How bad or good are CMC blanks for non-critical work e.g. "giveaway"discs?

Old October 5th 04, 09:15 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

sethra (Pipsqueak) squeaked:

Cory Seedan (Pipsqueak) squealed:

What the hell has this nonsense to do with my question?

Don't feed the trolls.
Just killfile them.

What friggin cold-hearted assholes!

Got no time to respond to this, Mikey?

========================
From: Curtis Croulet
Subject: had it with DirectCD
Date: 9/22/04

Mike Richter (Slimy ****) splattered:

try providing some usable information - OS, what kind of
write you're doing, what error messages you get.

snip Curtis' response
========================

Old October 5th 04, 01:45 PM
TommyDale

Cory Seedan wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 11:02:54 -0700, Mike Richter

Staples (USA) is extending that $7.99 sale another week for a
50-spindle of HP (made by CMC) CDR's. I guess they couldn't get rid
of enough of them last week. g

I normally buy *only* Fuji/TY as I know I can trust them. But...

Since they're cheap, (and I'm a cheap *******), I'm thinking of buying
a couple more spindles for "giveaway" and low-priority discs for times
when the Fuji's are kinda expensive for the task. Anybody know how the
CMC disks hold up over time -- disk rot, bit dropout, etc? I don't
mind burning at lower (20x-30x) speeds if they show errors at higher
speed - just that they hold data for at least 6 months before crapping
out. TIA for any comments!

The question is what errors you get when you record them, so measure the
error rate and make your own decision. For example, I've found some
inexpensive media which have reasonable error rates to 60 minutes or so;
I use them for such non-critical CD-DA purposes with that limit. I've
also found low-priced media with zero recoverable errors burning at 12x
on my Plexwriters and used them for many purposes short of mastering a
disc to be pressed.

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

As I said, I'd already burned several of the HP labeled CMC's with
data to the 650+ meg mark at 20x without any noticible errors,
recoverable or otherwise. I burned another 10 today without a single
error. Based on that, I bought a couple more spindles, just to use
for non-critical discs, e.g. giveaway and throwaway discs.

Just for shirts and goggles, I'm going to run a few on my old CDR
Diagnostic software ovenight and see the error-count that gets hidden
behind the recovery process.

Unfortunately, only a very low error rate is helpful in determining
longevity and it is not a sufficient measure. Where you need to be sure
that the disc will last, T-Y or Mitsui is still recommended.

Definitely. I use only Fuji/T-Y for my critical discs. But where I
don't need to be sure, media that costs half or less the price of T-Y
is easier on the wallet. It will be interesting to see what the true
error-rate on the cheap discs is, however.

For the record, I have never experienced a failure with the HP/CMC
CD-Rs. The only problem I have had is FINDING them at the local
Staples. It seems they want to put them in another location and make
people hunt for them. This past week, they had them BEHIND the
checkout counter, and customers had to ask for them. This is really
irritating, Staples!!
Old October 5th 04, 10:33 PM
Eric Gisin

Yes, smh is a very sick troll. It seems supernews.com ignores complaints.

Take a look at the earthlink.com/

"Cory Seedan" wrote in message

What the hell has this nonsense to do with my question?

Have you been scraping the dye off CDR's and smoking it in an attempt
to get high? Apparently it's done you massive and irreversible brain
damage instead. It might be helpful for you to consult a physical ans
psychiatric MD in order to determine which types and dosages of
medications that will stabilise what is left of your mental faculties.
You should also consider getting off the computer and use the money
you pay for internet service to cover the health insurance copayment.

You're _seriously_ ill, Mr. Hong, but medical science may yet allow
you to lead a somewhat normal and productive life -- if you act
quickly to get help to undo the worst of the dye poisoning and
resulting psychotic symptomatology.

--corey-

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:15:28 -0700, smh wrote:

. --------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://makeashorterlink.com/?A3ED13E69

( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

Mike Richter (Roxio ****) splattered:

snip

Old October 5th 04, 10:37 PM
Eric Gisin

Yes, smh is a very sick troll. It seems supernews.com ignores complaints.

Take a look at the mindspring.com/earthlink.net Acceptable Use Policy:
http://www.earthlink.net/about/policies/use/

Clearly he is violating parts d&m, possibly c.

Old October 5th 04, 11:53 PM
smh

-------------------------------
Some subject lines from Usenet:
-------------------------------

Eric Gisin Sodomizes Sheep
Eric Gisin, Newsgroup Faggot Punk
Eric Gisin, Aubsiive Newsgroup Cyberpunk

Troll Alert: Eric Gisin
Troll Elimination: Eric Gisin
Let's Stop the Troll Eric Gisin!
Riding USENET of one more troll: Eric Gisin
Eliminate the Troll Eric Gisin for a cleaner newsgroup.
Time to rid the newsgroups of one more usenet punk and troll: ERIC GISIN

Newsgroup Abuser Eric Gisin
Ridding the newsgroup of Gisin
For a cleaner newsgroup, let's get rid of Gisin

Eric Gisin (Newsgroup Faggot Punk) squeaked:

Old October 6th 04, 07:01 AM
smh

============================
An open letter to Eric Gisin
============================

From: smh
Subject: An open letter to Eric Gisin
Date: 9/18/04
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com

Winey wrote:

Eric,
Several days ago, you called me a "troll"

did IT ??!!

Old October 8th 04, 01:42 AM
Ron G

I was told today at my Staples -- where I've had very, very reliable
service over the years -- that HP was about to come out with a huge new
shipment of new discs and so the big dump oc these CMC's is under way.
Said they had very low return rate. I worked with HP for a long time and
though they are a pretty weird company in some respects, they have been
trying hard over the past year or so to improve quality at all levels so
maybe the discs are ok. At $7.50 they are worth the risk.