nvraid error Win10

Old July 11th 16, 06:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm X

Default nvraid error Win10

On 2016-07-11 2:56 AM, Paul wrote:
[snippage]
This is an example of a typical command while
working with an HPA. You do one of these, then
reboot, as you cannot issue a second HPA related
command in the same session. You cannot insert
an HPA and remove an HPA, without rebooting.
It's a hardware trap door, and not something
you can program around in the Linux kernel or
anything. It's the way the hardware works
(on purpose).

sudo hdparm --yes-i_know_what_i_am_doing -N p# /dev/sdX

I remember it cost me a reboot, learning that
I had to add the idiotic

--yes-i_know_what_i_am_doing

to make the command work :-) Of course I don't
know what I'm doing. Why make it obvious ? :-)

HTH,
Paul

I think maybe you are conflation Windows and Linux. Nevertheless there
are different methods to achieve the same ends. In the present case, I
tried to use PMagic to format the Seagate. It failed and I think the
reason it failed is the lack of a partition table. PMagic couldn't
even SEE the HDD. nor could the Win10 DVD. Maybe PMagic can solve that
problem, and create a partition table, I'll check.

You can use whatever tools you want, to examine the disk.

You could try PTEDIT32 if you have a copy.

The free copy is no longer available from Symantec.
(It's been sitting on the FTP server for years, but got
removed - consequently my answers no longer refer to it.)

I recommend using whatever good tools you have access to.
I frequently use Linux, if a maintenance task calls for
it and I don't have a Windows tool.

For example, there are some messes you can get into,
that Disk Management simply cannot handle. If you do a
block by block copy of a hybrid ISO onto a USB key for
example, that can be just about impossible to clean off
with Windows GUI tools. And then you have to be creative,
and check your tool box for another method.

I have a copy of Disktype I built in Cygwin, but it
would take a whole post to describe how to do it. I'd
have to install Cygwin again, just to write it up.

The Disktype in Linux (cross-platform) is available
instantly from the Package Manager, without a fuss.
And it scans the disk and tries to give you a
picture of what is on it.

I don't know of a single tool that does a comprehensive
review of storage device contents and gives an
unambiguous picture of the mess you're in.

Your Partition Magic results are weird, and smack of a
geometry problem. But for me, it's faster to try to
get other tools to identify the situation, than to
debug what Partition Magic did this time. I mean, Partition
Magic gets ****ed off if it spots megabyte alignment,
and that is exactly what your Windows 10 install is
going to do. If you don't want Windows 10 to do that,
you would do an MSDOS setup of an NTFS partition
in advance, so Windows could not use the Win10
default alignment choice. That's the way I got
myself in a mess with Win7 - installed in a
pre-existing NTFS partition (with CHS alignment),
and then later I couldn't figure out when I needed
megabyte alignment, why it wasn't there :-) The
hard drive I had just purchased, hated the CHS
alignment and it was slower than it needed to be.
It perked up after putting the alignment in, that
Windows would have used in the first place if
I hadn't been so clever. That sort of thing
happens on 512e drives with 4KB internal sectors.
Something you can spot from... Linux :-)

Bottom drive here is 512n (native), alignment doesn't matter.
Works good on any OS. While the top drive
needs megabyte alignment for best performance.
The top drive is 512e (emulated). Most drives
today (percentage wise) are 512e.

http://s28.postimg.org/fmmz92g59/disk_comparison.gif

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I booted BartPE and found it without needed tools.

At this point, the hypothesis that Seagate is without partition table is
consistent with observation.

William of Occam: Let not entities multiply.

PMagic has tool for 'disk 0 MBR'. Maybe that will work.

Now that the graphics processor has been removed (temporary), I should
be able to boot any Linux Live DVD. Heck, I might even install Linux
first and then overwrite.
Old July 11th 16, 07:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm X

64-bit Kali Linux is now installing. First step, it created a partition
table. On the Seagate product box it says that this 1 TB drive is
compatible with Win ... , Linux and Mac OS. It is sold as a raw drive.
It's a virgin.
Old July 26th 16, 08:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm X[_2_]

"Too many quoted lines" can get you in trouble with your FREE newserver.
After a short exile, I'm back to complete this tread. ...

I mistakenly purchased a "Advanced Format" drive from BestBuy. I would need
a motherboard upgrade to use it. But then I found a suitable HDD that had
only seen a few hours service since 2008, my backup drive.

There is a bundle of Seagate Limited Warranty forms in the box. If I had
made the purchase at a BestBuy in Australia, they would be compelled to
refund my purchase price.

Lesson: move to Australia and get a better deal at BestBuy

Old July 26th 16, 09:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Norm X wrote:
"Too many quoted lines" can get you in trouble with your FREE newserver.
After a short exile, I'm back to complete this tread. ...

I mistakenly purchased a "Advanced Format" drive from BestBuy. I would need
a motherboard upgrade to use it. But then I found a suitable HDD that had
only seen a few hours service since 2008, my backup drive.

There is a bundle of Seagate Limited Warranty forms in the box. If I had
made the purchase at a BestBuy in Australia, they would be compelled to
refund my purchase price.

Lesson: move to Australia and get a better deal at BestBuy

Look for a WD RE drive at twice the price ?

In the document here, a 512n is 512/512, a 512e (emulated)
is 512/4096, and a 4Kn is 4096/4096.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/librar...178-771210.pdf

Examples from some of my drive purchases as seen in Linux.

ata2.00: ATA-8: WDC WD2000FYYZ-01UL1B2, 01.01K03, max UDMA/133
ata4.00: ATA-9: WDC WD5003AZEX-00MK2A0, 01.01A01, max UDMA/133
ata6.00: ATA-8: WDC WD3001FAEX-00MJRA0, 01.01L01, max UDMA/133

Disk /dev/sda: 1.8 TiB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Disk /dev/sdb: 465.8 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Disk /dev/sdc: 2.7 TiB, 3000592982016 bytes, 5860533168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

The FAEX should no longer be in production. That's
a previous generation of WD Black. The current WD Black
is likely to be 512e. However, the WD RE WD2000FYYZ
would be available. I wanted a smaller drive,
like a WD RE 500GB or 1TB, but at the time, my
local computer store had only the 2TB model.
At a princely price.

The benefit of 512n, is is doesn't need alignment.
A drive you can use for WinXP C: , without doing
a thing.

The benefit of 512e, is older OSes still see "512 byte
sectors" reported. The drives still require alignment,
for example if you install Win7 and managed to mis-align
things (by formatting a potential C: partition in WinXP first),
you get better disk performance after you fix it.

The 4Kn has no benefits. It's the ******* child from hell.
Does UEFI support it ? Dunno. Some of the later OSes only
support it, via a patch. So you'd install a patch while
your OS was on a 512e drive, then clone the OS over
to the 4Kn drive, then try to boot off it. In other
words, nothing but one experiment after another.

The really curious part of this, is I've seen listings
that include 512n at the 6TB level. So they can make them
if they want to. I don't know what hit you take on
BER (bit error rate, corrected or uncorrected) by doing that.

Paul