DVD Burner Problem

Old August 29th 05, 03:33 PM
dadiOH

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

I have a feeling that you are on the right track regarding Via
drivers and that I need to somehow remove any Via IDE drivers and
let Win2K SP4 drivers only control the IDE channel.

Before doing that, have you checked your ASPI files? Version 4.6
suggested...

aspichk.exe
http://aspi.radified.com/

forceaspi.exe at the same place if needed.

I am not using SCSI but ATAPI IDE DVD rom drives.

So what? They need ASPI...

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old August 29th 05, 05:01 PM
Margaret Wilson

"Edward Diener No Spam" wrote in
message ink.net...
Margaret Wilson wrote:

You know, I just had another idea. When installing Windows Updates, have
you installed the "update" for HiMat support?

How do I tell ?

If so, uninstall that update. A friend installed it and a few days later
noticed she could no longer burn CDs/DVDs without generating errors.
Once she uninstalled the update, she could burn discs again.

Also, I've not had much luck with Windows XP's disc burning capabilities.

I am on Win2k.

Try disabling the IMAPI service.

What is IMAPI ? I do not see a Service in my list that says IMAPI. Maybe
it has a different name.

You won't need it if you're using third-party software anyway.

For what, burning DVD disks ? I did not know that Win2k had this ability
natively. Do you know where it is ?

OK, my bad. I forgot you're running Win2K, which doesn't have built-in
support for disc burning, so you won't see the IMAPI service. That's
Windows XP's disc-burning service. Here's a description of HighMat:
http://www.highmat.com/whatisit/#benefits

I just checked at the Microsoft Update site, and HighMat appears to be a
Windows XP enhancement. Don't know if it's available for Win2K or not. You
can review your "update history," that is, what updates are installed on
your machine, by going to the Microsoft Update site and looking under
Options (on the left-hand side of the screen). You can select "Review your
update history" from there. You'll see a list of updates that are installed
on your machine.

It's been a looooooooooong time since I ran Win2K, so I don't know if
there's a HighMat update for Win2K. Probably not, since Win2K doesn't
natively support disc burning like Windows XP. If, however, there is a
HighMat update for Win2K, and you've installed it, uninstall it and see if
that makes a difference. Only some drives support HighMat, and my guess is
that my friend's drive didn't, so the update broke disc burning.

Sorry if I've sent you on a wild goose chase here, since I forgot you were
running Win2K..... Still worth checking what updates you have installed
though. :-)

Regards,

Margaret

Old August 29th 05, 06:36 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL)
( )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )
'

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:
smh wrote:
Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

I had never used a DVD Burner before, but decided to by an IDE one from NewEgg.
The DVD is the Samsung TS-H552U OEM version. I installed it on my computer, an
Abit At7, and the BIOS shows it. I booted into Win2k and I can see it in the
Device Manager fine. When I put in a CD or DVD I can read the drive and see the
contents in Explorer. So far, so good. I already checked and I have the latest
firmware for the drive.

I had bought along with the drive Samsung Pleomax DVD-RW 4x DVDs. The drive
specifically states that it supports DVD-RW(4x). I put one of the disks in the
drive and attempt to Burn some files on the DVD. I have never done this before
so assume it should be easy. I tried using two different software programs for
it but one completely hangs and hangs Win2k and the other says it is copy the
image to the DVD but nothing ever happens and the progress bar stays at 0.

snip

The only other possibility that something is wrong is that VIA has a VIA Bus
Master PCI IDE Utility which shows what drives are off of the two IDE channels
of my mobo. When I double-click on this utility in my system tray, no drives are
shown. Maybe this denoted some problem. But like I said, when I look in the BIOS
I can see my drives and Win2k pick them up.

(Missed this one.) This, in addition to Nero InfoTool listing "unknown
adapter", indicates some problem. But what caused it, and what's the
fix? Maybe try Windows driver?

The other possibility is that when I installed this DVD writer I did not remove
my previous DVD-ROM drive because I wanted to make sure this worked first before
I did. Is there a problem having more than one CD/DVD drive under Win2k ? The
software with which I tried to burn the DVD always recognizes the particular
Samsung drive, so I do not think it is getting confused between my DVD drives.

(Don't think the Samsung is defective. Via chipset drivers often cause
problems with optical drives.

That is possible, but I have no problems reading from either drive. Just writing
to the Samsung DVD Writer.

That's a problem, isn't it? I recall a report burning was possible
without error, but the resulting burn gives crc errors when copying to
hard disk. Think that problem was fixed by either installing the latest
Via chipset drivers or replaced with Windows drivers.

