Duplicating files on another hard drive

Old September 7th 05, 04:10 PM

Default Duplicating files on another hard drive

I have 2 hard drives--the main one and the backup. My music is stored on a
large file on my main HD (about 50GB). This file changes frequently as I
add and subtract music. What I would like to do is arrange so that the file
on the back up HD tracks the main one; every time I change the main file, it
automatically changes the one on the backup HD, so that they always remain
identical. Currently, I simply wait for about 6 months, then erase the
backup HD and copy the file from the main HD. Trouble is, I don't know when
the main drive is going to fail, so my backup files increasingly differ from
the main file as time goes on.

What can I do to make the back up HD track the main HD file continuously?

Thanks,

Norm Strong

Old September 7th 05, 07:17 PM
Dan

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 08:10:15 -0700, wrote:

What can I do to make the back up HD track the main HD file continuously?

Look into some freeware folder-synchronizing utilities.

A couple of good freeware collections are SnapFiles, FreewareHome, or
All4You.

Also, I use (freeware) Cobian Backup with built-in automatic
scheduling. I think it can do what I believe you want.

Enjoy!
Dan
Old September 8th 05, 07:05 AM
Joe Rom King

Just replicating may not be good enough, as any problem developed on
the source files duplicates to the replicated drive.

Look at DataMills Relative Rev Backup, a program that will managed
multiple backup versions that goes days and weeks back, so you have
enough time to recognize that a problem has developed, and yet have a
backup copy that is free from that problem. Do not worry about the
backup space; every backup version consumes the space that equals to
the change from the previous one.

http://www.datamills.com

Joe

Old September 9th 05, 03:28 PM
Trev

wrote in message
I have 2 hard drives--the main one and the backup. My music is stored on a
large file on my main HD (about 50GB). This file changes frequently as I
add and subtract music. What I would like to do is arrange so that the
file on the back up HD tracks the main one; every time I change the main
file, it automatically changes the one on the backup HD, so that they
always remain identical. Currently, I simply wait for about 6 months, then
erase the backup HD and copy the file from the main HD. Trouble is, I
don't know when the main drive is going to fail, so my backup files
increasingly differ from the main file as time goes on.

What can I do to make the back up HD track the main HD file continuously?

Thanks,

Norm Strong

Micky Soft have a new Power toy "Sync" for that you might like to look at
http://snipurl.com/hjyu

Old September 9th 05, 07:04 PM
Bond

Mike seems to be a lot brighter than you dickwad.
Karen Kenworthy's "Replicator" does NOT synchronize two Directorys.
SMH is incorrect.
You specifically asked for a program that will track when you "add and
subtract music"
Karen's Replicator will NOT do that. It only accounts for any files
added, not taken away.

What you want is a program that will synchronize two directorys, when
adding and deleting files.
This will do it:

http://www.alwaysync.com/

Hey SMH, you are a real idiot eh?
Vomitiing all over people becuase you feel they make a mistake, then
you go ahead and make a real moron of a mistake.
Don't give out advice if you do not know what you are talking about.
You now have NO credibility.

*Plonk*

Bond.

. --------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

wrote:

I have 2 hard drives--the main one and the backup. My music is stored on a
large file on my main HD (about 50GB). This file changes frequently as I
add and subtract music. What I would like to do is arrange so that the file
on the back up HD tracks the main one; every time I change the main file, it
automatically changes the one on the backup HD, so that they always remain
identical. Currently, I simply wait for about 6 months, then erase the
backup HD and copy the file from the main HD. Trouble is, I don't know when
the main drive is going to fail, so my backup files increasingly differ from
the main file as time goes on.

What can I do to make the back up HD track the main HD file continuously?

Check out Karen Kenworthy's "Replicator":
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

Old September 9th 05, 07:19 PM
Bond

Hi,

Don't listen to SMH, he is a dickwad, and a bully to boot.
Karen Kenworthy's "Replicator" does NOT synchronize two Directorys.
SMH is incorrect.
You specifically asked for a program that will track when you "add and
subtract music"
Karen's Replicator will NOT do that. It only accounts for any files
added, not taken away.

What you want is a program that will synchronize two directorys, when
adding and deleting files.
Here is something that might help you.
Good luck.

Old September 9th 05, 07:22 PM
Bond

Thanks Joe,

I never thought of that.
The program looks pretty neat.
How does it do with large directorys?
180 gig and above?

Bond.

Old September 9th 05, 08:33 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL)
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

Bond (Mikey S-licker) screamed:

snip screaming

Stop that screaming, sicko!
Are you coming, sicko?

Did you get ectatic with this Mikey's spew?

Mike Richter, where's the Beef (Error Rates)?

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Frggin Asshole)
Date: 11/2/01

Brendan R. Wehrung (Schmuck) squeaked:

the 200 pack Prime Paripherals blanks...wasn't bad.

Obviously, YMMV, but after I got my rebate and the discs were
essentially free, I determined that they're not worth the price.

Given the high error rates those discs delivered on each of my drives

They are marginal if you burn no more than 60 minutes per disc

- or if you just don't care about the error rates.
======================

Did you indeed get high error rates with your drives, not dug out of
your assholes?

And Mikey cares about the error rates! But see below.

======================
From: RK
Date: 11/3/01

Just wondering if something is wrong with your burner as i have
burned over 400 of them and they are one of the best disks i ever
used so far. Never had a single error on even one disk
======================
======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Frggin Asshole)
Date: 11/3/01

There are three burners on which I've tried them with equivalent
results. All are Plextor SCSI and all deliver excellent results on
good media: 1210, 820 and 412.
======================

There's no way you could have gotten the error rates with those drives.
Why not? Because those drives do not report C1 errors, despite they
are Plextors and SCSI.

Are you sure you did not dig them out of your assholes?

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Frggin Asshole)
Date: 11/3/01

I burned a PP 80 in my Ricoh 6201s at its maximum write speed - 2x.

The result is much the same as it was at higher speeds

and I've posted
the report of a quick scan (sufficient in this case)

The software is CD-R Inspector, big brother to CD-R Diagnostic
======================

Guess you had no choice but to burn at 2x, that being the max speed,
isn't that right, Slimey? But why didn't you use Plextor 1210 and burn
at 12x? After all you were supposed to have gotten the high error rates
with Plextors, not Ricoh.

And much the same result at 2x and 12x? Doesn't it then give one more
reason why you should have posted the result of Plextor 12x?

Maybe this post of yours has something to do with why you used Ricoh 2x
instead of Plextor 12x? Couldn't even get soft/hard errors with Plextor
12x?

----------------------
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB)
Date: 10/9/03

There is an optimum burn speed for any medium in any writer.
In general, a rating for a higher speed is optimized for
higher-speed writers.

For example, 12x media seldom write well below 4x.
----------------------

Did the Quick scan report the error rates? No? Would the Complete scan
have reported the error rates? No? No report of error rates, but
sufficient? Didn't you care about the error rates??!!

Wonder who's the asshole that spewed this?

"if you just don't care about the error rates"

Anyhow, how did you get the error rates when the Plextors did not report
C1 errors and CD-R Inspector/Diagnostic never supported error rates?

Did you dig them out of your assholes?
'
Wow! What a slimy friggin SOB!

Mikey, you are the Slimiest Friggin SOB!