nero discspeed - erase vs format

Old August 14th 08, 04:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.publish.cdrom.software
smh

Default Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD+RW (format/erase)

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

smh wrote:

Mike Richter (Slimy ****) crapped:

A disc needs to be formatted before it will permit drag-and-drop.

A "virgin" DVD+RW needs to be formatted prior to its use even for
mastering.

There are two formattings: (udf) formatting and (plain) formatting.
DVD+RW needs to be (plain) formatted prior to its use. (udf) formatting
is built on top of (plain) formatting.

When Nero burns a mastering session on a 'virgin' DVD+RW:

"Start formatting disc before burning"
"Formatting disc was successful"
"Start write address at LBA 0"

Erasing is erasing and in itself does not format;
in fact, it destroys formatting if present.

DVD+RW does not support erasing. DVD+RW formatting does not get
destroyed.

DVD+RW specification does not support erasing. However, this does not
prevent software/burner to implement some sort of "erase" functionality.

In any event, the (plain) formatting does not get erased.

The rationale behind DVD+RW not supporting erasing is that it is not
necessary (as overwriting does it). It only unnecessarily takes away one
cycle from the overwritability.

.
Mikey, is there an end to your spreading misinformation?!

.
Any program which offers to format a disc should be fed one with nothing
recorded. Given the way it is done, formatting s/w will either refuse to
work on a disc with data or will make those data unreadable -
effectively if not actually erasing the disc.

Is this Mikey's wise words of the year?

Old August 15th 08, 12:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Jack Bauer

Default nero discspeed - erase vs format

Eric Gisin wrote:
DiscSpeed is a free download from Nero, which includes an erase function.

The dialog has both Erase and Format functions. What is the difference?
SCSI MMC has ERASE.

One of my DVD+RW has a faint arc scratch, which shows up as hard errors
at 3GB.
Should erase pick this up? The laser has to switch between read
(tracking) and writing, and can detect some flaws during the former.

I have read that Liteon produces a DVD drive that has Smart Erase - a
function that permanently and completely erases ALL data so that no one
would ever be able to extract data from the disk. It could be that Nero
takes advantage of capabilities like this when it can.
Old August 15th 08, 03:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Jack Bauer wrote:
Eric Gisin wrote:
DiscSpeed is a free download from Nero, which includes an erase function.

The dialog has both Erase and Format functions. What is the difference?
SCSI MMC has ERASE.

One of my DVD+RW has a faint arc scratch, which shows up as hard errors
at 3GB.
Should erase pick this up? The laser has to switch between read
(tracking) and writing, and can detect some flaws during the former.

I have read that Liteon produces a DVD drive that has Smart Erase - a
function that permanently and completely erases ALL data so that no one
would ever be able to extract data from the disk.

Better not believe that. The information on how well you can erase
optical media is sketchy. Sure, another plain optical drive will not
read erased data. But it may or may not be possible to read it with
special hardware.

Arno
Old August 17th 08, 08:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Eric Gisin wrote:
[...]

You do not actually need special hardware to recover quick erased
disks. I have worked on a technique where DVD-RW (and CD-RW) can be
recovered using standard hardware. On a DVD+RW the data is normally
easily readable with a standard drive even when the DVD is apparently
empty.

The only secure erase will take time - probably at least 5 mins for a
DVD and probably longer. Anything less, don't trust it.

Michael
www.cnwrecovery.com
Old August 17th 08, 10:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Careful, you'll have ****nert frothing at the mouth for sure.

Old August 17th 08, 04:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Squeeze

Rod Speed wrote in
wrote:

Eric Gisin wrote:
[...]

Is that an open nerv I hear sounding through, Roddy?
It wasn't really your best week, was it.
Old August 18th 08, 12:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Squeeze wrote:
Rod Speed wrote in

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed hallucinations, ****nert.

Old August 19th 08, 05:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
smh

Default Mike Richter - The Slimiest Lying Friggin SOB (UDF)

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

The Kat (Dumbass) screamed (8/10/08):

WHY in the **** are you both..

B) Leaving the BULL**** subjectline intact??

Dumbass!

You did not call Brendan dumbass.

Acknowledging "Mike Richter - The Slimiest Lying Friggin SOB (UDF)" is
not a bull****!

From: Brendan R. Wehrung
Date: 8/7/08