DVD+R vs. DVD-R

Old December 26th 05, 10:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default DVD+R vs. DVD-R

Is DVD+R better than DVD-R and if not why not?

I'm asking because there are certain economic advantages to go with
the +R but I don't have a clear picture of the pros and cons.

Thanks for any help .

Jack

Old December 26th 05, 10:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

"J. Yazel" wrote:

Is DVD+R better than DVD-R and if not why not?

I'm asking because there are certain economic advantages to go with
the +R but I don't have a clear picture of the pros and cons.

Thanks for any help .

Jack

As the -r is an older version it is supposedly more likely to be
compatible with other machines. I think +r come in faster speeds but
I'm sure someone will correct me if not

--
Paul (We're too young to fall asleep)
Stop and Look
Old December 27th 05, 12:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Mikey, whatever happened to "quirky", "anomalous" or "trickier"?

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

(No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL)
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )
'

"J. Yazel" (Pipsqueak) squeaked:

Is DVD+R better than DVD-R and if not why not?

I'm asking because there are certain economic advantages to go with
the +R but I don't have a clear picture of the pros and cons.

According to Mike Richter, the slimiest friggin SOB, DVD+R is trickier
for both DVD-Video and DVD-ROM:

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB)
Date: 9/2/04
Subject: DVD-R vs DVD+R

My own experience is limited, but FWIW
- assuming you mean DVD-Video:

DVD+R is a bit trickier

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin ****)
Date: 10/21/04

DVD-ROM is a bit trickier on the + media.
=========================

Whatever happened to "quirky", "anomalous" or "trickier"?

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin ****) crapped (8/22/05):

For DVD-ROM, the minus formats are a little better; there's a flag to be
set on the plus media to provide readability across all drives.

I've found that there is a slight advantage in DVD-Video to -R in the
U.S. and to +R in Europe; I've too few data to judge in the rest of the
world

(Any data in the Universe, Mikey?)

Mikey, whatever happened to "quirky", "anomalous" or "trickier"?

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB) splattered (5/1/05):

Briefly, you may regard +R and -R as equivalent. At this point,
dual-layer is available on on +R; -R is more likely to be compatible
(especially for DVD-ROM, but also for DVD-Video) with different readers
in the U.S.

(My experience is that +R is somewhat more likely to be
compatible with European drives, but that may be an effect of the
historic role of Philips there.)

Impressed with the tidbit about the "European" stuff.

But whatever happened to "quirky", "anomalous" or "trickier"?

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB) crapped (2/17/05):

Which one should I buy when my drive can read and write both?
Compatibility, durability, speed in writing, which one is better
for my drive?

in my experience (which is limited),
+R is more likely to work in Europe.

Impressed with the tidbit about the "European" stuff.

But whatever happened to "quirky", "anomalous" or "trickier"?

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB) barfed (2/12/05):

Which one should I buy when my drive can read and write both?
Compatibility, durability, speed in writing, which one is
better for my drive?

+ is slightly more quirky

Is it now "quirky"?
Whatever happened to "anomalous" or "trickier"?

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB) screeched (12/30/04):

DVD-ROM on + media can be anomalous

Is it now "anomalous"?
Whatever happened to "trickier"?

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin ****) splattered (10/21/04):

DVD-ROM is a bit trickier on the + media.

Sounds like you have extensive experience in DVD burning.

What do you mean by "trickier"?

Did burning to the + media require you to use a needle,
a magnifying glass and a cigarette lighter?

'
-------------------------------
Wow! What a slimy friggin SOB!
-------------------------------

Mikey, you are the Slimiest Friggin SOB!
Old December 27th 05, 02:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 22:45:02 GMT, Paul Heslop
wrote:

"J. Yazel" wrote:

Is DVD+R better than DVD-R and if not why not?

I'm asking because there are certain economic advantages to go with
the +R but I don't have a clear picture of the pros and cons.

Thanks for any help .

Jack

As the -r is an older version it is supposedly more likely to be
compatible with other machines. I think +r come in faster speeds but
I'm sure someone will correct me if not

===================

Thanks for the response.

Jack

Old December 27th 05, 04:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

"J. Yazel" wrote:

Is DVD+R better than DVD-R and if not why not?

I'm asking because there are certain economic advantages to go with
the +R but I don't have a clear picture of the pros and cons.

Many DVD burners have "bitsetting" capability. With such burners, DVD+R
can be set to DVD-ROM "book type", that is, players think the disc is
DVD-ROM.

Mike Richter, the slimiest friggin SOB, calls the bitsetting operation
as "quirky", "anomalous" or "trickier" as if you have to burn it with a
cigarette lighter, a magnifying glass and a needle. (Nero does it
automatically by default.)
'

Who Is Mike Richter and
Why Are They Saying All These Horrible Things About Him?
http://tinyurl.com/8qzc5

(No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the following is)
(a LIBEL -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes!!)

Mikey, whatever happened to "quirky", "anomalous" or "trickier"?

