A8N SLI deluxe, nvraid 0 question

Old February 22nd 05, 08:38 PM
Corwin [anti-spam]

Default A8N SLI deluxe, nvraid 0 question

Hi,

I have 1 hard drive on primary sata with Windows XP already installed and
working weel.
I added the same hard drive on secondary sata and now would like to build a
Raid 0 config.

How can I configure using the Nvraid to avoid reinstalling windows XP?

Thanks for any advice

Old February 22nd 05, 09:24 PM
Frank

How can I configure using the Nvraid to avoid reinstalling windows XP?

No chance. There is no way to built a Raid array 0 with an existing
installed windows on one of the hard disks. If you read raid specs it will
be more obvious.

Raid uses both hdds to write data at the same time, speeding up the writing.
If you got an existing drive and add one to build a raid, how will the
controller be able to divide the software. No chance.

Sorry. You have to built up the raid 0 in the controller, thus destroying
your winxp an then reinstall it on the raid.

Old February 22nd 05, 10:24 PM
Tim

The Intel ICH5R and 6R controllers can supposedly do this... However this is
no help to you.

Ghost.

Old February 24th 05, 11:53 PM
Ben Pope

Corwin [anti-spam] wrote:
Hi,

I have 1 hard drive on primary sata with Windows XP already installed
and working weel.
I added the same hard drive on secondary sata and now would like to
build a Raid 0 config.

How can I configure using the Nvraid to avoid reinstalling windows XP?

Why do you want RAID0?

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101

Best advise is to leave them as seperate drives, and stick your page file on
the least used one.

Leaving them seperate gives you more flexibilty, and much less risk of data
loss, with only a marginal (and I'm talking 2% at most) performance "loss".

Ben