fans turn on then off

Old July 25th 08, 06:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
titani

Default fans turn on then off

Hello,

I built the PC myself, yet it does not boot. When I press the Power
On switch, the fans turn on for about a second, then they turn off
automatically. I checked the standoffs. I remove the motherboard
from the case. I disconnected all drives, and the video card. I
removed the CPU then put it back. Yet the behavior is still the
same. What could it be?

Thanks,
T.I
Old July 25th 08, 08:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Mick Sitton[_3_]

"titani" wrote in message
Hello,

I built the PC myself, yet it does not boot. When I press the Power
On switch, the fans turn on for about a second, then they turn off
automatically. I checked the standoffs. I remove the motherboard
from the case. I disconnected all drives, and the video card. I
removed the CPU then put it back. Yet the behavior is still the
same. What could it be?

Thanks,
T.I

You have put some thermal grease or similar in between the CPU and heatsink,
haven't you ?

Old July 25th 08, 08:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Andy Burns[_2_]

On 25/07/2008 06:10, titani wrote:

I built the PC myself, yet it does not boot. When I press the Power
On switch, the fans turn on for about a second, then they turn off
automatically. I checked the standoffs. I remove the motherboard
from the case. I disconnected all drives, and the video card. I
removed the CPU then put it back. Yet the behavior is still the
same. What could it be?

Presumably nothing else turns back on at all?

I had a P5E WS-PRO which developed the same fault a couple of days after
installation, it had to be RMA'ed.
Old July 25th 08, 12:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
titani

On Jul 25, 2:46*am, "Mick Sitton" wrote:
"titani" wrote in message

Hello,

I built the PC myself, yet it does not boot. *When IpressthePower
Onswitch, thefansturnon for about a second, then theyturnoff
automatically. *I checked the standoffs. *I remove the motherboard
from the case. *I disconnected all drives, and the video card. *I
removed the CPU then put it back. *Yet the behavior is still the
same. *What could it be?

Thanks,
T.I

You have put some thermal grease or similar in between the CPU and heatsink,
haven't you ?

There is thermal grease between the CPU and the heatsink. And, the
fans are turning off after only one second of pressing the power on
switch. Surely the CPU does not overheat in one second.
Old July 25th 08, 12:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
titani

On Jul 25, 2:47*am, Andy Burns
wrote:
On 25/07/2008 06:10, titani wrote:

I built the PC myself, yet it does not boot. *When IpressthePower
Onswitch, thefansturnon for about a second, then theyturnoff
automatically. *I checked the standoffs. *I remove the motherboard
from the case. *I disconnected all drives, and the video card. *I
removed the CPU then put it back. *Yet the behavior is still the
same. *What could it be?

Presumably nothing else turns back on at all?

I had a P5E WS-PRO which developed the same fault a couple of days after
installation, it had to be RMA'ed.

My motherboard is the P5E-PRO. Which motherboard did you get instead?
Old July 25th 08, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
RobV[_2_]

titani wrote:
Hello,

I built the PC myself, yet it does not boot. When I press the Power
On switch, the fans turn on for about a second, then they turn off
automatically. I checked the standoffs. I remove the motherboard
from the case. I disconnected all drives, and the video card. I
removed the CPU then put it back. Yet the behavior is still the
same. What could it be?

Thanks,
T.I

A little more information, such as MB maker and model, memory, CPU, etc.
would help.

After the fans stop turning, wait about 30 seconds. Do they come back
on?

And, when you say the fans shut off, does that mean the computer shuts
down as well?

Old July 25th 08, 08:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Hobo

Went through the same thing a week ago. Turned out to be a faulty power
supply even though it was new.

Hobo

Old July 25th 08, 08:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Andy Burns[_2_]

On 25/07/2008 12:30, titani wrote:

My motherboard is the P5E-PRO. Which motherboard did you get instead?

Another P5E-WS-PRO, this one has been fine.