DVD Burner Problem

Old August 29th 05, 12:10 AM
Edward Diener No Spam

Margaret Wilson wrote:
"Edward Diener No Spam" wrote in
message ink.net...

More than one software package did not work but I will download Nero trial
version and try it also.

As others have stated, Nero is a very good program. Not all software is
compatible with all drives, take CDR-Win for an example. Further, DVD
burners can be picky about the media they will use. As someone else
suggested, have you tried burning a CD? If you try Nero and it will not
burn either a CD or DVD, I'd suspect either incompatible media or most
likely, a bad drive.

I will buy some CD-RWs tomorrow and try again. The amusing thing is that the
DVD-RWs which I bought come from the same company that manufactures the drive,
Samsung.
Old August 29th 05, 03:14 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL)
( )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )
'

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

I had never used a DVD Burner before, but decided to by an IDE one from NewEgg.
The DVD is the Samsung TS-H552U OEM version. I installed it on my computer, an
Abit At7, and the BIOS shows it. I booted into Win2k and I can see it in the
Device Manager fine. When I put in a CD or DVD I can read the drive and see the
contents in Explorer. So far, so good. I already checked and I have the latest
firmware for the drive.

I had bought along with the drive Samsung Pleomax DVD-RW 4x DVDs. The drive
specifically states that it supports DVD-RW(4x). I put one of the disks in the
drive and attempt to Burn some files on the DVD. I have never done this before
so assume it should be easy. I tried using two different software programs for
it but one completely hangs and hangs Win2k and the other says it is copy the
image to the DVD but nothing ever happens and the progress bar stays at 0.

snip

The only other possibility that something is wrong is that VIA has a VIA Bus
Master PCI IDE Utility which shows what drives are off of the two IDE channels
of my mobo. When I double-click on this utility in my system tray, no drives are
shown. Maybe this denoted some problem. But like I said, when I look in the BIOS
I can see my drives and Win2k pick them up.

The other possibility is that when I installed this DVD writer I did not remove
my previous DVD-ROM drive because I wanted to make sure this worked first before
I did. Is there a problem having more than one CD/DVD drive under Win2k ? The
software with which I tried to burn the DVD always recognizes the particular
Samsung drive, so I do not think it is getting confused between my DVD drives.

(Don't think the Samsung is defective. Via chipset drivers often cause
problems with optical drives. Is your Via chipset drivers up-to-date?)

Go into the BIOS and double check the DVD drives are listed and set to
Auto or Use DMA. Boot into Safe mode. In Device Manager, remove/delete
all the DVD/CD drives. Reboot and check the drives are running in DMA
mode:

Control Panel - System - Hardware tab - Device Manager) and go into
IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Double click "Primary/Secondary IDE Channel"
(the channel the DVD drives are connected to). Then click the "Advanced
Settings" tab and check the Current Transfer mode is DMA for both Device
0 and Device 1.
Old August 29th 05, 04:12 AM
Edward Diener No Spam

. --------------------------------------

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

[...]

That is possible, but I have no problems reading from either drive. Just writing
to the Samsung DVD Writer.

Is your Via chipset drivers up-to-date?)

Yes.

Go into the BIOS and double check the DVD drives are listed and set to
Auto or Use DMA.

Listed as Auto

Boot into Safe mode. In Device Manager, remove/delete
all the DVD/CD drives. Reboot and check the drives are running in DMA
mode:

Control Panel - System - Hardware tab - Device Manager) and go into
IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Double click "Primary/Secondary IDE Channel"
(the channel the DVD drives are connected to). Then click the "Advanced
Settings" tab

No such thing. Only General, Driver, and Resources when looking at Primary Ultra
DMA Channel properties.

and check the Current Transfer mode is DMA for both Device
0 and Device 1.

Where is this ? I do not see it.

There is a Via Bus Master PCI IDE Controller tray icon. Looking at the two DVD
drives on my primary controller their mode is Ultra DMA Mode 2 (ATA 33).
Old August 29th 05, 05:18 AM
smh

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:
smh wrote:
Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

[...]

That's a problem, isn't it? I recall a report burning was possible
without error, but the resulting burn gives crc errors when copying to
hard disk. Think that problem was fixed by either installing the latest
Via chipset drivers or replaced with Windows drivers.

