Buying advice?

Old March 25th 08, 03:01 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Default Buying advice?

wrote:

Michael Johnson
said:

wrote:

Is this a good place to ask what to buy? I've used BubbleJets and what all. My current printer is an HP DeskJet. I'm sick to death of messing around with expensive ink cartridges. I just saw a printer at Walmart the same price as it's ink cartridge! Some time back I saw a discussion somewhere about using color laser printers at home. It was said that even with the high cost of toner you could come out better than with ink carts. One recommendation was an HP 2550. But I just read that you have to replace the drum every time you run out of toner - a proposition that costs almost as much as a new printer. Some said color laser was really poor quality (low resolution? bad color?) so don't bother. The idea of a low end professional machine sounded good, but I'd like to hear more.

If you are looking for economical operating costs find a Canon printer that suits you that uses the CLI-8 cartridges and refill them. This method is by far more economical than a laser printer or buying OEM cartridges.

This gets immediately into the topic of getting messages of empty carts and/or the printer screeching to a halt when there is still ink to print with. I've been refilling carts for my HP DeskJet 930C. I got it hoping it was old enough to not have the fake "Out Of Ink" timers, but I think I missed it on that one. Sometimes by switching cartridges back and forth and back and forth and leaving the printer umplugged for long periods I can get refilling to work - sometimes not.

A real joke.  Spends more time screwing with the printer to get substandard results as opposed to used it the way the mfg intended.

So the question is, what's the "out of ink" deal with Canon and the CLI-8's? Are they resettable?

Nope

I had an Epson that was resettable, but the carts dried out almost over night.

Nice to hear that.

There's supposed to be a procedure for resetting mine, but it doesn't seem to work.

Epson did not want that feature

Actually I may have a bad color cart right now.

If it is not OEM that why do you even wonder about it.

Somewhere at least near the time I put the last one in I started getting an off register in blue. If not for that I'd be in no hurry. JimL

Old March 25th 08, 03:04 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Michael Johnson wrote:
wrote:
Michael Johnson said:

wrote:
[...]

CLI-8's? Are they resettable? I had an Epson that was resettable, but
the carts dried out almost over night. There's supposed to be a
procedure
for resetting mine, but it doesn't seem to work.

The Canon printers using the CLI-8 cartridges give you and out of ink
warning but will still let you print. You just lose ink monitoring
through software so you need to manually check the cartridges
occasionally. Others here can probably give more detail about what
exactly happens. You can refill the CLI-8 cartridges for less than $1
each which brings ink costs down to being nearly inconsequential.

But you loose Canon quality and risk your printer to clogging if you do
not print a great deal and possibly the warranty

Actually I may have a bad color cart right now. Somewhere at least near

Old March 25th 08, 04:24 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
LAX

Default Has measekite got a clogged head?

Old March 26th 08, 01:47 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Frank said:

measekite, our ng troll, wrote:

....just his usual lies.
Frank

Objectionable, yes. But I've found terms like "lies" and "liar" to be
massively overused on NG's. Being utterly and irretrievably stupid
doesn't make what you say a lie, merely beside the point, inane, insane,
laughable, ridiculous, irritating, disgusting, pathetic, etc., etc., etc.

JimL

--

America always does the right thing, but only after exhausting all other possibilities, Winston
Churchhill.
Old March 26th 08, 02:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

That reminds me of a very old joke. I'll just post the punch line:

"That poor little monkey trying to put the cork back in!"

JimL

Old March 26th 08, 03:08 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Arthur Entlich wrote:
When someone speaks or writes and posts malicious or intentional
untruths, what do you refer to those as, may I ask?

how about holier than thou

Art

Old March 26th 08, 04:21 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt[_3_]

wrote in message
Frank said:

measekite, our ng troll, wrote:

....just his usual lies.
Frank

Objectionable, yes. But I've found terms like "lies" and "liar" to be
massively overused on NG's. Being utterly and irretrievably stupid
doesn't make what you say a lie, merely beside the point, inane, insane,
laughable, ridiculous, irritating, disgusting, pathetic, etc., etc., etc.

JimL

Jim - You are much too kind! This fool has literally hijacked this NG at
times and spreads misinformation willfully. He has been the typical troll,
insulting, character assasination, profane, spouting nonsense like
repetitive lines from nursery rhymes when rational responses fail him,
maligning decent vendors and their products, attempting to defame the people
who continually give excellent advice, etc. He has "fished" for newbies to
engage in ongoing malicious dialogue. And, yes, he often lies, cherry picks
from articles to take out of context items that fit his distorted views,
holds himself up to be an expert by regurgitating snippets from reviews
instead of simply giving the link to the review. He is not "irretrievably
stupid" - he is irretrievably obnoxious and deceitful. Most of us who have
wasted our time trying to reason with him have simply killfiled him and only
see his nonsense when someone leaves his post when responding to him.
Fortunately this NG is not plagued with many trolls, spammers, or flamers.
One hyperactive, unceasingly present Measekite is more than enough. What I
have written in this post are the best compliments I can muster up for him -
good thing I don't feel like being really critical today!

Old March 26th 08, 05:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

I would call those lies.

But when you substitute "stupid or brainless irrelevancies" for "malicious
or intentional untruths" the picture is different.

Old March 26th 08, 05:19 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Frank said:

measekite wrote:

Arthur Entlich wrote:

When someone speaks or writes and posts malicious or intentional
untruths, what do you refer to those as, may I ask?

how about holier than thou

How about an idiot named measher****head...LOL!
Frank

You should be careful how you talk about holy trolls!!

JimL