Convert DVD to CD? (large .cab file)

Old January 7th 06, 04:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Convert DVD to CD? (large .cab file)

I just received an update for my GPS maps. The original maps were
supplied on several CDs, but the update is a single DVD.

The license allows me to install the maps on as many computers as I wish
since they can only be downloaded to my registered GPS unit - but one of
the computers I wish to use with my GPS is a couple of hundred miles
away and it does not have a DVD drive - so I'd like to convert the DVD
to several burned CDs for installation on the remote computer.

One of the files on the DVD is a large .cab file that will not fit on a
CD. I could extract it and rebuild it into spanned .cab files, but I'm
not sure if the installation program would understand spanned .cab files.

Is there a documented way to do this, or do I have to experiment to see
how the installer reacts?

TIA

Sunny
Old January 8th 06, 08:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Sunny wrote:

I just received an update for my GPS maps. The original maps were
supplied on several CDs, but the update is a single DVD.

The license allows me to install the maps on as many computers as I wish
since they can only be downloaded to my registered GPS unit - but one of
the computers I wish to use with my GPS is a couple of hundred miles
away and it does not have a DVD drive - so I'd like to convert the DVD
to several burned CDs for installation on the remote computer.

One of the files on the DVD is a large .cab file that will not fit on a
CD. I could extract it and rebuild it into spanned .cab files, but I'm
not sure if the installation program would understand spanned .cab files.

Is there a documented way to do this, or do I have to experiment to see
how the installer reacts?

TIA

Sunny

Nada, so I'll post my update...

I've been using Roxio v6 for some time, but until today wasn't aware it
supported burning large projects to multiple CDs, splitting files if
required, even adds a re-assembly executable to each disk - so I tried it.

The maps fit on 2 CDs with 46MB free according to Roxio 6, and I burned
them to two Verbatim discs off a 100-disc spindle I've been using for
some time with excellent results.

The discs burned without error, but when I try to restore the retrieval
program reports an error on the large .cab file and fails to read it -
tried on several systems including the drive that burned the discs, same
result.

Does Roxio 6 file splitting/reassembly actually work?
Old January 8th 06, 09:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

.. -------------------------------------------
how HUGE are your BALLS, Adrian Miller?
Only a trashy company like Roxio or Adaptec
let loosed in Usenet this utter trash
Deirdre Straughan (Roxio) is a LIAR
-----------------------------------
Mike Richter is a LIAR
----------------------

Sunny wrote:
Sunny wrote:

[...]

Perhaps get a clue from this?

======================================
From: "Terry Vacha"
Date: 5/23/04
Subject: spanning does not burn 1st CD

I'm using Creator Classic which is part of the Roxio Easy CD & DVD
Creator 6 package.

When I back up files with Roxio software, basic version, it often
indicates that the project will require 3 or 4 CDs. When I start
the burn to CD, after the first CD is burned, a notice comes up on
the screen saying that the second CD has been burned correctly.
After two CDs are burned, the 3 CD project is considered finished
by Roxio. Sure enough, it never burned the first CD. I've done
this several times and several different ways including
reinstalling Roxio software. I have also downloaded all of the
upgrades allowable with my "basic" version. What is going on
here?? Do I have some "preference" incorrectly set?
======================================
Old January 8th 06, 01:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Sunny wrote:

Sunny wrote:

[...]

I think what may be best for you is to copy the file to your hard drive
and use something like Winzip to zip the file and burn it to multiple
CDs. I believe the latest version will allow you to do this. Cost for
this is minimal at $29.95, supposedly for any future releases.
Old January 8th 06, 02:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Marlin Singer wrote:
Sunny wrote:

clipped

I think what may be best for you is to copy the file to your hard drive
and use something like Winzip to zip the file and burn it to multiple
CDs. I believe the latest version will allow you to do this. Cost for
this is minimal at $29.95, supposedly for any future releases.

Forgot to answer your original. I'm not sure if that old a version
allows the spanning. I just created a 2gb zip file with PowerArchiver,
and it allows you to split the files into whatever media you are trying
to write to. In this case it created 3 650mb files + another with the
remainder. You would need to install either the WinZip or Powerarchiver
to both machines, or when you create your zip, you create a self
extracting EXE file that will extract all your files automatically.

WinZip - www.winzip.com
PowerArchiver - www.powerarchiver.com

You can use these on a trial basis, but I am not sure you get full
functionality with the trial.
Old January 8th 06, 02:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

This little freeware thing:
http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/#win32
works well. I've done exactly what you're attempting with it several times.

From: "Terry Vacha"
Date: 5/23/04

I'm using Creator Classic which is part of the Roxio Easy CD & DVD
Creator 6 package.

When I back up files with Roxio software, basic version, it often
indicates that the project will require 3 or 4 CDs. When I start
the burn to CD, after the first CD is burned, a notice comes up on
the screen saying that the second CD has been burned correctly.
After two CDs are burned, the 3 CD project is considered finished
by Roxio. Sure enough, it never burned the first CD. I've done
this several times and several different ways including
reinstalling Roxio software. I have also downloaded all of the
upgrades allowable with my "basic" version. What is going on
here?? Do I have some "preference" incorrectly set?
======================================

Nope, no clues there. It burned both CDs.

I copied both CDs to hard disc and reassembled the large .cab file using
copy /b. The resulting file was identical to the original, and the maps
install just fine from it.

Conclusion: Roxio 6.1.1.48 file splitting works, but reassembly is
broken and has to be done manually.

Sunny
Old January 8th 06, 09:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

....or the installer won't work with cab's spanning multiple disks:
perhaps indicated in advance via the way it's newly marketed as one
disc, so the included installer didn't need programming to accommodate
that like the original multi-disk set... There is no indication yet
that Roxio is broken in this case.

Tim K

Old January 9th 06, 02:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

As I said in a previous post (which you snipped):

The discs burned without error, but when I try to restore the
retrieval program reports an error on the large .cab file and fails
to read it - tried on several systems including the drive that burned
the discs, same result.

Note I said "the retrieval program reports an error". I did not say "the
installer reports an error"

In other words, Roxio's retrieval program fails to re-assemble the
spanned cab file, but the file is usable when re-assembled by hand -
i.e. Roxio's retrieval program is broken.

Sunny

Tim K

Date: 5/23/04 Subject: spanning does not burn 1st CD

[...]

my dvd burner keeps having problems nullboy Cdr 3 September 9th 05 01:46 AM
DVD Burner Help..... BigJim Homebuilt PC's 6 August 2nd 05 06:29 AM
Is My Burner Broken? ggroups2 General 3 August 12th 04 03:54 AM
Nero and dvd-r failure Blair Wilson Cdr 1 February 5th 04 08:23 AM
Can't get CD Burner to Burn Nottoman General 2 December 22nd 03 06:47 PM