is that okay if i use 2 memory stick from different brand?

Old April 19th 04, 05:39 PM
Steven Kuok

Default is that okay if i use 2 memory stick from different brand?

i want to use 2 512mb stick on my dual channel motherboard.(1 from crucial
and 1 from kingston). I want to know if they will perform better or worse
than if i use 2 memory from the same maker?

thx for reading this

Old April 19th 04, 07:52 PM
Ian Smythe

Steven Kuok wrote:
i want to use 2 512mb stick on my dual channel motherboard.(1 from crucial
and 1 from kingston). I want to know if they will perform better or worse
than if i use 2 memory from the same maker?

thx for reading this

For dual channel it is best to use the same maker. It works for me. If you

don't then buy from a store such as Circuit City who will take the
chip back. :-)

Old April 19th 04, 10:53 PM
doughy2002

They should work fine, Running dual channel doesnt make that much
difference in real life apps anyway. Ive mixed brands quite a few times and
never had a problem as long as they are the same speed.

doughnut

Old April 20th 04, 12:15 AM
Ben Pope

Steven Kuok wrote:
i want to use 2 512mb stick on my dual channel motherboard.(1 from crucial
and 1 from kingston). I want to know if they will perform better or worse
than if i use 2 memory from the same maker?

Yes you can, the performance will be the same.

You'll get the lowest common denominator in terms of timings and speeds.

Ben

Old April 20th 04, 09:12 AM
Chip

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
Steven Kuok wrote:
i want to use 2 512mb stick on my dual channel motherboard.(1 from

crucial
and 1 from kingston). I want to know if they will perform better or

worse
than if i use 2 memory from the same maker?

Yes you can, the performance will be the same.

You'll get the lowest common denominator in terms of timings and speeds.

I see this comment (or a variant of it) posted quite often and I think its a
bit misleading.

I think what you really mean is "If you choose the 'by spd' memory setting,
then you'll get the lowest common denominator in terms of timings and
speeds."

Of course if you set the timings manually, you'll get whatever timings you
set.

Chip

Old April 20th 04, 09:16 AM
Chip

"Chip" wrote in message

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
Steven Kuok wrote:
i want to use 2 512mb stick on my dual channel motherboard.(1 from

crucial
and 1 from kingston). I want to know if they will perform better or

worse
than if i use 2 memory from the same maker?

Yes you can, the performance will be the same.

You'll get the lowest common denominator in terms of timings and speeds.

I see this comment (or a variant of it) posted quite often and I think its

bit misleading.

I think what you really mean is "If you choose the 'by spd' memory

setting,
then you'll get the lowest common denominator in terms of timings and
speeds."

Of course if you set the timings manually, you'll get whatever timings you
set.

Chip

I should add:

I have 2 x 512 sticks running in dual channel. The SPD in one of them says
Cas2 at upto 217MHz. And the other says Cas2.5 at up to 200MHz.

I run them both at 235MHz Cas2 in dual channel. Enough said.

Chip

Old April 20th 04, 07:59 PM
Ben Pope

Chip wrote:
"Ben Pope" wrote in message
You'll get the lowest common denominator in terms of timings and speeds.

I see this comment (or a variant of it) posted quite often and I think
its a bit misleading.

It's my standard response to question.

I think what you really mean is "If you choose the 'by spd' memory
setting, then you'll get the lowest common denominator in terms of
timings and speeds."

Of course if you set the timings manually, you'll get whatever timings you
set.

My point is that you cannot set one DIMM to run faster than the other chip
will run. Both chips must use the same timings.

Of course you can set the timings manually, but that will apply to each DIMM
individually also.

Ben

Old April 20th 04, 08:00 PM
Ben Pope

Chip wrote:
I should add:

I have 2 x 512 sticks running in dual channel. The SPD in one of them
says Cas2 at upto 217MHz. And the other says Cas2.5 at up to 200MHz.

I run them both at 235MHz Cas2 in dual channel. Enough said.

Well either the SPD is wrong in the second chip, or it's extremely
under-rated RAM.

Ben

Old April 21st 04, 10:15 AM
Chip

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
Chip wrote:
I should add:

I have 2 x 512 sticks running in dual channel. The SPD in one of them
says Cas2 at upto 217MHz. And the other says Cas2.5 at up to 200MHz.

I run them both at 235MHz Cas2 in dual channel. Enough said.

Well either the SPD is wrong in the second chip, or it's extremely
under-rated RAM.

I am sure the SPD is wrong.

Chip

Ben