LG GCC-4243N reads CDs but won't read DVDs anymore

Old August 29th 08, 01:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
CPeterson3

Default LG GCC-4243N reads CDs but won't read DVDs anymore

Hi,
I just replaced my hard drive on my Dell 600m, so I had to reinstall Windows
XP SP2 and all my drivers, etc. Everything seemed to go OK, BUT the CD/DVD
drive (HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N) in my 600m will no longer read DVDs of any
kind, not data and not movies. It used to read DVDs before with no problem.
It reads audio CDs now no problem, but when I put a DVD into the drive, it
does absolutely nothing, doesn't even complain or give me an error warning.
I think the hardware is fine, but I wonder if I need some sort of software
file or codecs to make the 'dual' function to work. As a hope, I have since
downloaded and updated to XP service pack 3, but it didn't help. I'm not
sure where to look to solve the problem. My GCC-4243N has drivers level A103
in it now (firmware?). Anyone have any ideas on how I can restore my ability
to read DVDs? It never was a DVD writer, only a reader. Thanks.

Craig

Old August 29th 08, 05:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/gqnae

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above )
(is a LIBEL -- despite Mikey claimed to have PROOF of libels!)
'

CPeterson3 wrote:

[...]

Double check that you did not 'disturb' the drive connection when you
installed new hard drive.

Go into the Device Manager, DVD/CD-ROM section and see if everything
looks normal, like 'This device is working properly'.

Dell has a diagnostic utility in a hidden partition. If you copied it to
new drive, try it by F12 when you start the system. (Also, see if you
have a diagnostic disc.)

How old is the system? Maybe the drive reached its end?
Old August 29th 08, 04:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
CPeterson3 via HWKB.com

Double check that you did not 'disturb' the drive connection when you
installed new hard drive.

My CD/DVD drive appears to be just fine, hardware wise. It reads audio and
data CDs just fine, so I doubt that I could have disturbed anything that way.
The system sees and it uses it. But the system just doesn't see DVDs in it.
Even the nomenclature every refers to the device as a CD/DVD drive.

Go into the Device Manager, DVD/CD-ROM section and see if everything
looks normal, like 'This device is working properly'.

The Device Manager reports that "this device is working properly." It even
reports the device type as "DVD/CD-ROM drives", and also it has a tab in the
dev mgr screen for "DVD Region". All indications are that the system sees it
as a DVD capable drive. But it won't read DVDs.

Dell has a diagnostic utility in a hidden partition. If you copied it to
new drive, try it by F12 when you start the system. (Also, see if you
have a diagnostic disc.)

When I installed the new hard drive, I didn't set up or load that extra
partition. But I do have the diagnositics CD, and I did run that (which
meant I had to use the "CD" player to read it, and it did). The diagnostics
ran just fine on it, but the diagnostics only did CD type activities, not DVD,
from what I could see.

How old is the system? Maybe the drive reached its end?

The computer was purchased in mid 2004. I'm confident that the drive has not
given up its ghost yet, as evident by the reading that it does do. Plus, I
think it will scream error messages at some point if it were in trouble. BUT,
it just does not want to recognize a DVD placed inside of it. I'd love to
understand better how a "dual" drive like this GCC-4243N does it's thing.
Hardware wise it appears to be OK. But does it use a special driver or a
special decoder to read a DVD? I don't know. I wonder, if in the process of
reinstalling Win, that stuff didn't get re-uped. Any more thoughts?

Craig

Old August 29th 08, 07:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Ed Light

Do you have Nero infotool?

http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-infotools.html

It will show if the drive should read DVD's. Maybe not that helpful.
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old August 29th 08, 09:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

"CPeterson3 via HWKB.com" wrote:

[...]

Take out the diagnostic cd and insert a dvd disc before test.

How old is the system? Maybe the drive reached its end?

The computer was purchased in mid 2004. I'm confident that the drive has not
given up its ghost yet, as evident by the reading that it does do. Plus, I
think it will scream error messages at some point if it were in trouble. BUT,
it just does not want to recognize a DVD placed inside of it. I'd love to
understand better how a "dual" drive like this GCC-4243N does it's thing.
Hardware wise it appears to be OK. But does it use a special driver or a
special decoder to read a DVD? I don't know. I wonder, if in the process of
reinstalling Win, that stuff didn't get re-uped. Any more thoughts?

Go into Device Manager, right-click the drive and choose 'Uninstall'.
When you reboot, Windows should find the drive and (re)install drivers
automatically.

Open the tray/drive and inspect for any 'abnormality' (and you might try
cleaning the laser lens).

Here are problems opposite to yours - read dvd, but not cd:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/CD-ROMS-D...e-CDRW-won.htm
http://www.fixya.com/support/t140187...ing_but_dvd_ok
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=101596