Software Available To Process Old CDs, Similar to ART or Original-ImageBit-Processing?

Old February 25th 08, 01:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Morton

Default Software Available To Process Old CDs, Similar to ART or Original-ImageBit-Processing?

Hi,

I'm a music lover for many years, and have done some simple recording
from time to time, from the 78 rpm acetate disc era to my new all
digital unit.

I have some CDs of classical music in my collection, where the sound is
adequate but could be better. The best example is the DG set of complete
Schubert Sonatas by W. Kempff. A 2-CD set processed with DGs
Original-Image Bit-Processing gives a remarkable improvement in sound,
with less metallic sound, more air, and a cleaner treble, when compared
with the older Cds of the same pieces. Unfortunately, DG re-issued the
complete Schubert set in the old transfer. Similar things have occurred
with EMI's ART method.

I am wondering if there is any software available that I could use in my
PC to process the old CDs to thusly improve the sound. I am now 79 years
old, and will probably pass away before DG or EMI re-release my
favorites in the improved sound.

Thank you.

Morton Linder
Old February 25th 08, 08:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/38wte6

(No Mikey S-Lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above )
(is a LIBEL -- despite Mikey claimed to have PROOF of libels!)
'

Morton wrote:

[...]

Does the cd have "Digital Audio" written on it? In what equipment do you
play the cd? Can you play the cd in your PC?
Old February 26th 08, 02:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Morton

. --------------------------------------

Morton wrote:
[...]

Does the cd have "Digital Audio" written on it? Yes.

In what equipment do you play the cd? My standard stereo system.
Can you play the cd in your PC? Yes.

I'm talking about commercially available, standard audio CDs by EMI and DG.

Thanks.

Mort
Old February 26th 08, 03:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Mike Richter

Morton wrote:

I am wondering if there is any software available that I could use in my
PC to process the old CDs to thusly improve the sound. I am now 79 years
old, and will probably pass away before DG or EMI re-release my
favorites in the improved sound.

The greatest contribution comes from simple software that adjusts
equalization - frequency response. Unfortunately, other failings such as
dynamic compression and unwise denoising are all but impossible to undo
once they've been introduced. When a publisher reissues in improved
sound, they have usually gone back to master tapes or other early
sources and have chosen not to destroy the sound.

That said, any audio editor should be able to improve the sound of poor
issues through re-equalization. I've used two programs extensively:
GoldWave and Audition. GoldWave is shareware and quite capable at a
reasonable price. Adobe Audition is probably best termed 'prosumer' at
high price but rich in features. There are many alternatives to
GoldWave, several to Audition, and high-end alternatives such as
SoundForge (with plugins) I've not used.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/
Old February 26th 08, 09:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Morton wrote:
smh wrote:
Morton wrote:

[...]

(Sorry for my lame questions.)

Based on what I read about Original-Image Bit-Processing (OIBP), no
audio editing software will recreate OIBP quality. For example, OIBP is
supposed to use multiple mic, but no software has a feature dealing with
multiple mic.

At any rate, since you need to extract the tracks first, check out CDex
or Exact Audio Copy (EAC):

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/
http://www.exactaudiocopy.org/

CDex tutorial:
http://www.help2go.com/article170.html

Check out the features of free audio editor (Audacity):
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.p...rrent_Features
Old February 28th 08, 02:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Morton

. --------------------------------------

Morton wrote:
smh wrote:
Morton wrote:
[...]

Thanks to smh and Mike for further replies to my query. The answers are
very helpful, and I'll pursue several of them.

Mort
Old February 29th 08, 08:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Default Mike Richter: CD-R Faq Makes a Common Mistake

'
Mike Richter (Slimy ****) crapped:

snip

Mikey, can't you spare a time to update whether the FAQ has corrected
the common mistake?

Mike Richter: CD-R Faq Makes a Common Mistake

======================
From: Mike Richter
Date: 9/16/01

the FAQ makes a common mistake in that section,
confusing Enhanced CD with its predecessor, CD Extra
======================
Old February 29th 08, 08:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Default Mike Richter: CD-R FAQ Conflicts with References

'
Mike Richter (Slimy ****) crapped:

snip

Mikey, can't you spare a time to update whether the FAQ has corrected
the conflict with references?

Mike Richter: CD-R FAQ Conflicts with References

========================
From: Mike Richter
Date: 5/14/01

Yes, the FAQ says that a Mixed Mode disc
is written in a single session.

I don't doubt it...but it conflicts with

other information I have gleaned from
references
========================
Old February 29th 08, 08:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Default Mike Richter: CD-R Faq has Significant Errors

'
Mike Richter (Slimy ****) crapped:

snip

Mikey, can't you spare a time to update whether the FAQ has corrected
the significant errors?

From: Mike Richter
Date: 5/24/02

I've posted privately to Andy on the FAQ section.

It is quite dated ... and has significant errors

Need original DVD player software Useless Tech Gateway Computers 7 September 28th 06 02:32 PM
PPU (physical processing) Zenta General 1 May 20th 06 02:42 AM
Ebuyer RMA processing times Paul-ust UK Computer Vendors 5 September 21st 04 01:20 AM
dual processing ??? don ward General 2 April 1st 04 12:50 AM
Similar hard drive - not similar behaviour shuffle Storage (alternative) 0 November 26th 03 04:01 PM