New homebuilt PC is really nice

Old August 25th 06, 12:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
johns

Default New homebuilt PC is really nice

It kicks butt !!! Everything is working at top speed,
and all my apps and games look great .. esp the
games. I never saw them look this good before.
I'm going through Men Of Valor: Vietnam right now,
and the game is actually behaving itself. The level
of respawning is minimized, and the levels actually
end in a reasonable time. I got throught the under
ground bunker in one try, because the Cong can't
shoot through walls now. Tree cover is actually
cover, and I can lean and snipe, and survive the
impossible shots coming from nowhere. I also
went through Far Cry with my new Wide Screen
monitor, and I conclude ... :-) .... everybody should
go out right now and buy a wide screen monitor
for pc gaming. I'm using an ATI Theater Pro 550
pci-e X1 tv-tuner. Once I figured out the color
settings, it gives excellent TV viewing. I especially
like the TV-Preview page which will give me thumbs
of all 64 channels detected, so that I can actually
see what shows are on. That is a nice touch. Also,
the X1 pci-e bandwidth has cured the audio-video
sync problems I see with ALL the pci tv-tuners.
Finally, the system is whisper quiet. I'm using
Zalman and Artic fans-heatsinks, and temps are
low and stable.

case Antec SLK1650B with TruePower 480
mobo GA-K8NF-9 bundle with AMD Athlon 3700
and Kingston ddr400 ... 2 gigs
video BFG GF7900 GTO
Viewsonic VX2025W
DVD/rw ... Sony
HD ... Hitachi SATA 160 ( 2 of them )
Modem is INTEL .. a $35 one .. quiet and works
backup 160 gig Maxtor IDE USB external
floppy Mitsumi with card readers
keybd-mouse Microsoft Internet .. clean and simple
mouse is small .. good game mouse.
Flight ... Logitech Wingman3d .. autodetects in
every game, so no setup
AV and Firewall ... McAfee Suite .. very smart.
Rootkit ... Window Washer .. smashes the hidden
areas and does not ask questions
Scanner and printer .. I told XP to go on safari and
get drivers and apps, and just walked away.
Came back and everything was ready to go.
Apps: switched from OfficeXP to 2003. I really
like the Photo app tools. I can do anything with
my jpgs.
Engineering CAD apps ... look great on that wide
monitor. Very sharp fonts .. easy to read.

Only problem: My old system is working so well
that I had to set up the new one in the spare bed
room .. Hers ... and His :-)

johns

Old August 25th 06, 01:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

"johns" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I noticed it was HERS before HIS........................

Old August 25th 06, 03:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
sbb78247

JAD wrote:
"johns" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

pussy whipped, eh?

Old August 25th 06, 04:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
ToolPackinMama

johns wrote:
It kicks butt !!! Everything is working at top speed,
and all my apps and games look great .. esp the
games.

Congratulations!
Old August 25th 06, 04:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

johns,

What kind of screen are you using? I purchased a dell 32 inch screen
and connected it to my comp and it was almost to big. My grapics card
doesn't do the tv honors.

Holyhalokingdom u305617

these are some games i play.

Old August 25th 06, 08:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
johns

The 7900 allows custom settings, so I took a calculator
and reduced the 1680 x 1050 to 80% of that, and
entered it as a custom setting. That way, I get better
readability in fonts. That is the nice thing about the
7900. I can "dial in" settings that I need, and tell
the games to use desktop default. I don't know what
I would do with a 32 inch Dell monitor. That sounds
like a whole new challenge. I know that the Dell
9150 went to the 7900. I have 2 of them at work.
I imagine the 7900 has the ability to handle picture
in picture, or other amazing wonders that a 32 incher
needs ... That Dell 32 cost more than my computer.

johns