Arcam player stops playing newly burned discs

Old July 22nd 08, 08:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Mike O'Sullivan

Default Arcam player stops playing newly burned discs

A very strange problem today. My Arcam CD72 player has stopped
recognising newly burnt CDR discs. "no disc" is the error message I get,
but strangely it continues to play previously burnt discs, just not new
ones. Even more strange, all these problem discs WILL play in my
computer, my Panasonic DVD recorder, AND a very old mini hi-fi player my
wife uses. What could possibly be the reason for this?

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.
Old July 22nd 08, 03:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Mike S.

In article ,
Mike O'Sullivan wrote:
A very strange problem today. My Arcam CD72 player has stopped
recognising newly burnt CDR discs. "no disc" is the error message I get,
but strangely it continues to play previously burnt discs, just not new
ones. Even more strange, all these problem discs WILL play in my
computer, my Panasonic DVD recorder, AND a very old mini hi-fi player my
wife uses. What could possibly be the reason for this?

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

1. There is something different about the discs you have burned recently.
Either the discs have higher error rates or less reflectivity (variaitons
can occur within a single batch, especially with manufacturers having
poorer quality control) or your burner is producing suboptimal burns due
to dying laser, poor burner-to-blank match, or improper burning speed.

2. The laser pickup on your Arcam player is dying. That is why it is more
sensitive to marginally recorded discs than your other equipment. My Marantz
CD63SE developed the same problem.

Old July 22nd 08, 08:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Mike O'Sullivan

Mike S. wrote:

1. There is something different about the discs you have burned recently.
Either the discs have higher error rates or less reflectivity (variaitons
can occur within a single batch, especially with manufacturers having
poorer quality control) or your burner is producing suboptimal burns due
to dying laser, poor burner-to-blank match, or improper burning speed.

2. The laser pickup on your Arcam player is dying. That is why it is more
sensitive to marginally recorded discs than your other equipment. My Marantz
CD63SE developed the same problem.

Thanks for that. I wrote to Arcam and got an impressively quick
response. their reply pretty much echoed your second paragraph. They
suggest sending it back for analysis and possibly resolve the issue with
a new laser optic, which I probably will.

I used to have a CD63 too.
Old July 29th 08, 08:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
[email protected]

Keep Linux smoke free

Mike O'Sullivan wrote:
Mike S. wrote:

1. There is something different about the discs you have burned recently.
Either the discs have higher error rates or less reflectivity (variaitons
can occur within a single batch, especially with manufacturers having
poorer quality control) or your burner is producing suboptimal burns due
to dying laser, poor burner-to-blank match, or improper burning speed.

2. The laser pickup on your Arcam player is dying. That is why it is more
sensitive to marginally recorded discs than your other equipment. My Marantz
CD63SE developed the same problem.

Thanks for that. I wrote to Arcam and got an impressively quick
response. their reply pretty much echoed your second paragraph. They
suggest sending it back for analysis and possibly resolve the issue with
a new laser optic, which I probably will.

I used to have a CD63 too.Keep Linux smoke free