I am querying on the Via Arena for my chipset. I saw other posts there,
regarding DVD burner problems, about uninstalling the Via drivers and just using
the Windows drivers, but I want to make sure before I do so and also understand
which drivers I uninstall and how I do so. I do see a "Via Bus Master Ultra ATA
Controller" in Device Manager and I do see a "Via Bus Master Ultra ATA Driver"
listed in the Add/Remove programs applet, but before I uninstall that I want to
make sure it is correct to do so.

Windows drivers are supposed to take over when you reboot after
uninstalling Via drivers.

I did install, very early on, a Via IDE Miniport Driver in order to fix a
problem which Via mentioned regarded my southbridge, the VT8233A, and Iomega ZIP
100/250 drives. I see that Via now says this driver is a legacy driver, but I
could not set under Win2k the recommended PIO Mode 3 for my IOMega Zip/250 drive
( on my secondary IDE channel ) without it, and the drive ran very slow without
that Win2k setting. So I kept it installed.

Find out if you can uninstall the drivers for Iomega.

Try run Nero "Get System Info" (instead of Test Drive which checks
"disc", not drive). Go thru the tabs and see if anything looks
"unusual". Does the Configuration tab show any?

The configuration tab shows the DVD drives but says Unknown Adapter. I do not
know if this means anything.

Unknown adapter? Something's googy here. The Configuration tab
"usually" g lists Pri/Sec IDE Channel and the devices connected to the
channels, with cd drives connected to the Sec and the hard disk to the
Pri. And if Promise adapter card is used for hard disk, for example,
hard disk is listed under that controller and cd drives under Sec
channel - no Pri channel. Could you post the Configuration listing?
Are the dvd drives connected to an adapter controller instead of
motherboard controller?

Does the Drive tab
list the Samsung with "(1:0) ..." string?

The Drive tab lists the Samsung as (0:1). I moved it to be the slave drive off
of my primary IDE controller. The Toshiba is listed as (0:0). It is the master
drive off of may primary IDE controller.

I would install the Samsung as the master. Also are you using 80-wire
cable? IIRC, Via recommended using 80-wire for cd drives.

I have a feeling that you are on the right track regarding Via drivers and that
I need to somehow remove any Via IDE drivers and let Win2K SP4 drivers only
control the IDE channel.

See the comments above.
Old August 30th 05, 01:53 AM
Edward Diener No Spam

. --------------------------------------

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

smh wrote:

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

[...]

After I re-installed the VIA Miniport Driver again, everything showed up OK
again in this utility. But Nero does say "Unknown Adapter" for both my IDE channels.

[...]

I can uninstall the Via driver but I do not know if it is actually doing
anything. In Device Manager, under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, I see:

Primary Ultra DMA Channel
Secondary Ultra DMA Channel
Via Bus Master Ultra ATA Controller

If I swich to View | Devices by Connection, I see my two DVD drives under the
Primary Ultra DMA Channel and my Zip 250 drive under the Secondary Ultra DMA
Channel correctly.

I did install, very early on, a Via IDE Miniport Driver in order to fix a
problem which Via mentioned regarded my southbridge, the VT8233A, and Iomega ZIP
100/250 drives. I see that Via now says this driver is a legacy driver, but I
could not set under Win2k the recommended PIO Mode 3 for my IOMega Zip/250 drive
( on my secondary IDE channel ) without it, and the drive ran very slow without
that Win2k setting. So I kept it installed.

Find out if you can uninstall the drivers for Iomega.

Why should I do that ? It is not the IOMega drivers which caused this problem.
Maybe if I just uninstalled the VIA driver, the Zip 250 drive would work OK
using the Win2k drivers, but the last time I tried it, the Zip 250 drive was
really slow. With the Via Miniport driver I can set PIO Mode for the Zip 240
drive under Win2k to PIO Mode 3. I recall that with the Miniport driver removed
I could set the PIO Mode with the Windows driver, but it did not offer a
specific PIO Mode value.

Try run Nero "Get System Info" (instead of Test Drive which checks
"disc", not drive). Go thru the tabs and see if anything looks
"unusual". Does the Configuration tab show any?

The configuration tab shows the DVD drives but says Unknown Adapter. I do not
know if this means anything.

Unknown adapter? Something's googy here. The Configuration tab
"usually" g lists Pri/Sec IDE Channel and the devices connected to the
channels, with cd drives connected to the Sec and the hard disk to the
Pri. And if Promise adapter card is used for hard disk, for example,
hard disk is listed under that controller and cd drives under Sec
channel - no Pri channel. Could you post the Configuration listing?
Are the dvd drives connected to an adapter controller instead of
motherboard controller?

