P5WD2E- PREMIUM D-805 PC shuts off by itself

Old October 4th 07, 03:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
timO'

Default P5WD2E- PREMIUM D-805 PC shuts off by itself

for no apparent reason pc just shuts off by itself . I have a Zalman
fan. what should my readings be? what should my settings be? front
case fan rear case fan, cpu fan,ps fan all spinning.
..
I had the side cover off for a while but put it back after first
shutdown.
the case has a temp probe which i put on the heartsink on the mobo
chipset has always read about 36C as is doing so now tooi, though may
have been higher with cover off. it isn't even summer anymore.
thought i heard a vibration ao that's why i hade cover off to
investigate. seems to be one of the hard drives, but not severe and no
apparent performance problems, right now mb says 100F cpu 120F
please help

Old October 4th 07, 07:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

.
I had the side cover off for a while but put it back after first
shutdown.
the case has a temp probe which i put on the heartsink on the mobo
chipset has always read about 36C as is doing so now tooi, though may
have been higher with cover off. it isn't even summer anymore.
thought i heard a vibration ao that's why i hade cover off to
investigate. seems to be one of the hard drives, but not severe and no
apparent performance problems, right now mb says 100F cpu 120F
please help

Possible reasons for shutdown, would be a CPU overheat problem, or
the PSU shutdown because it detected a problem.

CPU overheat is set at two levels. The first temperature is the
"throttle" temperature, and the processor will slow its computing
rate, to try to control the temperature.

If that fails to work, and the processor gets hot enough, the
THERMTRIP temperature is reached. At that point, as long as the
THERMTRIP signal is wired to the motherboard logic, the motherboard
should turn off the PSU.

Throttle is around 65C, and THERMTRIP is at least 20C more than
that. On some of the older P4 processors, THERMTRIP was up around
135C. You can get exact numbers from an Intel processor datasheet.

120F is about 49C, and no reason for the processor to get excited.

So I suppose that leaves a PSU problem. Is the air coming from the
PSU very hot ? Hotter than you would normally expect ? Have there
been any startup issues with the PSU, or other warning signs ?
Any funny smells from the PSU ? Have you visually inspected the
capacitors on the motherboard, for leaking or bulging tops ? Maybe
a problem with the motherboard, is causing the PSU to protect
itself.

Paul
Old October 4th 07, 12:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
timO'

On Oct 4, 2:45 am, Paul wrote:
timO' wrote:
[...]

system is less than year old has this pc probe app i never use butr it
tells you temps mobo is 122 this morning.
no smells.
like out of no where.
thanks for the feedback

Old October 6th 07, 07:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
GHalleck

timO' wrote:

On Oct 4, 2:45 am, Paul wrote:

timO' wrote:

[...]

Motherboard temperature should not be significantly greater than ambient.
If it is, then it indicates poor air flow through the chassis. What is the
threshold temperature for the motherboard warning and trip? OTOH, a high
motherboard temperature also indicates that the CPU temperature is also
high since the measuring points are in relatively close proximity to
each other. While CPU throttling would occur at around 65 deg C., this
is a feedback control action and the CPU could well be spiking up to
its maximum temperature at which it will shut down.
Old October 14th 07, 01:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
timO'

On Oct 6, 2:30 pm, GHalleck wrote:
timO' wrote:
On Oct 4, 2:45 am, Paul wrote:

timO' wrote:

[...]

i bought another 80mm (red cold cathode) fan and stuck it onto the
side of the chassis cover. there had been a plastic cowl there
originally but i removed it so the zalman fan would fit. but there is
room for this fan and it is blowing out
.. so i have the zalman, the fan in the power supply, an 80mm on the
back and a slightly larger fan in the front and this one. pretty
noisey but it's not an issue.the sound of air moving.
before i added the last fan i noticed the mb temp would actually go up
if i had the side off the case.
with the new fan installed and the case assembled the asus probe says
cpu is 47C and the mobo is 27C
the case has a temp display and i placed the sensor in the fins of the
mobo chipset. it is noe 23C the new fan dropped the mobo temp 10C.
i must've bought the wrong fans and ps because I am unable to monitor
or adjust
any of the fans except the cpu one.
how do you know if a case ps or fan is fully compliant with ASUS and/
or ASUS probe?
thanks for the feedback
any way no more sudden stops.

Old October 14th 07, 04:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

timO' wrote:

[...]

To monitor a fan, the fan must have a three wire cable on it. A lot of
case fans have two wires, and the RPM signal is missing. Without an
RPM signal, the hardware monitor will read zero for the channel.

The CPU fans are usually pretty good, and those have the RPM signal on
them. So at the very least, you should be seeing a figure for the CPU
fan speed.

The other issue is fan speed control.

If a product offers "QFan", that means the CPU fan speed is adjusted
by some means. If the product offers "QFan2", that means the CPU fan
and one other fan header, are adjusted. The CPU fan speed would be
related to the measured CPU temperature. The chassis fan speed would be
controlled by the "Motherboard Temperature" or closest equivalent
measure.

Be aware, that the retail Intel fan, already has one control method
built in. A third party heatsink/fan might be missing that feature,
so the behavior will be a bit different. The Intel fan has a thermistor
inside the fan hub. It samples the case air temperature. The hotter the
case air gets, the faster the Intel CPU fan spins.

On the other hand, the Asus control algorithm, measures the CPU temperature
(diode based, and measured by the hardware monitor chip). When the CPU
hits maybe 50C, the Asus control should speed the fan up. It is the
combination of the built-in Intel feature in the fan hub, plus the
voltage level fed by the Asus control, that determines the actual
fan speed.

If QFan is disabled, the Intel feature will still work, and the fan
will gradually speed up, as the case air temperature increases.

I generally let my fans run full speed. I have one really noisy fan,
and for that one, I put a fixed voltage reducer in series with the
12V feed to the fan. (You can buy a Zalman FanMate II to do that,
but I built my own from 1N4000 series diodes. Seven diodes in a row,
drops 5 volts of voltage level. I got the diodes for $0.10 each.)
So my fans run at the same speed all the time, which I find less
irritating than listening to fans spool up and slow down again,
every minute of the day. My CPU never goes above about 43C. My
computer case, is only 4C warmer than the room air.

HTH,
Paul