NEWBIE: Needs advice on selecting graphic cards

Old December 17th 04, 11:09 PM
Ricky Romaya

Default NEWBIE: Needs advice on selecting graphic cards

Hi,

I recently want to upgrade my ol' P100 classic to P4 class PC. I need
advice for buying a new graphics card.

I've decided to get P4 2.4GHz on Gigabyte GA-8IPE100-G (865PE chipset). Now
I need a decent graphic card for my very tight budget. I'm considering a
card with either NVidia FX5200 or MX4000, or ATI 9200SE or 9250. The
highest chipset that my budget can get is FX5200 or ATI 9250. Specifically,
I'm considering these card (largely because availability, listed by
ascending prices):

1. Cardex MX4000 (lowest price)
2. PixelView MX4000 (2nd lowest price)
3. Albatron FX5200 (medium price)
4. Elsa Falcox 925L (ATI 9250) (2nd medium price)
5. PixelView FX5200 (high price)
6. Asus A9200SE (ATI 9200SE) (highest price)

I'm not a very casual gamer (meaning: I hardly play games) but I intend to
do some (light) 3D works (Lightwave 7/8), and medium 2D works (Photoshop).
I want to get the best value for the money.

I've read some not very encouraging reviews on both FX5200 and/or 92x0
chipsets. Should I get MX4000 instead (Cardex has the lowest price, and
PixelView is on the 2nd place) then wait for for another budget boost
(somehow) and aim at higher chipset cards (like NVidia 6x00 or ATI X
series)?

TIA