What are the best brands to get dual-layer DVDRWs (+ and -)?

Old January 1st 09, 11:34 AM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
Paul Heslop

Default What are the best brands to get dual-layer DVDRWs (+ and -)?

Ant wrote:

On 12/31/2008 2:06 PM PT, Paul Heslop typed:

Yes, RW since I will be reusing them.
Is it me or are DVD+/-RW discs rare?
Just you. Not as common as DVD+/-R but nothing even remotely
resembling anything like rare.

But maybe you left out the dual layer in the body of this post.

DL DVD+/-RWs arent very common at all.
Sorry, I meant dual layer/DL RWs not the cheaper smaller capability ones.
Oh well, those are definitely in the rare to never seen one category, it
most be the price question.

The problems with RW (SL) are mostly in the compatibility path, while
they work in computer readers, most give errors when used in a normal
consumer DVD.
I had use 3 different brands, none has played OK neither on my players
(Phillips) or my cousin one (Samsung), so for me they are very expensive
coasters.
Wow, I thought this issue would resolved by now. Hence, why I stuck with
CD burners for many years and finally decided to get a DVD burner drive.
I remember this problem with CDRWs back in the old days. That was quite
annoying. Things got a lot better now. I just hated making coasters with
CDRs and DVDRs. And I do like to erase RW medias and reuse them. I guess
I should not bother with DVD RW medias then.

DVD ram is the most stable.

And least compatiblity: http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3.1
... Ugh.

yep, but really, it is like a mini hard disc.

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look
Old January 6th 09, 01:59 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
CapCity[_2_]

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Ant wrote:
On 12/31/2008 7:42 AM PT, Vic Hyu Garcia typed:

[...]

SL DVD+/-RW is very readily available and the better DVD players handle
them fine.

Always check the DVD players specs to be sure. If the box doesn't have it
listed on the side then go to the product's web site. Or take one with you
to the store and try it on a floor model.

Old January 6th 09, 04:32 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
Ant

On 1/6/2009 4:59 AM PT, CapCity typed:

SL DVD+/-RW is very readily available and the better DVD players handle
them fine.

Always check the DVD players specs to be sure. If the box doesn't have it
listed on the side then go to the product's web site. Or take one with you
to the store and try it on a floor model.

Yes, but this is not possible for people who already owned DVD players
for years. Do all DVD players (even old and cheaper models) support SL
DVDRs well?
--
"It is not enough to be industrious; so are the ants. What are you
industrious about?" --Henry David Thoreau
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Old January 6th 09, 07:08 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
CapCity[_2_]

"Ant" wrote in message
m...
On 1/6/2009 4:59 AM PT, CapCity typed:

SL DVD+/-RW is very readily available and the better DVD players handle
them fine.

Always check the DVD players specs to be sure. If the box doesn't have it
listed on the side then go to the product's web site. Or take one with
you to the store and try it on a floor model.

Yes, but this is not possible for people who already owned DVD players for
years. Do all DVD players (even old and cheaper models) support SL DVDRs
well?

No. Some will not support them at all. Older progressive scan players
sometimes do well. But I have seen players only play SL DVD-R, some not play
either SL DVD-R or SL DVD+R.

Old January 6th 09, 07:55 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
Rod Speed

Ant wrote:
On 1/6/2009 4:59 AM PT, CapCity typed:

SL DVD+/-RW is very readily available and the better DVD players
handle them fine.

Always check the DVD players specs to be sure. If the box doesn't
have it listed on the side then go to the product's web site. Or
take one with you to the store and try it on a floor model.

Yes, but this is not possible for people who already owned DVD players
for years. Do all DVD players (even old and cheaper models) support SL
DVDRs well?

Nope, particularly with the older ones.

But then they are now so cheap that there isnt much point in farting around
with the older crap that doesnt work.

The other consideration is that the best of DVD players will play MPEG4s and AVIs
etc and its well worth replacing DVD players that dont with ones that do so you dont
have to fart around converting those to DVD format if you play those much.

Old January 6th 09, 09:47 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
CapCity[_2_]

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Ant wrote:
[...]

I just picked up a Phillips model at WalMart for around $40. Plays DVD+/-R,
DivX, Music CDs, MP3. Has a USB port and will rip a music cd to MP3 on a
thumb drive. Also upconverts to 1080p.

Like you said, why fart around with the old stuff. The DivX alone was worth
it.

Old January 7th 09, 06:49 AM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
Ant

On 1/6/2009 10:55 AM PT, Rod Speed typed:

Ant wrote:
[...]

So I have to tell all my friends, relatives, strangers, etc. to buy new
players because of their old incompatible DVD players?
--
"Yo mama's glasses are so thick, she can burn ants with them." --unknown
/\___/\

Old January 7th 09, 09:39 AM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
Rod Speed

Ant wrote:
[...]

Yep, thats what I have done.

Old January 7th 09, 04:28 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
Ant

On 1/7/2009 12:39 AM PT, Rod Speed typed:

[...]

Oh well. Thanks anyways.
--
"Ladies and gentlemen, hoboes and tramps...Crosseyed Mosquitoes and
bow-legged ants...I've come to tell you the story..." --Bob Holman

Old January 7th 09, 08:07 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
Rod Speed

Ant wrote:
[...]

More strictly I have done that with those who want more than just one or two DVDs.

dual layer for dvd-rw Tomo Cdr 8 January 16th 06 01:51 AM
Dual Layer Rod Williams Cdr 4 April 6th 05 08:35 PM
Dual layer dvd rw Brian J Dell Computers 19 November 25th 04 06:49 PM
Dual Layer DVD-Rs Chris Homebuilt PC's 0 June 2nd 04 06:23 PM
Dual Layer DVD-Rs Daniel P Homebuilt PC's 2 June 2nd 04 09:39 AM