Problem Playing Back Music CD-Rs

Old September 18th 08, 10:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Default Problem Playing Back Music CD-Rs

Morton wrote:

smh wrote:
Morton wrote:
smh wrote:
. --------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/gqnae

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above )
(is a LIBEL -- despite Mikey claimed to have PROOF of libels!)
'

Morton wrote:
smh wrote:
Morton wrote:
Hi smh and Mike,

Thanks for the replies. In the field, I burned a CD-R of the music from
my digital recorder's SD card.As I said, that CD-R plays in my PC's CVD
player, but not in my audio system's CD player.

Next, I copied that CD-R to my PC's hard drive. Then , utilizing Roxio
Creator Suite, I created an audio CD-R from the hard drive. That CD-R
does play on my audio stereo system, but the music is harsh, fluttery,
and without body. There is a mismatch somewhere.

When I copy the SD card's music from my digital recorder directly to the
H.D., then burn a CD-R, that works just fine. When the source is a CD-R
from the portable CD-R burner, it does not.

I would like very much to be able to burn a CD-R in the field, of
recorded music, as a backup, and have a CD-R that really plays in my
audio system.

What are the extensions of the file in SD, hard disk, cd-r burned from
the digital recorder, and cd-r burned with Roxio?
I do not know. How do I find out?
Insert SD and/or CD (and exit Auto-run/play).

Click Start button and type "explorer" (without the quotes). Several
programs will be listed under Programs. Select Windows Explorer and hit
Enter to open it.

In Tools menu, choose Folder Options. Click View tab and uncheck 'Hide
extensions for known file types'. Click OK.

In the left pane, double-click "Computer". This will list all the
drives. Select the drive you want to explore. Right pane will list files
(and folders). When you select a file in the right pane, full filename
will be displayed including the extension.

What's the make and model number of the portable cd-r burner and digital
recorder?
EZ DigiMagic, and Roland Edirol R-09.

Hi,

I record with the digital recorder at CD book specs = 16 bit and 44.1
khz. As I said, when I burn a CD-R via my PC from the recorder's SD
card, the music is great. When I burn a CD-R using the portable CD
burner, it does not play on my stereo system but does play on my PC. If
I copy that CD-R to my hard drive and then burn a new CD-R, the music is
tinny and weird-sounding.

Thanks again.

Morton

In detail, what are the steps you followed burning to cd-r with the
portable cd burner?

1) Turn on portable CD burner
2) Insert locked SD card into burner
3) Insert blank CD-R into burner
4) Push start button
5) Take out finished CD-R.

Thanks.

Morton

Was hoping you open some software.

Install IsoBuster. Insert the cd-r and open IsoBuster. Report back what
IsoBuster lists in left and right panes. Left pane lists file systems
and the right pane lists folders and files.
http://www.isobuster.com
Old September 19th 08, 01:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Morton

smh wrote:
Morton wrote:
smh wrote:
Morton wrote:
. --------------------------------------

Morton wrote:
smh wrote:
Morton wrote:
[...]

No, it's all automatic. That's good for photos, but apparently not good
for music.

Thanks again.

Morton

Old September 19th 08, 11:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Noik

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 20:31:18 -0700, smh wrote:

What are the extensions of the file in SD, hard disk, cd-r burned from
the digital recorder, and cd-r burned with Roxio?

I do not know. How do I find out?

Insert SD and/or CD (and exit Auto-run/play).

Click Start button and type "explorer" (without the quotes). Several
programs will be listed under Programs. Select Windows Explorer and hit
Enter to open it.

In Tools menu, choose Folder Options. Click View tab and uncheck 'Hide
extensions for known file types'. Click OK.

In the left pane, double-click "Computer". This will list all the
drives. Select the drive you want to explore. Right pane will list files
(and folders). When you select a file in the right pane, full filename
will be displayed including the extension.

Morton, unless I missed it, you haven't answered the question about
filename extensions on the various media. I've got a feeling that's
the key to the mystery.

Old September 20th 08, 08:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Noik wrote:

smh wrote:

[...]

Don't think Morton wants to know the answer.

