I really need help!!!

Old December 31st 05, 02:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default I really need help!!!

Thanks Steven, tried the BIOS, and again no joy. Both optical drives
are on the same EIDE cable.

Roger

Old December 31st 05, 04:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default I really need help!!! - long reply, mostly negative

0700-Vans wrote:
Thanks Dave,

I've checked the BIOS with the CD/IDE connected and it doesn't show any
hard drives, and again with it disconnected, but I haven't looked in
Control Panel. I'll try that & let you know.

Roger

The news server I use has a nasty habit of losing posts - including in
this case your original one. As a result of that and the snipping of the
problem statement on what I did receive, I have only slight knowledge of
what's going on. I'll offer what I can here, but if someone will forward
the original post to me privately, perhaps there are other possibilities.

I had such a problem some months ago. I was using RAID 0 with SATA
drives for booting (it is somewhat faster but not enough to be worth the
problems it caused) when suddenly the BIOS lost awareness of the
configuration. I could not restore from backup or even reinstall Windows
(XP Pro SP2); the drives themselves are fine but of course striping
meant that the BIOS had to cooperate for them to be readable. It
wouldn't and they weren't. The situation was not unlike yours in that
even booting from a floppy or a CD-ROM, the drive was simply invisible
to the BIOS. Ultimately, I installed a single IDE drive and rebuilt the
system using data from a backup and reinstalled software.

Several possibilities exist here most of which involve corruption or
destruction of the MBR on your boot drive. This is not the best forum
for your question, but there are knowledgable and helpful people here
who may be able to suggest a better one. A real possibility is that the
drive is truly dead - unable even to read its MBR. A head crash is one
possibility, a maximally destructive infection is another. The odds are
very much against recovery in either case. If the drive motor has failed
or the area of the primary MBR has been damaged, not even hardware
recovery is possible. OTOH, if you simply lost partition information you
might still be able to use the physical drive by a fresh FDISK.

I'd suggest booting on another drive - perhaps a well-equipped floppy
but better by installing the bad one as slave on a working system - to
see if you can run FDISK. Don't actually do an FDISK but see if it finds
the drive on a working system. If it does, several possible courses can
be pursued, but more likely it will simply not be seen and the drive has
become a paperweight. There is a repair for a faulty MBR which installs
the backup copy as the primary and there is software which can recover
from some partition-destroying infections, but nothing will work if the
drive is damaged to the point where FDISK can't see it.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/
Old December 31st 05, 05:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 08:29:27 -0800, Mike Richter
wrote:

The news server I use has a nasty habit of losing posts - including in
this case your original one. As a result of that and the snipping of the
problem statement on what I did receive, I have only slight knowledge of
what's going on. I'll offer what I can here, but if someone will forward
the original post to me privately, perhaps there are other possibilities.

Copy the first Message-ID in the References line, go to
http://groups.google.com, and paste that Message-ID into the Message-ID
search box.

Old December 31st 05, 06:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

"0700-Vans" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks Steven, tried the BIOS, and again no joy. Both optical drives
are on the same EIDE cable.

Roger

No worries.

Set the jumpers on both drives to "Cable Select" and try booting again.

If this doesn't work set the writer to "Master" and the ROM to "Slave" and
try again.

Hope this helps.

Stephen

Old December 31st 05, 10:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

(No Mikey S-Lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL)
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

Noik wrote:

Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****) crapped:

The news server I use has a nasty habit of losing posts - including in
this case your original one. As a result of that and the snipping of the
problem statement on what I did receive, I have only slight knowledge of
what's going on. I'll offer what I can here, but if someone will forward
the original post to me privately, perhaps there are other possibilities.

Copy the first Message-ID in the References line, go to
http://groups.google.com, and paste that Message-ID into the Message-ID
search box.

Do you think Mikey knows what Message-ID is?
Old December 31st 05, 11:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Noik wrote:

Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****) crapped:

The news server I use has a nasty habit of losing posts - including in
this case your original one. As a result of that and the snipping of the
problem statement on what I did receive, I have only slight knowledge of
what's going on. I'll offer what I can here, but if someone will forward
the original post to me privately, perhaps there are other possibilities.

Copy the first Message-ID in the References line, go to
http://groups.google.com, and paste that Message-ID into the Message-ID
search box.

Do you think Mikey knows what Message-ID is?

