Audio and voice quality testing software - evaluation inquiry

Old May 17th 09, 11:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Sevana Oy

Default Audio and voice quality testing software - evaluation inquiry

Hi,

We welcome audio/speech/voice quality professionals to evaluate our
tool that performs automated voice quality testing providing
quantative reasons for voice quality loss. Here one can find command
line version of the tool:

http://www.sevana.fi/speech/VQcmd.zip

and here one can find more information about the program and
technology:

http://www.sevana.fi/voice_quality_t...t_analysis.php

AQuA is a simple but powerful tool to provide perceptual voice quality
testing and audio file comparison in terms of audio quality. This is
the easiest way to compare two audio files and test voice quality
between original and degraded files.

Perceptual voice quality measurement is a way to calculate MOS values
and typically one must use quite expensive hardware/software solutions
provided by the World leaders in this technology or (in most of the
cases) their resellers, unless one has in-house developed P.862/P.863/
P.563 implementation.

Another option is measuring the so-called R value. R-value is a
number, or score, that is used to quantitatively express the
subjective quality of speech in communications systems, especially
digital networks that carry voice over IP traffic, or for which VoIP
service is under consideration. The R-value score, which is used in
conjunction with voice testing processes, can range from 1 (worst) to
100 (best), and is based on the percentage of users who are satisfied
with the quality of a test voice signal after it has passed through a
network from a source (transmitter) to a destination (receiver).

However, many companies that demand voice quality measurement whether
cannot afford available solutions or are not satisfied with the
measurements they provide. These are laboratories involved in codec
development, telecom and voice/audio systems providers, VoIP
providers, companies that develop network and other Quality of Service
(QoS) monitoring solutions, IT vendors and consulting companies that
provide system design, testing, discovering what causes failures and
voice quality losses. For these companies Aqua – software that can be
distributed as a DLL library for Windows systems and is available for
Linux and in Java is an easy and inexpensive way to introduce voice
quality testing and measurement to their systems in a short term and
at a low cost.

Our software has these main features that are demanded and very useful
for many companies:
- based on research of such scientists as Zwicker, Fletcher,
Sapozhnikov, Sorokin we can create a test audio file containing the so-
called critical bands that are important for human ear perception
- we can quickly compare two voice files to obtain estimation on how
different they are quality wise (based on the research of the same
scientists)
- after the files are compared we provide reasons for quality loss
with quantative estimations like:

Duration distortion.
Audio shrinking corresponds to 6.33 percent.

Audio signal activity mistiming (unsynchronization) is 9.90 percent.

Corrupted signal spectrum.
Overall specral energy distortion approaches 26.89 %
Vibration along the whole spectrum [-12.14, 14.75] %

Significant distortion in low frequencies band.
Energy distortion approaches 10.66 %
Spectrum vibration in low frequency band [-4.48, 6.18] %

Significant distortion in medium frequencies band.
Energy distortion approaches 12.52 %

These features allow obtaining some kind of "R value" automatically by
comparing voice files using our methods. We can also provide on the
fly channel testing if one streams our speech model audio and then
compares it with what is received at the destination and we are also
able to scale down our values (that are between 0 and 100% of signal
similarity quality wise) to PESQ or/and MOS values, what is
implemented in the latest version. Speech model is also used to test
voice codecs quality f.e. to choose the best for one's voice system.
And on top of that we can actually provide a quantative feedback with
numerical data describing what were the reasons for quality loss.

Our approach is new and not related to ITU standards, what maybe a
disadvantage to some companies, because although even if P.862 fails
it still corresponds to a World telecom standard; we know about that
and are working on becoming a standard (we welcome partners and
investors for these activities), but our approach is also DIFFERENT to
the existing ones and provides very good results. For example:
http://www.microtronix.ca/pesq-disc.html

Our software does catch that significant quality loss, which occurs
when the file is equalized such that there is far less low frequency
and high frequency energy when compared to the original file.

Our software consumes about 2 times less computational power than PESQ
implementations (can serve 10 ports instead of 5 on the same
hardware), can easily be integrated, and our pricing policy is much
more attractive than of those who offer ITU P.863 or similar
standards.

Thank you for your time and attention spent to consider this text and
we'll be happy to receive your feedback on our software!