Anyway, the only thing that somewhat makes sense is that the recorder
records as mp3 in SD and then the portable burner burns the mp3 under a
folder. When the mp3 is copied to the hard disk and then the mp3 is
burned by Roxio as audio cd by decoding the mp3. Think problem source is
the decoding process. What's at fault may be determined when the bit
rate of the mp3 is known.
Old September 21st 08, 01:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Morton

. --------------------------------------

Noik wrote:
smh wrote:

[...]

Hi SMH,

No, no, no. I told you a few times that the recorder that I use is set
by me to record WAV. at CD book standards = 16 bit and 44.1 khz. I am
not recording at MP3. I am recording at 16/44.1, and burning at 16/44.1.
I will look up the file extensions as soon as I have the time to do so,
and then post them.
(My wife is legally blind, diabetic, etc., and requires my constant
attention.)
Thanks to all for your suggestions, and I obviously do want to know the
answer.
Morton
Old September 21st 08, 06:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Noik

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 00:56:35 -0700, smh wrote:

Anyway, the only thing that somewhat makes sense is that the recorder
records as mp3 in SD and then the portable burner burns the mp3 under a
folder. When the mp3 is copied to the hard disk and then the mp3 is
burned by Roxio as audio cd by decoding the mp3. Think problem source is
the decoding process. What's at fault may be determined when the bit
rate of the mp3 is known.

Decoding Mp3 is what all Mp3 players do, and there's really no
reason to think that *any* Mp3 decoder (not even Roxio's) would mangle
an Mp3 the way he describes. My guess would be that the portable
burner is creating CD-Audio, and that things are getting mangled by
the DAE (Digital Audio Extraction for Morton's benefit). Audio CDs
can't be copied like data CDs, the error checking isn't there. A
somewhat crappy CD-A burn by the portable burner combined with crappy
DAE might account for what he's seeing (if I haven't lost track of
things).

Old September 22nd 08, 01:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Morton

Noik wrote:
[...]

Hi Noik,

Thanks for your comments.

I tried this evening to find the file extensions as described in an
earlier post, and got many files in the large right pane, none of which
(when opened) bore any reference to sound recording or CDs. The
explanation of the portable CD burner's tech support that the music is
recorded in folders, that my PC can read the folders, and that a
standard audio CD player cannot, might be correct. However, that does
not help me.

So, thanks to everyone for trying to help me. To the poster who
misunderstood my explanation and accused me of not wanting to know the
answer to my question, I suggest that you please keep your advice to
yourself.

End of story.

Thanks again.

Morton
Old September 22nd 08, 06:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Morton wrote:

I tried this evening to find the file extensions as described in an
earlier post, and got many files in the large right pane,

The right pane of what software?

none of which (when opened)

Opened with what software?

none of which (when opened)
bore any reference to sound recording or CDs.

When I transfer the music to a CD-R with this portable CD burner,
the CD plays well on my PC.

Old September 22nd 08, 11:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Noik

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:42:18 -0400, Morton wrote:

I tried this evening to find the file extensions as described in an
earlier post, and got many files in the large right pane, none of which
(when opened) bore any reference to sound recording or CDs.

You couldn't see any filename extensions? A "." followed by three
characters at the end of the filename? Did you follow directions and
uncheck the "hide extensions" option? What do you see when you right
click on a filename and select Properties? Anything about the file
type?

Old September 28th 08, 04:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Morton Linder

Noik wrote:
On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:42:18 -0400, Morton wrote:

I tried this evening to find the file extensions as described in an
earlier post, and got many files in the large right pane, none of which
(when opened) bore any reference to sound recording or CDs.

You couldn't see any filename extensions? A "." followed by three
characters at the end of the filename? Did you follow directions and
uncheck the "hide extensions" option? What do you see when you right
click on a filename and select Properties? Anything about the file
type?

Hi,

Please excuse my absence from the group for a while In the first place,
my wife had 2 operations on her nose for skin cancer, and her needs
occupied all my time. Then,my newly repaired newer laptop PC wiped out
my SeaMonkey browser and made I.E. inoperative. Trying to puzzle out
what went wrong was a nightmare, still not resolved. I'm sending this on
my old PC laptop, which gives me a hard time regarding messages to
newsgroups.

I am grateful to all who helped me regarding my audio CD-R problem, and
will further pursue the question of file extension names as soon as I
can, and then get back to you.

Thanks for your patience.

Morton