In the Configuration tab on the bottom, when I choose either of the "Unknown
Adapter" lines, it says "Description: ATAPI IDE Miniport Driver", which means
the Via Miniport Driver. You are saying that if I uninstall this, it should
revert to the Windows driver. OK, I will try.

Does the Drive tab
list the Samsung with "(1:0) ..." string?

The Drive tab lists the Samsung as (0:1). I moved it to be the slave drive off
of my primary IDE controller. The Toshiba is listed as (0:0). It is the master
drive off of may primary IDE controller.

I would install the Samsung as the master. Also are you using 80-wire
cable? IIRC, Via recommended using 80-wire for cd drives.

The cables were sent with my mobo and say that they support up to ATA 133 so I
am sure they are 80-wire.
Old August 30th 05, 02:39 AM
smh

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:
smh wrote:
Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

[...]

Still have Zip drive installed? That's the source of your problem.

I did install, very early on, a Via IDE Miniport Driver in order to fix a
problem which Via mentioned regarded my southbridge, the VT8233A, and Iomega ZIP
100/250 drives. I see that Via now says this driver is a legacy driver, but I
could not set under Win2k the recommended PIO Mode 3 for my IOMega Zip/250 drive
( on my secondary IDE channel ) without it, and the drive ran very slow without
that Win2k setting. So I kept it installed.

Find out if you can uninstall the drivers for Iomega.

Why should I do that ? It is not the IOMega drivers which caused this problem.

The Iomega drivers are the cause of your problem.

Try remove the zip drive in Device Manager and uninstall the iomega
drivers. Power down and disconnect the zip drive and reboot. Most
likely your problem disappears

[...]

If they say support up to ATA 133, then it should be 80-wire.
Old August 30th 05, 01:04 PM
Edward Diener No Spam

. --------------------------------------

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

smh wrote:

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

[...]

You are probably right. I am just curious about what you know about this problem.

Here is what I did. I uninstalled the VIA Miniport Driver I am finally able to
burn DVDs.

One program, the free version of DeepBurner, was able to burn files on the DVD
but then was not able to Eject, even though it said that it did, after which I
could not open my DVD drive. After I rebooted I was able to open the DVD drive
and the files that were burned were on it when I next booted back to Win2k.

The Nero demo version was the worst failure, unable to do practically anything
and full of bugs, like telling me repeatedly that my drive had data and, after I
told it to erase the data, repeating the same thing again ad nauseam without
doing anything. It also hung up in the Lead-Something state forever when burning
some files on the DVD and eventually I was able to kill it, although stopping it
was a PITA. This may be a demo version but it sure does not sound as if Nero is
very good.

Finally I was able to use Paragon ISO Burner to burn files from my hard disk to
a DVD-RW 4X disk successfully and it successfully ejected the disk when it was
finished. I will next try to use it to burn an ISO image.

However my zip drive now no longer works properly. I set the Zip drive to PIO
Mode 1 in the BIOS, as per Via's instructions. Without the Via IDE Miniport
Driver I could not set the PIO Mode in Win2k to PIO Mode 3, as I could through
the Via driver, but I could set it to PIO Mode as opposed to DMA mode. However
the zip drive just hangs after a while when attempting to copy files to it.

It sounds like you are saying that with a Zip drive I can not burn CDs, so to be
able to use my burner I must give up the zip drive. It seems there should be
some way around this problem. While I can now burn CDs I do not want to give up
my zip drive if possible.

Old August 30th 05, 02:38 PM
Richard Hopkins

"Edward Diener No Spam" wrote in
message...
Here is what I did. I uninstalled the VIA Miniport Driver I am finally
able to burn DVDs.

Cool.

One program, the free version of DeepBurner, was able to burn files on
the DVD but then was not able to Eject, even though it said that it did,

Sounds like you still have issues related to the drivers or the hardware
itself then.

This may be a demo version but it sure does not sound as if Nero is
very good.

Nah, Nero is about the best, most powerful, most compatible burning suite
there is. If it doesn't work for you, it's probably worth finding out why,
as chances are it's a problem with your particular setup than Nero itself.

It sounds like you are saying that with a Zip drive I can not burn
CDs, so to be able to use my burner I must give up the zip drive.

That may be the ultimate solution for you, but you shouldn't give up too
soon.

It seems there should be some way around this problem. While I can
now burn CDs I do not want to give up my zip drive if possible.

And you shouldn't have to. Most controller-floptical-optical writer
combinations work fine together. Your problem may be a mutual hardware
incompatibility, it may be drivers. It may be as simple as making sure that
the Zip and the DVD-RW drive are on separate branches of the controller (if
you haven't done so already).