Mike Richter, Is the Sky Falling?
Mike Richter is a LIAR (chicken little)(ii)

Mike Richter: CD-R FAQ Conflicts with References
Mike Richter: CD-R FAQ makes a Common Mistake
Mike Richter: CD-R FAQ has Significant Errors

Mike Richter & Half-Baked Research (Mixed-Mode)(i)
Mike Richter & Half-Baked Research (Mixed-Mode)(ii)
Mike Richter & Half-Baked Research (Mixed-Mode)(iii)
Mike Richter & Half-Baked Research (Enhanced CD)
Mike Richter & Half-Baked Research (CD Extra)(i)
Mike Richter & Half-Baked Research (CD Extra)(ii)
Mike Richter & Half-Baked Research (CD Extra)(iii)
Mike Richter & Half-Baked Research (CD Extra - SAO/TAO ?)

Mikey, whatever happened to "quirky", "anomalous" or "trickier"?

Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(only dao)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(yes/no)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(viii)

Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on C1/C2 Errors

Mike Richter's Gibberish on C1/C2 Errors (i)
Mike Richter's Gibberish on C1/C2 Errors (i)(b)
Mike Richter's Gibberish on C1/C2 Errors (i)(c)
Mike Richter's Gibberish on C1/C2 Errors (i)(d)
Mike Richter's Gibberish on C1/C2 Errors (i)(e)
Mike Richter's Gibberish on C1/C2 Errors (ii)(01/05)
Mike Richter's Gibberish on C1/C2 Errors (ii)(09-01)
Mike Richter's Gibberish on C1/C2 Errors (ii)(10-04)
Mike Richter's Gibberish on C1/C2 Errors (ii)(12-00)

Mikey, do you ever see any C1 errors with CDSpeed on your machines?

Mike Richter, where's the Beef (Error Rates)?
Mike Richter, where's the Beef (Error Rates)? (ii)
Mike Richter, where's the Beef (Error Rates)? (07-02)

Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (01-04)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (01-05)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (03-04)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (04-03)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (05-03)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (06-02)(i)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (06-02)(ii)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (06-03)(i)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (06-03)(ii)
Mikey Richter, Digging C1 errors out of Assholes? (07-02)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (07-03)(i)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (07-03)(ii)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (07-03)(iii)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (08-02)(i)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (08-02)(ii)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (09-02)(i)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (09-02)(ii)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (09-02)(iii)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (09-02)(iv)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (09-04)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (10-02)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (10-04)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (10-05)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (12-03)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (Feurio)

Mikey, still digging C1 errors out of assholes? (07-02)(cdrw)
Mikey, still digging C1 errors out of assholes? (09-02)(cdrw)
Mikey, still digging C1 errors out of assholes? (10-02)(cdrw)

Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Packet Writing Format
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Packet Writing (ditch)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Packet Writing (lethal)

Mike Richter's Slimy Words on Packet Writing Format

Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD-RW Media (i)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD-RW Media (ii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD-RW Media (iii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD-RW Media (4x)(06-02)(i)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD-RW Media (4x)(06-02)(ii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD-RW Media (4x)(Camper)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD-RW Media (4x)(i)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD-RW Media (4x)(ii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD-RW Media (4x)(iii)

Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD Extra (SAO/TAO)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD Extra (single/multi)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Enhanced CD (half-baked)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Enhanced CD (cRoxio ****)

Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on "udf-iso"

Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (half-baked)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (silent)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (mislead)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (conflict)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (summary)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (Wow!)

Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (asshole)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (error)(i)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (error)(ii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (single-multi)(i)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (single-multi)(ii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (audio)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (latrine)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (crap)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (baby food)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (caught)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (references)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (Sphincter)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (elementary)(i)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (elementary)(ii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (elementary)(iii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (elementary)(iv)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (value)(i)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (value)(ii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (value)(iii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (DAO)

Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (ezcd/tao/dao)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (only dao)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (multi-GB)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (Ezcd-No)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (yes-no)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (pioneer)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (Nero)

Mike Richter & Asshole Digging
Mike Richter & Asshole Digging (DVD error rates)
Mike Richter & Asshole Digging (professional)

(To be continued)
Old December 27th 05, 05:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

J. Yazel wrote:
Is DVD+R better than DVD-R and if not why not?

I'm asking because there are certain economic advantages to go with
the +R but I don't have a clear picture of the pros and cons.

Thanks for any help .

Jack

While most modern drives will read +R and -R equally well, I've found
that European systems are more likely to be happy with +R, American ones
with -R. (I have too few data from other areas to generalize.) For most
purposes, they are equivalent but it may be relevant that most true
premium media on the market are -R.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old December 27th 05, 03:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Drew wrote:
Is all the information about -R carry over for -RW?

The only carryover is that +RW and -RW are functionally equivalent for
most users. Neither is to be trusted for extended storage. They have
proved so far to be as unreliable if not quite as fragile as CD-RW.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old December 27th 05, 06:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Mike Richter wrote:
Drew wrote:
Is all the information about -R carry over for -RW?

The only carryover is that +RW and -RW are functionally equivalent for
most users. Neither is to be trusted for extended storage. They have
proved so far to be as unreliable if not quite as fragile as CD-RW.

Mike

of course this info you wrote would go for those who use DVD's for video,
played back on stand-alone players, while for data purposes and playing on
PC's, i suppose + or - doesn't really matter....
right ?or wrong?

--
Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com