Help Wtd: DVD Rom/Writer

Old October 1st 03, 05:51 PM
Skint4sure

Default Help Wtd: DVD Rom/Writer

Hi fellas,

I have an AMD K6II 450 cpu, 128mb ram and an 8mb AGP Graphics card.
I recently bought a DVD ROM Drive Liteo-On model, fitted it into the pc but
when I inserted a musical DVD it would not play properly ( it kept
stuttering.
Is there an obvious reason for this ?
I am wanting to purchase a DVD Writer and the minimum specs for it to play are
apparently a 350Mhz cpu and 128 mb of ram.
So although the music DVD disc would not play properly on the pc, does this
mean that a DVD Writer will not function properly ?
I'm not intending to actualy play any DVD movies etc on the pc just use the DVD
Writer as a writer only.
If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be most grateful.
Thanks for your kind help.

Old October 1st 03, 06:57 PM
Patch

[...]

How many programs are running in background? Sounds like too many.

Old October 1st 03, 10:22 PM
Skint4sure

So you fellas are saying that the spec of my pc should be good enough for a DVD
Rom drive ?
Old October 3rd 03, 02:24 AM
Jan Alter

I'd say so. But like Patch says it sounds like there's a lot of memory being
used in other places so that the CD-ROM is struggling to keep up to output
the music.

--
Jan Alter

Old October 3rd 03, 02:32 AM
JAD

VIA chipset?

Old October 4th 03, 11:01 AM
Skint4sure

nope ALI Chipset
Old October 17th 03, 07:51 PM
Ric

Skint4sure wrote:
Hi fellas,

I have an AMD K6II 450 cpu, 128mb ram and an 8mb AGP Graphics card.
I recently bought a DVD ROM Drive Liteo-On model, fitted it into the
pc but when I inserted a musical DVD it would not play properly (
it kept stuttering.
Is there an obvious reason for this ?
I am wanting to purchase a DVD Writer and the minimum specs for it to
play are apparently a 350Mhz cpu and 128 mb of ram.
So although the music DVD disc would not play properly on the pc,
does this mean that a DVD Writer will not function properly ?
I'm not intending to actualy play any DVD movies etc on the pc just
use the DVD Writer as a writer only.
If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be most grateful.
Thanks for your kind help.

i'm sure i've answered this before, but that spec is *really borderline* for
playing back, let alone writing DVDs. it will probably work, but you'll
need to burn at 1x speed, close all other programs and hold your breath
whilst it does it. should play audio ok though: the fact it isn't suggests
something odd's happening. does it do it with all cd's? have you got DMA
enabled on it?
time for a memory and cpu upgrade really, though...