After using DirectCD, CD drive doesn't see UDF or ISO9660 discs

Old February 26th 06, 03:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default After using DirectCD, CD drive doesn't see UDF or ISO9660 discs

I was using DirectCD fine for one day (first time using it). Now the
CD (ejected using "leaving as is") is not being seen by the Windows
file explorer nor by the command line window, even after refreshing
the view with F5 in the windows file explorer. I tried this first
upon login. I then ejected the disc manually and popped it back
in. Same thing. I launched DirectCD. The icon shows on the system
tray. Same problem, though. I pop out the CD and push it back in.
Same problem. I click on DirectCD and the format utility pops up.
Same problem.

I'm using CD-RW. I've already done a lengthy search for auto-insert
notification and tried to ensure that it was turned on via various
methods on the web. For example, I turned on autorun data dicss using
TweakUI under the administrator account. Following
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article03-018, I also used
gpedit.msc to disable
Computer_Configuration-Administrative_Template-System-Disable-Autoplay.
Finally, I used administrator to see that
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdrom\Autorun=0.
I didn't change it because I don't necessarily want autorun to happen
by default. Besides,
http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~djf22/difference.htm says that autorun
differs from AIN. In the same registry folder, I also saw
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdrom\AutoRunAlwaysDisable,
which I didn't touch. It had some complicated value spanning many
bytes. From googling, it looks like they are drive names.

Thanks for any suggestions in getting my CD drive back again. It doesn't
even recognize ISO9660 discs anymore (multisession, not written using
DirectCD). Note that I used task manager to confirm that DirectCD
wasn't running prior to my launching it. So I don't think it was
directly interfering with my use of the CD drive.
Old February 26th 06, 04:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Dubious Dude wrote:
[...]

Actually, the problem described seems to happen on and off, especially if
I change accounts (same PC). The irresponsiveness of the drive to the disc
can often be dispelled by (1) ensuring that DirectCD is running, and (2)
right clicking on the drive to bring up the context menu. I don't even
have to choose an action from the menu, that very act seems to get the
Windows file explorer to refresh even when F5 doesn't.
Old February 26th 06, 06:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Try this
Hightlight your cd writer drive
Click properties if in explorer and
go to DirectCD Options tab and
chech the options.

Old February 27th 06, 03:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

AAH wrote:
Try this
Hightlight your cd writer drive
Click properties if in explorer and
go to DirectCD Options tab and
chech the options.

Interesting panel. All the options are checked off, though.
They consist of:

* Show the CD Ready Notification
* Show the Ejected CD Notification
* Show Icon In System Tray

The remaining lower portion of this panel consists of CD-R
Eject Options, and it is all grayed out. This makes sense,
since I am not using CD-R (I am using CD-RW).

As I mentioned this thread's second post, I found that simply
right-clicking the CD drive causes it to recognize the disc
within it. Strange, but it works.

Thanks.

Old February 27th 06, 08:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Dubious Dude wrote:
AAH wrote:
Try this
Hightlight your cd writer drive
Click properties if in explorer and
go to DirectCD Options tab and
chech the options.

Interesting panel. All the options are checked off, though.
They consist of:

* Show the CD Ready Notification
* Show the Ejected CD Notification
* Show Icon In System Tray

The remaining lower portion of this panel consists of CD-R
Eject Options, and it is all grayed out. This makes sense,
since I am not using CD-R (I am using CD-RW).

As I mentioned this thread's second post, I found that simply
right-clicking the CD drive causes it to recognize the disc
within it. Strange, but it works.

Thanks.

Looks like I spoke too soon. All the content of the UDF disc
suddenly disappeared. This happened when I used DirectCD to
eject the disk so as to flush the write buffers, then put it
back in. In the place of my files are files autorun.inf,
udfrinst.zl, and udfrchk.exe.

With a pretty important deadline looming, I guess that I won't
troubleshooting nor using this very much.

Old February 27th 06, 09:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Dubious Dude wrote:
Dubious Dude wrote:
AAH wrote:
[...]

Just to be sure, I reformatted the disc and tried hierarchical
copying the stuff I wanted to backup. No luck. Back to multisession
ISO9660. Ug.

Old February 28th 06, 06:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Dubious Dude wrote:

Looks like I spoke too soon. All the content of the UDF disc
suddenly disappeared. This happened when I used DirectCD to
eject the disk so as to flush the write buffers, then put it
back in. In the place of my files are files autorun.inf,
udfrinst.zl, and udfrchk.exe.

Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****) crapped (8/16/03):

I use Roxio CD Creator 5 to create a
windows drag & drop style data disk saving the data to a CDRW.

I copy / paste files filling up all but 12MB on that CDRW.
Nice I thought! I deleted the files on my C drive thinking
all were safely backed up as I DID see the directory at the
time of making. Now that I placed the CDRW back into the
drive, it asked me if I want to install UDF Reader which is
needed to read a multithread disk.

Now, it took about 2 mins for the drive to read the CDRW and
came up with only 2 files; UDF Reader about 435kb and an .inf
file about 1kb.

You have chosen the least reliable and most fragile format
available for CD writing - fixed-length packets.

Why are you blaming the bug on the 'format' when the udf reader
install feature is not even in the UDF standard?

Why did you not blame the bug on the 'format' here, Mikey?

======================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio ****)
Date: 12/3/01
Subject: autorun and udfrinst

Packet formatted ... CDRW now seems to be Joliet
with "autorun.inf" and "udfrinst.exe". Can't see any of the
packet data that used to be there.

If you see those files, your system no longer recognizes the
UDF session. That could be a fault on the disc or in something
you did to remove UDF recognition.

If you have DCD working on the system, then the disc is faulty.

If you have no UDF read capability on the system now, then
you can run udfinst.exe to install a reader.
======================

Installing the reader is not OK - you already have its
functionality in DCD, which you used to create the disc.

You are one confused fella, Mikey. See your (12/3/01) post above.

The fact that you are asked means that the disc was not
recognized correctly. The first, mastered session contains the
reader and should not be seen if the second session - the one
written in packets - is recognized. So you immediately had
notice that the data were not readable because the session was
not readable.

Does that explain WHY that happened, Mikey?

How about explaining WHY that happened, Mikey?

Whether the erasable blank is worth saving is up to you. You can
do a full erase (use Superblank if needed), but if the disc is
poorly matched to your drive - and you identify neither drive nor
medium - then it will remain unreliable.

Bet that the bug was caused by the OP not having identified
the drive and the medium, isn't that right, Mikey?

-------------------------------
Wow! What a slimy friggin SOB!
-------------------------------

Mikey, you are the Slimiest Friggin SOB!
Old February 28th 06, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Dubious Dude wrote:

Looks like I spoke too soon. All the content of the UDF disc
suddenly disappeared.

This happened when I used DirectCD to eject the disk so as
to flush the write buffers, then put it back in.

In the place of my files are files autorun.inf,
udfrinst.zl, and udfrchk.exe.

Congratulations: you have now discovered for yourself why few
people use that format for anything but test.

I use erasable media only for test; they tend to be forgetful.

However, written in packets they're worse than merely unreliable
for some files; they are likely to cost you the whole disc.

The issue is not the software but the format.

For Take Two to work IDEALLY , your drive must support
packet writing and you must have DCD installed...to do it.
There is no separate DCD product any longer;
it was integrated with ECDC when TakeTwo made that necessary.
You may back up...to a DCD-formatted erasable.

(Give you one guess who spewed the above.)