Is your Via chipset drivers up-to-date?)

Yes.

Go into the BIOS and double check the DVD drives are listed and set to
Auto or Use DMA.

Listed as Auto

Boot into Safe mode. In Device Manager, remove/delete
all the DVD/CD drives. Reboot and check the drives are running in DMA
mode:

Control Panel - System - Hardware tab - Device Manager) and go into
IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Double click "Primary/Secondary IDE Channel"
(the channel the DVD drives are connected to). Then click the "Advanced
Settings" tab

No such thing. Only General, Driver, and Resources when looking at Primary Ultra
DMA Channel properties.

That's the usual location, but not always depending on the system.

and check the Current Transfer mode is DMA for both Device
0 and Device 1.

Where is this ? I do not see it.

There is a Via Bus Master PCI IDE Controller tray icon. Looking at the two DVD
drives on my primary controller their mode is Ultra DMA Mode 2 (ATA 33).

That's the "usual" location for your system. g

Try run Nero "Get System Info" (instead of Test Drive which checks
"disc", not drive). Go thru the tabs and see if anything looks
"unusual". Does the Configuration tab show any? Does the Drive tab
list the Samsung with "(1:0) ..." string?
Old August 29th 05, 11:38 AM
John Russell

[...]

The first program I tried to use was Paragon ISO Burner. This program just
hangs once I get to the part where it attempts to read the blank DVD in
the drive in preparation for asking me what files I want to burn on the
DVD. After that I can not even open the drive case manually to take out
the drive, nor can I kill the software. I am able to shut down the system,
and then remove the DVD from the drive once I boot up.

The second program I tried was DeepBurner Free version. This gets to the
point where it says Creating CD image, then the Device Buffer progress bar
is filled, but nothing ever happens as far as Write Progress is concerned,
nor do I see the DVD light go on at any time. Here I can at least Cancel
and end the program, and then remove my DVD disk from the drive.

The only other possibility that something is wrong is that VIA has a VIA
Bus Master PCI IDE Utility which shows what drives are off of the two IDE
channels of my mobo. When I double-click on this utility in my system
tray, no drives are shown. Maybe this denoted some problem. But like I
said, when I look in the BIOS I can see my drives and Win2k pick them up.

The other possibility is that when I installed this DVD writer I did not
remove my previous DVD-ROM drive because I wanted to make sure this worked
first before I did. Is there a problem having more than one CD/DVD drive
under Win2k ? The software with which I tried to burn the DVD always
recognizes the particular Samsung drive, so I do not think it is getting
confused between my DVD drives.

I though using this drive would be easy, and am disappointed that it does
not work. I had previously bought two Samsung 160 GB hard drives and they
have worked flawlessly so far. Does any CD/DVD guru have any idea what is
going wrong here ?

Try running with only the DVD recorder connected. If that works, try running
with the DVD devices on seperate IDE controllers. You will find this
advantageous if you ever come to copying disks from the reader to the
writer.

Old August 29th 05, 01:26 PM
Edward Diener No Spam

. --------------------------------------

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

smh wrote:

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

[...]

I am querying on the Via Arena for my chipset. I saw other posts there,
regarding DVD burner problems, about uninstalling the Via drivers and just using
the Windows drivers, but I want to make sure before I do so and also understand
which drivers I uninstall and how I do so. I do see a "Via Bus Master Ultra ATA
Controller" in Device Manager and I do see a "Via Bus Master Ultra ATA Driver"
listed in the Add/Remove programs applet, but before I uninstall that I want to
make sure it is correct to do so.

I did install, very early on, a Via IDE Miniport Driver in order to fix a
problem which Via mentioned regarded my southbridge, the VT8233A, and Iomega ZIP
100/250 drives. I see that Via now says this driver is a legacy driver, but I
could not set under Win2k the recommended PIO Mode 3 for my IOMega Zip/250 drive
( on my secondary IDE channel ) without it, and the drive ran very slow without
that Win2k setting. So I kept it installed.

[...]

The configuration tab shows the DVD drives but says Unknown Adapter. I do not
know if this means anything.

Does the Drive tab
list the Samsung with "(1:0) ..." string?

