ACER News

Old January 11th 04, 03:42 PM

Default ACER News

Hi,

I have been in touch with Acer Service/helpDesk manager in two countries
very frequently on quality issues.

803LCI (and basically all 800 series, and applicable to 600 series).

1. 4A12
Does sometime hang your system, and can't be rebooted for few hours.
Thought hardware issue, but upgrading to lower or higher version, never had
the problem. Acer didn't know what's wrong.

2. Blurry external output.
I read archive of this news about updated driver being the answer, THIS IS
BULL****. Get your unit to the service center, ask for inverter change. If
the engineer didn't know what it's all about, ask them to ask Taiwan
engineer. By this time, it should be available on their internal knowledge
base. Took me forever to convince them, it's a hardware issue.

3. Battery weak
Seldom use the battery (on A/C, battery unplugged). battery has lost 15% of
it's maximum charge in 6 months. My Dell, still has 100% full charge
capacity after 18 months.

4. Wireless can't be regonized in supplied ProSet (Intel)

5. Bluetooth module (added by Acer in 803) can't be recognized in Launch
Manager

6. Rapid charging is a BIG LIE. 1,5 hours to reach 80% not to 100%

7. Wireless range sucks. What you can expect of cheapo quality

8. Paid premium price for 803LCI and saw 800 USD decline in 3 months.

9. No driver update except those that come from Intel so far. Compared to
other vendors, by 1 year, there should be few patches for display driver
etc. Acer known to be very lazy at updating drivers.

10. Cheapo CDRW drivers - Quanta ....

650xxxx

1. USB 2.0 (VIA Chipset) is a nightmare.... many external usb 2.0 storage
doesn't work

610, 600, 420

1. O2micro needs patch before work perfectly with PCMCIA USB 2.0 cards and
usb2.0 harddisk. Again Acer lazy at looking, had to liase with o2micro
directly to get updated patch. Many people spent countless hours to get
fixes directly, and acer just get money from new notebooks.

Smartcard in 6xx, 8xx

Ha.. what a joke, outdated software, can be bypass, no documentation, weak
encryption. What can you expect this to secure your system.

---

So folks, get your butt to service center, get your inveter changed to fix
the blurry output... I neve rheard a big manufacturer made so much mess... a
proof of poor quality.
Old January 12th 04, 02:55 AM
Rackie

To put it bluntly, per my experiences and others I know who have
contacted Acer Tech, its non existant. A 12 year could give better
advice. I'll never buy another Acer because of that and thats the
bottom line. There are other laptop versions with problems but they
fall on Deaf Ears at Acer.

Old January 12th 04, 12:01 PM

Agreed, The tech support for hardware replacement is good, but for driver or
troubles really unreliable
Old January 12th 04, 12:59 PM
tim

Which country are you referring to?