Stick with it, as chances are you'll be able to get everything working
together.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Old August 30th 05, 06:16 PM
smh

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:
smh wrote:
Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

If I swich to View | Devices by Connection, I see my two DVD drives under the
Primary Ultra DMA Channel and my Zip 250 drive under the Secondary Ultra DMA
Channel correctly.

Still have Zip drive installed? That's the source of your problem.

You are probably right. I am just curious about what you know about this problem.

Here is what I did. I uninstalled the VIA Miniport Driver I am finally able to
burn DVDs.

Doesn't it spell r-e-l-i-e-f?

One program, the free version of DeepBurner, was able to burn files on the DVD
but then was not able to Eject, even though it said that it did, after which I
could not open my DVD drive. After I rebooted I was able to open the DVD drive
and the files that were burned were on it when I next booted back to Win2k.

The Nero demo version was the worst failure, unable to do practically anything
and full of bugs, like telling me repeatedly that my drive had data and, after I
told it to erase the data, repeating the same thing again ad nauseam without
doing anything. It also hung up in the Lead-Something state forever when burning
some files on the DVD and eventually I was able to kill it, although stopping it
was a PITA. This may be a demo version but it sure does not sound as if Nero is
very good.

And you said the Samsung was crappy, too.

[...]

In order for the Zip drive to function properly you need the driver.
Reinstall it and see if Paragon still able to burn. If it doesn't, see
if rebooting with a zip disk in the drive makes any difference. If it
still doesn't, I'm outa ideas except to say check out Iomega/Zip/Via
forums for a newer driver.

I did install, very early on, a Via IDE Miniport Driver in order to fix a
problem which Via mentioned regarded my southbridge, the VT8233A, and Iomega ZIP
100/250 drives. I see that Via now says this driver is a legacy driver,

You need a newer driver, but there might not be any. Again, check out
Iomega/Zip/Via forums for the driver issue for sure.

Old August 30th 05, 08:00 PM
- HAL9000

I haven't followed this thread real close but I think this is some
explanation...

The burning problem you described (nothing progresses) can occur when
your IDE interrupt(s) isn't working. The burning starts, but when an
interrupt occurs to supply more data to the burner - the interrupt is
diabled/bypassed/ignored. Therefor no burn progress.

Your IOMega drive needs PIO mode 3? I believe mode 3 means the drive
wants to use the IDE without an interrupt! Presto - that's your
problem. One device needs interrupts and another device doesn't.
Sounds like the zip drive will need it's own IDE - otherwise remove it
and it's drivers. Or, if you have a cd player, that doesn't need high
speed IDE, then you can use the zip drive with that.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

snip

Old August 30th 05, 08:15 PM
Edward Diener No Spam

- HAL9000 wrote:
I haven't followed this thread real close but I think this is some
explanation...

The burning problem you described (nothing progresses) can occur when
your IDE interrupt(s) isn't working. The burning starts, but when an
interrupt occurs to supply more data to the burner - the interrupt is
diabled/bypassed/ignored. Therefor no burn progress.

OK, I understand that.

Your IOMega drive needs PIO mode 3?

DMA disabled and PIO Mode 3 under Win2k and PIO Mode 1 in the BIOS, with the zip
drive jumper set specifically as the Master ( or Slave ) drive, was the original
Via recommendation. That web page is now gone as far as I can tell. Perhaps that
means I should just use normal DMA with it based on some Win2k SP improvement. I
will try that next.

I believe mode 3 means the drive
wants to use the IDE without an interrupt! Presto - that's your
problem. One device needs interrupts and another device doesn't.

But my Zip drive is on the secondary IDE channel where the settings are as above
just for the Master device on that channel ( there is no slave device on that
channel ) while my two DVD drives are on the primary IDE channel, and set to
normal DMA. Doesn't that make a difference.

Sounds like the zip drive will need it's own IDE - otherwise remove it
and it's drivers. Or, if you have a cd player, that doesn't need high
speed IDE, then you can use the zip drive with that.

See above.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:26:25 GMT, Edward Diener No Spam

snip

cd burner problem Eric General 0 February 6th 05 02:40 PM
GA7N400 Pro (not Pro2) problem - advice requested Eddie B. Gigabyte Motherboards 4 January 8th 05 02:17 PM
This problem has baffled everyone... Nick G General 46 May 22nd 04 04:01 AM
BackUp MyPC: How to Slow Down the CD Burner? JamesDad Cdr 5 October 29th 03 04:10 AM
Freezing, lock up, unresponsive problem. James General 5 September 5th 03 02:54 PM