You didn't until Noik told you here!
Old January 1st 06, 12:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Mike Richter & Asshole Digging (dvd)

' --------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****) crapped:

Drew wrote:
Can you explain... does RW (CD and DVD) media scratch more easily? What
makes them not as dependable?

I wish that DVD erasables were better, but all indications are that they
are not. I frequently want to pull a short DVD for temporary use, but
my limited experience say that
they are just as vulnerable as erasable CDs.

From: smh
Date: 7/17/04

Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****) crapped:

Note that results so far suggest that DVD-RW and DVD+RW are
no more reliable than CD-RW.

Thus, DVD-+RW is unreliable, I presume?

Anyhow, what results are those? What's the source? Did you just
dig that out of your asshole?

Is CD-RW unreliable, Mikey?

Once upon a time the supposedly flaky, fragile, forgetful,
unreliable CD-RW media was good enough for BACKUP, of all things,
even when combined with the supposedly flaky, fragile, faulty,
unreliable packet "format" -- according to none other than Mikey:

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Acraptec ****)
Date: 9/1/99
Subject: A note on Take Two

You may back up ...to a DCD-formatted erasable.
=====================

I strongly recommend using write-once discs if
jetjock hopes to have the backup readable later.

Why is that Mikey? Have you established that DVD_RW are
unreliable? All you presented -- without substantiation,
only on your say so -- is that DVD_RW are no more reliable
than CD-RW.

If DVD_RW are indeed unreliable, why don't you dig it out of
your asshole and explicitly say so?
'

-------------------------------
Wow! What a slimy friggin SOB!
-------------------------------

Mikey, you are the Slimiest Friggin SOB!
Old January 1st 06, 07:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Who Is Mike Richter & Why Are They Saying All These Horrible ThingsAbout Him? (i)

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

GMAN (Pipsqueak) squealed:

snip squealing

Instead of squealing like a stuck pig, why don't you prove ANY of the
following is a LIBEL, Pipsqueak?

Don't understand why you Pipsqueaks are unable to do so when all you
need to do is copy & paste the proof of misquotes Mikey claimed to
have. That's all it takes. It's that simple. It's that easy.

Who Is Mike Richter and
Why Are They Saying All These Horrible Things About Him?
http://tinyurl.com/8qzc5

Mike Richter is a LIAR (wife beating)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (critical bugs)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (major bug)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda limit)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (dae)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no enhanced cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd/cdr-faq)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/cd-text)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/sao/tao)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/single-session)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iv)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/plextor)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(8a)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(9a)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (viii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ix)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (x)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (supplied cd)

What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (i)
What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (ii)

Mike Richter Wow! Wow! Wow!

Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (i)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (ii)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (iii)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (winoncd/dvd)

Mike Richter & "Looooooooonng" Time for Nothing

What an Asshole
Old January 1st 06, 07:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Who Is Mike Richter & Why Are They Saying All These Horrible ThingsAbout Him? (ii)

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

GMAN (Pipsqueak) squealed:

snip squealing

Instead of squealing like a stuck pig, why don't you prove ANY of the
following is a LIBEL, Pipsqueak?

Don't understand why you Pipsqueaks are unable to do so when all you
need to do is copy & paste the proof of misquotes Mikey claimed to
have. That's all it takes. It's that simple. It's that easy.

Who Is Mike Richter and
Why Are They Saying All These Horrible Things About Him?
http://tinyurl.com/8qzc5

Mike Richter is a LIAR (chicken little)(ii)
Mike Richter, is the Sky Falling?

Mike Richter: CD-R FAQ Conflicts with References
Mike Richter: CD-R FAQ makes a Common Mistake
Mike Richter: CD-R FAQ has Significant Errors

Mike Richter & Half-Baked Research (Mixed-Mode)(i)
Mike Richter & Half-Baked Research (Mixed-Mode)(ii)
Mike Richter & Half-Baked Research (Mixed-Mode)(iii)
Mike Richter & Half-Baked Research (Enhanced CD)
Mike Richter & Half-Baked Research (CD Extra)(i)
Mike Richter & Half-Baked Research (CD Extra)(ii)
Mike Richter & Half-Baked Research (CD Extra)(iii)
Mike Richter & Half-Baked Research (CD Extra - SAO/TAO ?)

Mikey, whatever happened to "quirky", "anomalous" or "trickier"?

Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(only dao)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(yes/no)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(viii)

Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on C1/C2 Errors

Mike Richter's Gibberish on C1/C2 Errors (i)
Mike Richter's Gibberish on C1/C2 Errors (i)(b)
Mike Richter's Gibberish on C1/C2 Errors (i)(c)
Mike Richter's Gibberish on C1/C2 Errors (i)(d)
Mike Richter's Gibberish on C1/C2 Errors (i)(e)
Mike Richter's Gibberish on C1/C2 Errors (ii)(01/05)
Mike Richter's Gibberish on C1/C2 Errors (ii)(09-01)
Mike Richter's Gibberish on C1/C2 Errors (ii)(10-04)
Mike Richter's Gibberish on C1/C2 Errors (ii)(12-00)

Mikey, do you ever see any C1 errors with CDSpeed on your machines?

Mike Richter, where's the Beef (Error Rates)?
Mike Richter, where's the Beef (Error Rates)? (ii)
Mike Richter, where's the Beef (Error Rates)? (07-02)

Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (01-04)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (01-05)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (03-04)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (04-03)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (05-03)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (06-02)(i)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (06-02)(ii)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (06-03)(i)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (06-03)(ii)
Mikey Richter, Digging C1 errors out of Assholes? (07-02)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (07-03)(i)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (07-03)(ii)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (07-03)(iii)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (08-02)(i)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (08-02)(ii)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (09-02)(i)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (09-02)(ii)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (09-02)(iii)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (09-02)(iv)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (09-04)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (10-02)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (10-04)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (10-05)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (12-03)
Mike Richter, Digging C1 Errors out of Assholes? (Feurio)

Mikey, still digging C1 errors out of assholes? (07-02)(cdrw)
Mikey, still digging C1 errors out of assholes? (09-02)(cdrw)
Mikey, still digging C1 errors out of assholes? (10-02)(cdrw)

Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Packet Writing Format
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Packet Writing (ditch)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Packet Writing (lethal)

Mike Richter's Slimy Words on Packet Writing Format

Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD-RW Media (i)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD-RW Media (ii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD-RW Media (iii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD-RW Media (4x)(06-02)(i)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD-RW Media (4x)(06-02)(ii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD-RW Media (4x)(Camper)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD-RW Media (4x)(i)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD-RW Media (4x)(ii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD-RW Media (4x)(iii)

Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD Extra (SAO/TAO)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on CD Extra (single/multi)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Enhanced CD (half-baked)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Enhanced CD (cRoxio ****)

Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on "udf-iso"

Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (half-baked)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (silent)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (mislead)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (conflict)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (summary)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (Wow!)

Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (asshole)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (error)(i)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (error)(ii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (single-multi)(i)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (single-multi)(ii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (audio)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (latrine)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (crap)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (baby food)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (caught)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (references)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (Sphincter)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (elementary)(i)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (elementary)(ii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (elementary)(iii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (elementary)(iv)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (value)(i)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (value)(ii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (value)(iii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on Mixed Mode (DAO)

Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (ezcd/tao/dao)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (only dao)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (multi-GB)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (Ezcd-No)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (yes-no)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (pioneer)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (Nero)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (standard)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession
(inconsistencies)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession
(inconsistencies)(ii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession
(inconsistencies)(iii)
Mike Richter's Cockamamie Mumbo Jumbo on DVD Multisession (erratic)

Mike Richter & Asshole Digging
Mike Richter & Asshole Digging (DVD error rates)
Mike Richter & Asshole Digging (professional)
Mike Richter & Asshole Digging (ii)
Mike Richter & Asshole Digging (Media Sciences)
Mike Richter & Asshole Digging (forgetful)
Mike Richter & Asshole Digging (unreadable)
Mike Richter & Asshole Digging (self erase)
Mike Richter & Asshole Digging (2x)(unreliable)
Mike Richter & Asshole Digging (2x)(lethal)
Mike Richter & Asshole Digging (dvd)

(To be continued)
Old January 1st 06, 05:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Who Is M R & Why is Sammy posting on NYE?

Clearly Sammy got 'burned' on his big NYE date to be posting Usenet at 2
AM... g

Try compiling some woo rather than your usual Boo-Hoo-Hoo next Year,
Laser Stud...

Tim K

"smh" wrote in message
Mike Richter, did you have a better time
on New Years Eve than I did?