SAN to SAN migration

Old September 26th 07, 03:06 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
snapbean

Default SAN to SAN migration

Any help here would be greatly appreciated...I'm in an unusual
scenario with this migration. I have a LUN that was partitioned into
2 drive G: and H: . I need to migrate these 2 drives to 2 new
Seperate LUNS on a new SAN. The issue turns out to be that since the
current LUN is partitioned most apps don't want to make it easy
because I'm not really doing a LUN to LUN migration. Xcopy will work
but takes a terribly long time b/c of the files on the LUNs are so
many, 1000's of small files in many directories and it takes much
time. Does anyone have any ideas on a block level app possibly that
will let me choose G: to a new LUN and then H: to a new LUN??

THANKs

Cliff

Old September 26th 07, 05:53 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Rob Turk[_2_]

"snapbean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Any help here would be greatly appreciated...I'm in an unusual
scenario with this migration. I have a LUN that was partitioned into
2 drive G: and H: . I need to migrate these 2 drives to 2 new
Seperate LUNS on a new SAN. The issue turns out to be that since the
current LUN is partitioned most apps don't want to make it easy
because I'm not really doing a LUN to LUN migration. Xcopy will work
but takes a terribly long time b/c of the files on the LUNs are so
many, 1000's of small files in many directories and it takes much
time. Does anyone have any ideas on a block level app possibly that
will let me choose G: to a new LUN and then H: to a new LUN??

THANKs

Cliff

Have you considered setting up a software mirror between the old LUN and the
new LUN, then later once it's in sync break the mirror again by removing the
old LUN?

Rob

Old September 26th 07, 07:11 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Dieter Stumpner

snapbean wrote:
Any help here would be greatly appreciated...I'm in an unusual
scenario with this migration. I have a LUN that was partitioned into
2 drive G: and H: . I need to migrate these 2 drives to 2 new
Seperate LUNS on a new SAN. The issue turns out to be that since the
current LUN is partitioned most apps don't want to make it easy
because I'm not really doing a LUN to LUN migration. Xcopy will work
but takes a terribly long time b/c of the files on the LUNs are so
many, 1000's of small files in many directories and it takes much
time. Does anyone have any ideas on a block level app possibly that
will let me choose G: to a new LUN and then H: to a new LUN??

THANKs

Cliff

Hi Cliff!

Sorry i am not a windows professional, but did u try some consumer
products like partition magic, ghost, hdcopy, ...?

I typical use the dd command from linux to copy one partition to an
other one (dd doesnt care about the content of a partition). But you
could have troubles to boot with linux (eg. live cd) and get your luns
proper mapped. Not every hba was recognized at linux.

with best regards
Dieter Stumpner
Old October 2nd 07, 03:01 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
AnthonyL[_2_]

Hey Cliff,

You have a couple options I can think of off the top of my head..

1) In the windows world robocopy is often used for moves/migrations
similar to what you're doing. You've probably heard of it, but the main
benefit is that it can perform an incremental copy after you've one your
first full sync/copy. So the methodology would be to run robocopy while
the source LUN is in production and copy all of the data over (first
pass). Sometime later when you decide to do the actual cutover, stop
all access to the first LUN/volume then run the same robocopy command
again and it'll only copy over the changed/added files. See the guide
for robocopy as there are a lot of options.

2) Using a file/volume level replication tool, options are EMC's
replistor, NetApp's Topio, or NSI Doubletake. All of these products
basically behave similarly. They'll let you replicate at the filesystem
level from one system to another and in most cases within the same
system (you'll have to check limitations for each vendor)

You wont be able to perform a real block level copy because the LUN is
partitioned by the OS so you'll need to use a filesystem level tool.
Check out robocopy though, it's pretty much the standard for
moving/migrating data cheaply and easily in the windows world.

Hope that helps or at least gives you some more avenues to explore!

-Anthony