Curious about users' experiences with CDP

Old August 30th 06, 09:54 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
W. Curtis Preston

Default Curious about users' experiences with CDP

It's a popular topic among industry experts (myself included), but I
don't get to talk to many people that are actually deploying CDP
technology. I thought I'd use my renewed interest in Usenet to see if
there's anyone out there who'd like to actually talk about their
experiences (good or bad) with CDP.

Anyone? Bueller?

Old August 31st 06, 04:37 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Dale Ghent

W. Curtis Preston wrote:
It's a popular topic among industry experts (myself included), but I
don't get to talk to many people that are actually deploying CDP
technology. I thought I'd use my renewed interest in Usenet to see if
there's anyone out there who'd like to actually talk about their
experiences (good or bad) with CDP.

Anyone? Bueller?

I'm drawing a blank. What's CDP? The only CDP I know of is Cisco
Discovery Protocol, and that has nothing to do with SANs or storage.

/dale
Old August 31st 06, 12:45 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Ernst S Blofeld

Dale Ghent wrote:

I'm drawing a blank. What's CDP? The only CDP I know of is Cisco
Discovery Protocol, and that has nothing to do with SANs or storage.

Continuous Data Protection

ESB

Old August 31st 06, 02:42 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

Interesting choice of words "expert" - anyway - more useful data would
be:
CDP is a good soltuion for applications where downtime is not an option
however it comes at a cost (as does everything in IT). Storage
requirements for the on-line pool of data to recover from typically run
3x to 7x the primary storage of the application(s) and this is a
funciton of your RPO/RTO (recovery point/time objectives). Much like
all backup, CDP is the "Loyds of London" of insurance policies when it
comes to protecting mission critical data, just get your checkbook out.

Old September 1st 06, 06:22 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
W. Curtis Preston

I'm guessing by your reply that you're doubting my "expert" status. I
suppose that's fair, since you don't know me. Just search on "Curtis
Preston CDP," or "Curtis Preston" on Google, and I think you'll find
enough to consider me an expert. (I've written many articles, a few
books, and given dozens of seminars that include the topic.) I may be
new to this newsgroup, but I'm certainly not new to the topic.

I didn't ask what CDP was, or when it was appropriate, which I think is
the question you were trying to answer. What I asked was "is there
anybody out there using any CDP products that would like to share their
experiences?" I have a similar desire as the company from whom your
email address is derived (not sure if you're a member or if you work
there). I know what _I_ say about CDP. I know what my fellow industry
experts say about CDP. I _know_ about CDP. What I DON'T get to do is
talk to many people actually using it.

So, is anybody out there actually using CDP? I'd love to talk online
or offline.

BTW, for those who don't know what CDP is, it's continuous data
replication. Think replication, but with the ability to turn back the
knob, and undo as many writes as you want to undo. True CDP allows you
to restore a critical application right to the second just before the
failure. And yes, I would agree with the comment that it's the Lloyd's
of backup.