Can't read a burned DVD

Old July 5th 08, 10:54 AM posted to alt.comp.cdr,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Ant

Default Can't read a burned DVD

On 7/5/2008 1:51 AM PT, smh typed:

. --------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/gqnae

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above )
(is a LIBEL -- despite Mikey claimed to have PROOF of libels!)
'

Ant wrote:
smh typed:
Ant wrote:
I got a burned Memorex 4.7 GB 16X DVD+R (RW) with a huge 4 GB RAR file.
I am unable to read it on multiple computers:
According to the burner, he used Vista to burn it which I didn't
know there was a DVD burner option in it.

Most likely the disc was burned in Vista Live File System which is
packet writing in UDF 2.01. Winxp/sp2 should have read the disc, but
AFAIK, Linux does not yet support UDF 2.01.
You should have this:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\udfs.sys
File version: 5.1.2600.2180
Size: 66,176 bytes
Modified: August 10, 2004, 4:00:00 AM

I have it: 5.1.2600.2180, 64.6 KB (66,176 bytes), and Tuesday, August
03, 2004, 11:00:32 PM.

If the above is what you have, then the burn was sub-optimal or
drive/media mismatch. (One of my Liteon DVD burners does not recognize
mastered Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R.)

Interesting. So, are you saying he needs to reburn with a different DVD?
Man, I thought this issue was resolved long ago. I remember this problem
with CDs.

If his burner is 16x, try another brand like Verbatim (Singapore). If
his burner is 8x/4x, try 8x/4x disc. Unlike with CD-R, dvd media is
better off burned at its rated speed.

OK, I will ask him about that. I assume he used whatever defaults in Vista.

You know, others and I have noticed some burned DVDs (not the same burn
I mentioned earlier) just don't work in some DVD drives like at work
(some hate Office Max, Memorex, etc.). It drives us nuts. This is why I
still don't own DVD burner and still use the reliable CD burners (my old
Plextor PX-W1210 PlexWriter (12/10/32A; IDE) from end of 2000!). :
--
"PLEASE tell your aardvark that I'm NOT an anthill!" --unknown
/\___/\
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Old July 5th 08, 11:26 PM posted to alt.comp.cdr,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Ant

On 7/5/2008 2:54 AM PT, Ant typed:

[...]

OK, he doesn't know and I am assuming he used the defaults in Vista's
DVD burner program (didn't know Vista had one).
--
"The shadows now so long do grow,... That brambles like tall cedars
show,... Molehills seem mountains, and the ant... Appears a monstrous

Old July 6th 08, 06:37 PM posted to alt.comp.cdr,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Eric Gisin

"Ant" wrote in message ...
IsoBuster v2.4.0.1's status bar said "In case of errors, read requests
can take a long time to complete."

Then after a few minutes, it said "No file systems and/or files found"
-- "During moutning of the disc only a session/track layout could be
found. No file-systems nor files and folders could be found. Assuming
you are looking for certain (missing) files, we suggest you run the
option: "Find missing files and folders"". I did not continue since it
probably would not work.

I did notice in its GUI, it showed sesson 1 with its Track 01 that was
4.38 GB (4,700,372,992 bytes) with 0 LBA and N/A modified.

This info is stored in the lead in, with multiple copies.

I did not see where the UDF version is. Where is it located? I hope the
provided datas, above, helped.

Near the beginning of the track. Errors here mean you need data recovery software.

Do see what condition your disc is in, grab Nero discspeed (free) and do a scandisc.
Old July 7th 08, 01:38 AM posted to alt.comp.cdr,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/gqnae

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above )
(is a LIBEL -- despite Mikey claimed to have PROOF of libels!)
'

Ant wrote:

On 7/5/2008 2:54 AM PT, Ant typed:

[...]

(Find out the dvd writer's speed. Get the brand name and model number in
the Device Manager and search for the writer's spec.)

Have your friend burn the 4G file in 'Mastered'. In the autorun menu
when a blank disc is inserted, select 'Burn files to disc using
Windows'. In the 'Burn/Prepare disc' window, click down arrow of 'Show
formatting options' and then select 'Mastered'. (Live File System is
selected by default.) After adding the 4G file, click 'Burn to disc'
button. In the 'Burn to Disc' window that pops up, select 16x (or
highest speed) in the 'Recording speed' drop down box. The resulting dvd
is in ISO 9660 that should be readable in all operating systems and
optical drives.

An amusing account on Vista burning:
http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic....70422083715451
Old July 7th 08, 09:44 PM posted to alt.comp.cdr,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Ant

[...]

Interesting. I will ask him later. Since I have an old machine, with
HL-DT-ST GDR8163B drive (who is that?) that can read the burned DVD, I
just copied the file and went from there. And that was on an old
machine with updated Windows XP Pro. SP2. Funny how even an external USB
HP DVD300e DVD Writer can't read this burned DVD.
--
"They are like the ant... They start one way and turn around and go the
other way... They look all the time at the ground and never see the
( )