"This may cause problems reading the CD in some operating systems."

Old July 7th 04, 10:34 PM

Default "This may cause problems reading the CD in some operating systems."

Hi. Can anyone please tell me which OS' Roxio Easy CD Creator v5.2.0.56
is referring to? I am trying to burn files to CD-Rs and CD-RWs. I do
have one long list of folders that go nine folders deep.

I tried Windows 98 (first edition) and up to XP without problems with
this deep folder. Am I missing something?

Thank you in advance.
--
"For while the giants have just been talking about an information
superhighway, the ants have actually been building one: the Internet."
| |o o| | E-mail: NT or
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )
Old July 9th 04, 04:34 AM
Howard Kaikow

Let's be more precise.

There is not just one "ISO filesystem".

Clause 6.8.2.1 of ISO 9660 specifies that "The number of levels in the
hierarchy shall not exceed eight."

Clause 8.6.2 of ISO/IEC 13346-4, upon which UDF is based, states "The sum of
the number of directories and the number of files described by the
directories of a directory hierarchy shall be less than" 2^32. Clauses
8.7.1 and 15 of ISO/IEC 13346-4 do impose limits on the length of a path,
but not on the number of components in a path.

Depending on your target for use of the CD-ROM, you might wish to create
"UDF", not ISO 9660 media.
You just gotta find out what the target receiving system will accept.

Note that many CDs created on PCs actually do NOT Conform to ISO 9660, e.g.,
Joliet CDs do not conform, but every worthwhile system can still read those
CDs.
--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
"Mike Richter" wrote in message

Hi. Can anyone please tell me which OS' Roxio Easy CD Creator v5.2.0.56
is referring to? I am trying to burn files to CD-Rs and CD-RWs. I do
have one long list of folders that go nine folders deep.

I tried Windows 98 (first edition) and up to XP without problems with
this deep folder. Am I missing something?

Thank you in advance.

There will be problems with any OS which expects strict ISO filesystem.
That would include UNIX and DOS through 3.3 at least, as well as some
older Macs.

IIRC, even Windows 3.x accepted deeper nesting and some longer names.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old July 9th 04, 05:50 AM

So far, it is just Windows 98 (first edition) and up for my targets.
Thanks all!

Howard Kaikow wrote:
[...]

From "The Accidental Superhighway." The Economist: A Survey of the
Old July 9th 04, 08:20 AM
Mike Richter

Howard Kaikow wrote:

Let's be more precise.

There is not just one "ISO filesystem".

Which, of course, is why I said "strict ISO filesystem". Sometimes even
a single word may be relevant.

Strict ISO 9660 - 8.3, limited character set, eight levels - is the most
nearly universal format for mastering CDs. I have had it fail only on a
UNIX system which balked at the rev numbers until the administrator
brought it up to 1990 or so.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/