr 8 January 16th 06 01:51 AM
Dual Layer Rod Williams Cdr 4 April 6th 05 08:35 PM
Dual layer dvd rw Brian J Dell Computers 19 November 25th 04 06:49 PM
Dual Layer DVD-Rs Chris Homebuilt PC's 0 June 2nd 04 06:23 PM
Dual Layer DVD-Rs Daniel P Homebuilt PC's 2 June 2nd 04 09:39 AM