Seeking AMD Thoroughbred B

Old July 15th 05, 10:00 AM
Jon D

Default Seeking AMD Thoroughbred B

Am in the UK looking to get a AMD Athlon Throughbred-B processor.
Prefereably new (if still possible) else reliable secondhand.

Am looking for one of these:
2200+ AXDA2200DUV3C
2100+ AXDA2100DUT3C (plus step B)
2000+ AXDA2000DUT3C (plus step B)

Maybe even:
1900+ AXDA1900DUT3C

Is any decent retailers still selling these in the UK?

Not ebuyer please!
http://www.romulus2.com/feedback/company.php?137

Thanks for any help

Jon

---------

By way of background, this chart shows the range of Throughbred-
Bs:
http://www.ultimatehardware.net/xpchart/xpchart.htm

As background, part numbers & basic specs are here for
Throughbred-Bs.
http://tinyurl.com/99wbv
http://fab51.com/cpu/guide/opn-xp-e.html#t-bred

Old July 15th 05, 10:10 AM
Rab C Nesbitt

"Jon D" wrote in message
[...]

Ebay, like everything else...

Old July 15th 05, 02:48 PM
A. J. Moss

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 10:00:36 +0100, Jon D wrote:
Am in the UK looking to get a AMD Athlon Throughbred-B processor.
Prefereably new (if still possible) else reliable secondhand.

Am looking for one of these:
2200+ AXDA2200DUV3C
2100+ AXDA2100DUT3C (plus step B)
2000+ AXDA2000DUT3C (plus step B)

If you're looking to overclock, I have an Athlon XP-M 2400+ Barton
AXMH2400???4C, which is basically a multiplier-unlocked XP2200+ with
twice the L2 cache. Is that going to be any use?
Old July 16th 05, 09:56 PM
Chris Howells

Jon D wrote:

Don't know much about mobile processors. I guess the cpu core speed
will stay at a low idling speed unless it is specially configured.

How do you keep the processor on an XP-M running at max core speed?

BTW my mobo (Syntax 266) uses a Via 266 chipset and SDRAM.

AFAIK the speed that the Athlon XP-Ms run at is controlled by varying
the multiplier (so unlocked multiplier == more convenient for
overclockers). This would be up to the motherboard to control.
Old July 22nd 05, 06:37 PM
A. J. Moss

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:35:53 +0100, Jon D wrote:
On Fri 15 Jul 2005 14:48:16, A. J. Moss wrote:

If you're looking to overclock, I have an Athlon XP-M 2400+
Barton AXMH2400???4C, which is basically a multiplier-unlocked
XP2200+ with twice the L2 cache. Is that going to be any use?

Don't know much about mobile processors. I guess the cpu core speed
will stay at a low idling speed unless it is specially configured.

How do you keep the processor on an XP-M running at max core speed?

BTW my mobo (Syntax 266) uses a Via 266 chipset and SDRAM.

The multiplier setting is handled by the motherboard, which in practice
means by the BIOS. It is only laptops whose BIOS usually allows real
time changing of the multiplier; with desktops, you set the multiplier
in the BIOS setup screen, and it stays at that value (even if you're
running software that makes the CPU go into low-power idle mode).

I'm lucky in that I've got a relatively modern motherboard, around
the Via KT400 vintage. It can detect XP-M CPUs and configure them
automatically. Older motherboards (like yours) will default to a
multiplier of 6x, and allow you to change the multiplier manually.
Often they won't even let you go above 12.5x, because they're not
properly configured for five L3 bridges.

If you've got such an old motherboard that it still uses SDRAM, then
there's no guarantee that it will work with Thoroughbred B CPUs at all.
Give me 30 pounds for my working Athlon XP 2000+ Palomino.