Burn Speeds And Times

Old June 24th 03, 02:17 AM
Scooter D

Default Burn Speeds And Times

I was just wondering what speeds most people are burning at and how long it takes.

Thanks

Liteon 52*24*52
Old June 24th 03, 03:18 AM
Dan G

The total time of a burn is very dependant on how fast(slow) a drive is at
writing the lead-in and lead-out, the software, etc. If you refer to the
actual time for the data burn, here are some general figures.
52x - 700MB, 2:30
48x - 700 MB, 2:45
40x - 700MB, 3:10

I have an Asus 52x drive that's about 10-15 sec faster, at any speed, than
my LiteOn 52x because it writes the lead-in/out faster.
I burn everything at 40x on TY or RiTEC TG media, and error rates are lower
than pressed CD's. I only use the LiteOn for burning cause it's so reliable
and error rates are the lowest of any drive I've seen.

m...

Old June 24th 03, 11:27 AM
NoNoBadDog!

This is really not a fair question. There are so many factors that come
into play that you cannot really compare one machine to another, or even one
session on a single machine to another. Processes running in the
background, the level of fragmentation of the hard drive that the data is
copied from, activity across the IDE bus, and other software making calls to
the CPU, the L1 and L2 Cache, the buffer size of the hard rive, the size of
the windows swap file, and the kind of data you are burning all have an
inpact on how fast an indiviual disk will write. You could create a
directory with your data to be burned, copy it to a CD-R, note the time it
takes to burn it, and then repeat the process. The times can vary by a few
seconds to well over a minute. The brand and type of disc you are writing
to, the "true" speed of the disc as oppose to it's advertised speed, the
ambient temperature inside the computer case...all can affect the burn time.
Just be glad that you are no longer stuck with 4X or 8X as your maximum
speed.

This does not even delve into the fact that the faster you burn, the more
likely it is that sime date will be lost or corrupted in the burn.
Personally, I have a 24X burner and it does not bother me that it takes 3 to
4 minutes to burn a disc. I am not a numbers junkie like so many are...for
critical data I burn at 4x for CD-R or DVD-R, and use verifitcation which
effectively doubles the time it takes to complete the disc...but I know that
my data is written accurately and will be there when I need it. Also, discs
burned at 48X and 52X are much less likely to be able to be read on other,
older drives.

The 48X and 52X are just overkill as far as I am concerned..they are just
for the number junkies who think their life is ruined unless they have the
"best" or the "fastest" or the "latest". I will settle for reliable burns
over fast burns any time.

By the way, this is all my opinion, and I am not asking anyone to support
it.

Bobby

m...