Copying program from multiple floppies

Old January 3rd 06, 03:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Copying program from multiple floppies

Win98SE

The floppy drive on my computer just crapped out just past warranty and I
don't want to be without it right now. My wife has a floppy drive and a
CD/DVD burner.

Is there a way to copy a single program, that covers several floppies, to
a CDR so the program may be saved and/or installed on a computer?

Thanks,
Don.

Old January 3rd 06, 05:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Don. wrote:
Win98SE

The floppy drive on my computer just crapped out just past warranty and
I don't want to be without it right now. My wife has a floppy drive and
a CD/DVD burner.

Is there a way to copy a single program, that covers several floppies,
to a CDR so the program may be saved and/or installed on a computer?

Thanks,
Don.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Some programs may just be dumped from several floppies onto the root of
a CD-ROM and install. Others will work if you put each floppy into a
separate directory on the CD-ROM. Still others won't work unless you
make a separate CD-ROM for each floppy. It depends on things like a file
with the ID of the floppy.

One simple indicator: if each floppy has a small file named FILEID.TXT
(or something similar) and each file's text is unique ("This is disc 4"
sort of thing), then at best you'll have to make a separate directory
for each disc. Since many legacy programs only install from the root of
the disc, odds are that such a pattern means one CD-ROM per floppy.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/
Old January 3rd 06, 10:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Another choice would be a USB floppy drive -costs @ $40.

Old January 4th 06, 05:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

"Don." ) writes:
Win98SE

The floppy drive on my computer just crapped out just past warranty and I
don't want to be without it right now. My wife has a floppy drive and a
CD/DVD burner.

Is there a way to copy a single program, that covers several floppies, to
a CDR so the program may be saved and/or installed on a computer?

Thanks,
Don.

I don't know if it will work, but I'm busy archiving my floppies to a
thumb drive (assuming you wife's computer supports same). You could save
all to one folder and also give each floppy it's own folder in case they
have to be addressed sererately.

Brendan