HP DVD writer 300c fails reading normal CDs

Old August 28th 04, 04:55 AM
Mike Richter

Default HP DVD writer 300c fails reading normal CDs

Koen wrote:

Hi,
The DVD writer (300c) in my HP Pavillion PC (T370) stopped working. It still
reads DVD's but does not recognize normal data CD's nor music CD's. It
started a few weeks ago when it failed burning a CD's.
I found several others on the net having the same problem but no solution.
The PC is only 6 months old and i didnt use it much so i cannot believe it
has gone kaput.
Somebody any ideas?
Regards,
Koen

The idea is: it has gone kaput. Despite their superficial similarities,
DVDs and CDs use different lasers. Apparently, your CD read laser has
died or something else has had a similar effect. With luck, your
warranty will cover it - but that may be more trouble than your own
replacement would be worth.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old August 29th 04, 09:23 PM
Koen

I bought it in december; i didnt use it much..
I cannot believe it is already "kaput"...
If it is i never by HP again..

Thankx anyway
Koen

"Mike Richter" schreef in bericht

Old September 5th 04, 07:15 PM
ExaltedWombat

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:23:49 GMT, "Koen"
wrote:

I bought it in december; i didnt use it much..
I cannot believe it is already "kaput"...
If it is i never by HP again..

Nothing like striking an attitude based on a sample of one :-)
If you bought in December, isn't it under warrenty?
Old October 10th 04, 07:04 PM
onlygb

I have the EXACT same problem. Here's the deal...

I tried everything including changing the ASPI, removing and
reinstalling all the various drivers, nothing worked.

I called HP tech support after giving up and they told me that the
problem was with Windows XP SP2 and that I should call MSFT! Then,
they gave me the wrong number for MSFT. I called back and spoke to
someone else in India that knew how to remove SP2. He couldn't get
SP2 off however, because I had inadvertantly turned off system
restore (ouch.)

He finally gave up and told me to WIPE OUT EVERYTHING ON MY HARD DRIVE
AND DO A FULL RESTORE.

I did it and guess what?

The 300C HP DVD writer still doesn't work.

Yes, it's under warranty (I think) and I'm going to raise hell for the
hell they put me through.