The Drive tab lists the Samsung as (0:1). I moved it to be the slave drive off
of my primary IDE controller. The Toshiba is listed as (0:0). It is the master
drive off of may primary IDE controller.

I have a feeling that you are on the right track regarding Via drivers and that
I need to somehow remove any Via IDE drivers and let Win2K SP4 drivers only
control the IDE channel.
Old August 29th 05, 01:43 PM
Margaret Wilson

Margaret Wilson wrote:
"Edward Diener No Spam" wrote in
message ink.net...

More than one software package did not work but I will download Nero
trial version and try it also.

As others have stated, Nero is a very good program. Not all software is
compatible with all drives, take CDR-Win for an example. Further, DVD
burners can be picky about the media they will use. As someone else
suggested, have you tried burning a CD? If you try Nero and it will not
burn either a CD or DVD, I'd suspect either incompatible media or most
likely, a bad drive.

I will buy some CD-RWs tomorrow and try again. The amusing thing is that
the DVD-RWs which I bought come from the same company that manufactures
the drive, Samsung.

You know, I just had another idea. When installing Windows Updates, have
you installed the "update" for HiMat support? If so, uninstall that update.
A friend installed it and a few days later noticed she could no longer burn
CDs/DVDs without generating errors. Once she uninstalled the update, she
could burn discs again.

Also, I've not had much luck with Windows XP's disc burning capabilities.
Try disabling the IMAPI service. You won't need it if you're using
third-party software anyway.

Regards,

Margaret

Old August 29th 05, 02:27 PM
dadiOH

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:
I have a feeling that you are on the right track regarding Via
drivers and that I need to somehow remove any Via IDE drivers and let
Win2K SP4 drivers only control the IDE channel.

Before doing that, have you checked your ASPI files? Version 4.6
suggested...

aspichk.exe
http://aspi.radified.com/

forceaspi.exe at the same place if needed.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old August 29th 05, 03:16 PM
Edward Diener No Spam

dadiOH wrote:
Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

I have a feeling that you are on the right track regarding Via
drivers and that I need to somehow remove any Via IDE drivers and let
Win2K SP4 drivers only control the IDE channel.

Before doing that, have you checked your ASPI files? Version 4.6
suggested...

aspichk.exe
http://aspi.radified.com/

forceaspi.exe at the same place if needed.

I am not using SCSI but ATAPI IDE DVD rom drives.
Old August 29th 05, 03:22 PM
Edward Diener No Spam

Margaret Wilson wrote:

"Edward Diener No Spam" wrote in
message ink.net...

More than one software package did not work but I will download Nero
trial version and try it also.

As others have stated, Nero is a very good program. Not all software is
compatible with all drives, take CDR-Win for an example. Further, DVD
burners can be picky about the media they will use. As someone else
suggested, have you tried burning a CD? If you try Nero and it will not
burn either a CD or DVD, I'd suspect either incompatible media or most
likely, a bad drive.

I will buy some CD-RWs tomorrow and try again. The amusing thing is that
the DVD-RWs which I bought come from the same company that manufactures
the drive, Samsung.

You know, I just had another idea. When installing Windows Updates, have
you installed the "update" for HiMat support?

How do I tell ?

If so, uninstall that update.
A friend installed it and a few days later noticed she could no longer burn
CDs/DVDs without generating errors. Once she uninstalled the update, she
could burn discs again.

Also, I've not had much luck with Windows XP's disc burning capabilities.

I am on Win2k.

Try disabling the IMAPI service.

What is IMAPI ? I do not see a Service in my list that says IMAPI. Maybe it has
a different name.

You won't need it if you're using
third-party software anyway.

For what, burning DVD disks ? I did not know that Win2k had this ability
natively. Do you know where it is ?

cd burner problem Eric General 0 February 6th 05 03:40 PM
GA7N400 Pro (not Pro2) problem - advice requested Eddie B. Gigabyte Motherboards 4 January 8th 05 03:17 PM
This problem has baffled everyone... Nick G General 46 May 22nd 04 04:01 AM
BackUp MyPC: How to Slow Down the CD Burner? JamesDad Cdr 5 October 29th 03 05:10 AM
Freezing, lock up, unresponsive problem. James General 5 September 5th 03 02:54 PM